ah, i didn't know about that 30s cap on your camera. i understand now. looking forward to more spectacular shots from you.

Most (read nearly all) DSLRs have 30-sec cap on the shutter speed. You can adjust for that by opening the aperture as far as you can go or bumping the ISO up really high.

Now for my question...

Any shooters have any thoughts on the Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A007)? The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM is (as far as I've seen) priced out of my price range for what I want to spend.

Tamron is hit or miss. I get camera synch issues pretty frequently and one of my lenses is noticeably softer than it should be. If your camera offers a manual fine focus mode, that might not be a big issue.

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to lenses.

ah, i didn't know about that 30s cap on your camera. i understand now. looking forward to more spectacular shots from you.

as for me, i had a year or so dalliance with Nikon, but now i am back to my first love, Olympus.

7111764997_f513a7b4c4.jpg

i've only had the Olympus E-M5 a few weeks but in that time she has thoroughly impressed me. looks like i my Nikon D7000 will end up in the cabinet, at least until F1 weekend comes around.

sharing a some shots, all camera jpegs. i really gotta learn Lightroom and post-processing...

Olympus E-M5, Zuiko 45/1.8

Nikon D7000, Sigma 17-50/2.8, NikkorFX 28-300/3.5-5.6

Olympus E-PL1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Panasonic 45-200/4-5.6

Wow those are quality work man! Very impressed with all of them.

Most (read nearly all) DSLRs have 30-sec cap on the shutter speed. You can adjust for that by opening the aperture as far as you can go or bumping the ISO up really high.

Now for my question...

Any shooters have any thoughts on the Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A007)? The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM is (as far as I've seen) priced out of my price range for what I want to spend.

Also very interested on that lens, might have to rent it out first. Alot of reviews from the interwebs said that the lens is good but nothing stellar. As far as the The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, i might have to sell my kidneys for that. I hate my 24-70mm F2.8 L, its not the sharpest but its the most used out of the bunch because of its focal length.

Edited by Vegas

? The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM is (as far as I've seen) priced out of my price range for what I want to spend.

The reviews on the forums arnt that great on that lens as far as sharpness, I have this one in my sights, they call it the hidden "L" 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Every review I have seen has been praise. I do however want a wide angle with F below 3 in an "L" which probably means $$$ for depth of field and pocketbook

The reviews on the forums arnt that great on that lens as far as sharpness,

You referring to the Tamron lens right? Or are you referring to original EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM? Cuz the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM isn't out till July(?).

I have this one in my sights, they call it the hidden "L" 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Every review I have seen has been praise. I do however want a wide angle with F below 3 in an "L" which probably means $$$ for depth of field and pocketbook

That's one of the selling points to me with either the Tamron or upcoming Canon 24-70mm lens. Shooting a lot indoors and at night no less has me wishing for a f/2.8 lens. My other option is the EF-S 17-55mm IS USM but I've heard of problems with cleaning.

Wow those are quality work man! Very impressed with all of them.

thanks!

edit: btw, how do you post pics so that when clicked it takes you to flickr?

Most (read nearly all) DSLRs have 30-sec cap on the shutter speed.

i didn't know that either. guess i haven't bumped into that cap myself, but then again i happily shoot at ISO200-400. any lower and my girlfriend would be tapping her feet ;)

PheobeBEANS_sm.jpg

so cute!

Edited by Major Focker

Rented the Canon EF 200mm f/2.0 L IS USM last year to see what the fuss about the lens. Alot of reviews were saying its one of Canon's sharpest and priciest.

6330531676_db95807f98_z.jpg

Canon EF 200mm f/2.0 L IS USM by Eddie 11uisma, on Flickr

Pictures took with the lens

6654230513_db60c8dc6b_z.jpg

Charmaine [Explored Jan 7, 2012 #229] by Eddie 11uisma, on Flickr

6540736673_9b8e4ae6d3_z.jpg

Charmaine by Eddie 11uisma, on Flickr

6775739020_d7d112bf50_z.jpg

Charmaine by Eddie 11uisma, on Flickr

And the reviews were right, Razor sharp! Lord of the Red Rings. Too bad i cant own one :(

Edited by Vegas

thanks! edit: btw, how do you post pics so that when clicked it takes you to flickr? i didn't know that either. guess i haven't bumped into that cap myself, but then again i happily shoot at ISO200-400. any lower and my girlfriend would be tapping her feet ;) so cute!

Thanks. She helped me pick those beans too. I do not have a fancy camera so my advice to those on MW who also do not is to wait for the right light, and work on composition.

AMAZING Photos on here - really incredible stuff guys...

You referring to the Tamron lens right? Or are you referring to original EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM? Cuz the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM isn't out till July(?).

That's one of the selling points to me with either the Tamron or upcoming Canon 24-70mm lens. Shooting a lot indoors and at night no less has me wishing for a f/2.8 lens. My other option is the EF-S 17-55mm IS USM but I've heard of problems with cleaning.

Doh, Oh yeah, not the II,

I always hear to stick with the canon lenses for color and once you go "L" you have a hard time buying anything else. Thats an awesome lens Vegas, Id love to get a "L" prime, even if its not IS

I heard this one is great too for the money EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

Thanks. She helped me pick those beans too. I do not have a fancy camera so my advice to those on MW who also do not is to wait for the right light, and work on composition.

What a great advise!

Doh, Oh yeah, not the II,

I always hear to stick with the canon lenses for color and once you go "L" you have a hard time buying anything else. Thats an awesome lens Vegas, Id love to get a "L" prime, even if its not IS

I heard this one is great too for the money EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

Yup all the Canon's 70-200 lens are great and they come different in budget ranges. Ive heard the 70-200 F4L IS is one of the sharpest.

doh! so simple. <smacks forehead>. thanks.

let me try it out with photos from my compact camera:

Olympus XZ-1 28-112/f1.8-2.2

Amazing man!

I Love my 70-200 f/4L IS.

4210772116_da78c92f3a.jpg

Canon EF 70-200m F/4 L IS by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

and on the subject of wider lenses, I really need something better than my 28-135mm kit lens.

I'm torn right now between the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS.

The 15-85mm seems like the more practical choice since it'll let me cover a wider focal range when paired with the 70-200mm and it has the same filter diameter as the 28-135mm. But 24-105mm has a weather sealed metal body, fixed maximum aperture and generally better image quality.

The 15-85mm is also Smaller, lighter and significantly cheaper.

and on the subject of wider lenses, I really need something better than my 28-135mm kit lens.

I'm torn right now between the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS.

The 15-85mm seems like the more practical choice since it'll let me cover a wider focal range when paired with the 70-200mm and it has the same filter diameter as the 28-135mm. But 24-105mm has a weather sealed metal body, fixed maximum aperture and generally better image quality.

Id say go for the 24-105, its slightly pricier but the lens will work on any Canon body and its built like a tank. It also comes with a hood.

I'd probably go with the 24-105mm as well. You're probably gonna get about the same focal range from both so it will probably come down to other factors, as mentioned, like build quality or accessories. I have the previous generation EF 28-135mm and yes, it's not the best lens. It's decent but eventually, you'll want something better.

OK, so I'm having fun with my entry level DSLR, Canon Eos Kiss X50 (Rebel T3 for those in America), but I want to do more with it. Be brave to take it off of auto mode! So, is there a one-stop site for beginning photography y'all can recommend? It may be an entry-level camera, but I know I can do more with it. Plus, in all these discussions about lenses, it's like a foreign language to me, so I'm hoping a lot of the terminology will be explained too. Thanks!

Found some trees that are in peak bloom today. Pictures to follow.

Thanks! That site looks like exactly what I need. Time to do a bit of studying.

And, as promised, more blossoms. These are from near a park 2 subway stops away from where I live.

post-12411-0-48574400-1337336028_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-30632600-1337336033_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-12879100-1337336044_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-09649800-1337336048_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-95994300-1337336051_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-94529300-1337336019_thumb.jpg

4210772116_da78c92f3a.jpg

Canon EF 70-200m F/4 L IS by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

Reading on the 24-105 they have a long term issue with the focus diaphragm, theres a few complaints about this after a couple years of service. Ive been reading a lot on the 15-85 and unless you get a bad one the only issues I see is a bit of creep, Thats for sure my next purchase

And, as promised, more blossoms. These are from near a park 2 subway stops away from where I live.

Good capture man!!

Reading on the 24-105 they have a long term issue with the focus diaphragm, theres a few complaints about this after a couple years of service. Ive been reading a lot on the 15-85 and unless you get a bad one the only issues I see is a bit of creep, Thats for sure my next purchase

Looking forward to seeing stuff with that lens :)

Edited by Vegas

post-12411-0-48574400-1337336028_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-30632600-1337336033_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-12879100-1337336044_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-09649800-1337336048_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-95994300-1337336051_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-94529300-1337336019_thumb.jpg

Looks so good it got my alergies going :p

6540736673_9b8e4ae6d3_z.jpg

love the bold blue, white, red colors on the model contrasting with the blurred pastel background. btw, is she Pinay? and was that red strap peeking intentional? it strangely works to offset the shirt.

she's an angel, isn't she? ^_^

spot on advice about waiting for the light, and this shot of yours is a great example of that

SC74_SleepingRIN.jpg

i'd hazard a guess that i probably take more pictures with my point&shoot camera than with either of my DSLRs, simply because i have it with me far more often and it has ably seen me through a number of fleeting photographic opportunities. as they say, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you.

here's another shot from my P&S. given how mundane the subject is, i was forced to compose to make it at least look interesting (hopefully i've succeeded). the Pinoys in this forum might recognize it and can probably attest that it is not the most inspiring of locations ;)

Olympus XZ-1

5663754124_8cf56f9514.jpg

P2030062 by scroogee, on Flickr

Amazing man!

thanks. nowhere near as good as yours but happy to learn from your example. in fact i can probably blame you for making me want to get Lightroom. can i send you the bill? :p

i've just found this site which convinced me to delve into post-processing: http://www.chromasia.../online/curves/

OK, so I'm having fun with my entry level DSLR, Canon Eos Kiss X50 (Rebel T3 for those in America), but I want to do more with it. Be brave to take it off of auto mode!

indeed, that's the best first step you can take. just take it step by step and don't forget to enjoy.

switch it to auto-ISO then turn that dial to aperture mode. have fun with depth of field.

then switch to shutter priority and experiment with motion blur.

and finally, take it off auto-ISO and finesse your image quality (i'm still working on this part myself)

one tip i can share is that when you're out with your camera on a sunny day, wear sunglasses with polarized lenses. they'll make everything look wonderful and inspire you to take pictures!

Looks so good it got my alergies going :p

lol, they are lovely blossoms though, and good color on the pics. shame that they won't be around by the time the complete 1:1 VF-25 will be exhibited. guess i have to plan for the cherry blossoms next year.

Edited by Major Focker

love the bold blue, white, red colors on the model contrasting with the blurred pastel background. btw, is she Pinay? and was that red strap peeking intentional? it strangely works to offset the shirt.

here's another shot from my P&S. given how mundane the subject is, i was forced to compose to make it at least look interesting (hopefully i've succeeded). the Pinoys in this forum might recognize it and can probably attest that it is not the most inspiring of locations ;)

Olympus XZ-1

5663754124_8cf56f9514.jpg

P2030062 by scroogee, on Flickr

thanks. nowhere near as good as yours but happy to learn from your example. in fact i can probably blame you for making me want to get Lightroom. can i send you the bill? :p

i've just found this site which convinced me to delve into post-processing: http://www.chromasia.../online/curves/

Yes she is Filipina. I couldnt take the red strap, my photoshopping skill is not that advance lol. Were you referring to the Manila International Airport on one of the pics? Also if you wanna get serious, you have to have lightroom or some kind of a professional photo editor.

Feels a bit too much off the top. Or crop the sides.

Thanks!

Congratulations to Kyokutenho for winning the May Sumo Tournament.

post-12411-0-64682800-1337601002_thumb.jpg

picture from August of 2009.

Edited by Jefuemon

To any Canon DSLR shooter

Official Discontinued List

-Canon Speedlite 580EX II

-Canon EF 24 f/2.8

-Canon EF 28 f/2.8

-Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L

Since they announced the Speedlite 600EX-RT, the death of the 580EX II was kinda expected. If you can find a markdown 580EX II, I would consider grabbing it.

the Moon was pretty earlier tonite and tried to get some shots in.

unfortunately, didn't really noticed a bothering itsy bitsy smudge on my lens that pretty much ruined most of the shots. couple with some light pollution from the nearby park, clouds and other tenants parking their cars.

oh, well.

here are some that I salvaged from this Luna session. even caught Tau with her (do a full-res to see his dotness a bit better):

jpg vs nef at +3 exposure:

DSC_4136.JPG DSC_4136.png

jpg vs nef at +3 exposure:

DSC_4137.JPG DSC_4137.png

frickin' park lights... jpg vs nef at 0 exposure:

DSC_4161.JPG DSC_4161.png

don't wanna bother doing the NEFs since I think the darkish background from the jpgs are ok enuff for me.

will prolly try again tomorrow night. if she's still as pretty...

edit/add:

yeah. ufraw'ed the exposure-comps of the NEFs to produce the png's. :p

Edited by treatment