To book collectors, need help tracking down Macross 7 stuff

Mr March

To all those Macross book collectors out there, I need some help tracking down which books contain certain pieces of Macross 7 line art. While working on new art for the next update to my website, I once again came across what I'm naming the "revised versions" of the Varauta mecha from Macross 7. This line art is clearly different from the more commonly published versions found in books like Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works. The Macross Chronicle has published some of these pieces in issue #21 and issue #35, but naturally, I need uncolored line art to work on it myself. I'll post pictures below to illustrate.

"Revised line art" seems to exist for the Fz-109A Elgerzorene, the Fz-109F Elgerzorene and the Fbz-99G Saubergeran. The Az-130 Panzerzorene seems to be the only exception that does not have a "revision". These revisions actually aren't NEW. They've been around for many years, published in older Macross 7 books. I just don't know which ones. So I put the question to the Macross collectors, which books contain UNCOLORED line art of these pieces of revised artwork? Anyone have an idea?

Pictures attached show the older versions followed by "revised" versions. Found a better Fz-109F and replaced the original pic I posted here (see below).

post-114-0-55203900-1335627759_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-08376900-1335627772_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-10091300-1335651832_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr March

I could be wrong, but it seems like, rather than revisions, what you have there is detailed-up lineart for close-shots and more simplified models for wide-shots. These are common in animation. I realize this doesn't help you in tracking this material down, though, and I'm sorry, all my M7 books are in the UK.

However, if I had seen this topic before last night, I could have hooked you up -- I happened to run into a guy whose friend works in the industry and he was showing off pages upon pages of smuggled A4 photocopies of the original lineart for Plus and 7. I'm sorry but it just did not occur to me to ask about the Varauta mecha.

Check it out:

On second thoughts, the differences in the shapes of some of the elements themselves in addition to the detail actually is starting to make me think that they ARE revisions, after all... Sorry! In any case, the guy should have had them, as one of the pictures I took shows two versions of Mylene's valk -- though staring at it for 2 minutes still didn't make me any wiser to the differences.

post-1318-0-86715300-1335766418_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-07144800-1335766423_thumb.jpg

In any case, the guy should have had them, as one of the pictures I took shows two versions of Mylene's valk -- though staring at it for 2 minutes still didn't make me any wiser to the differences.

the one on the right has additional shadows to define the backpack parts. the inset showing the chest looks a little more refined and obviously there's the inset detailing the face.

You've got to hook me up with that guy you know, Renato. Some of those pieces are amazing. If anyone would have this art, it'd be him. And even if he doesn't have the Varauta mecha, just looking at your pictures clearly shows he's got some line art I've never seen before. The VF-11 perspective shot is amazing!

I have discovered (thanks to Seto Kaiba) that the revised version of the Fz-109F Battroid can be found in the Macross 7 Sketchbook. But that's the only one. None of the other Varauta mecha revised art is to be found in that book, so it wouldn't be exactly what I'm looking for. Still, i suppose I'd like to get a hold of that book. But ebay doesn't seem to have it.

You've got to hook me up with that guy you know, Renato. Some of those pieces are amazing. If anyone would have this art, it'd be him. And even if he doesn't have the Varauta mecha, just looking at your pictures clearly shows he's got some line art I've never seen before. The VF-11 perspective shot is amazing!

Yep. That's why I snapped that VF-11 shot, I'd never seen it before either. Unfortunately, like I said, I just ran into him and I don't actually have his contact info, sorry. I'm sure I'll bump into him again at some point, though.

the one on the right has additional shadows to define the backpack parts. the inset showing the chest looks a little more refined and obviously there's the inset detailing the face.

Yeah, the canards look to be a different shape too, and the locks of "hair" on the sides of the face are a different length too, it seems.

The VF-11B shot was supposedly used to model the single shot where the guard battroid is walking past the perimeter fence of New Edwards in MacPlus.

why not try to contact jvmacross, the guy has the Macross 7 Sketchbook A and it seems has some varauta stuff in it.

http://www.macrosswo...ndpost&p=967163

But isn't that just a douga (in-between frame) collection? I don't think it has actual lineart models.

Freiflug88

This is useful for the one book I've identified that has what I need. But the biggest hurdle is knowing which book I need to buy. I kinda need to know the contents of the book before I can purchase. Don't have the time or money to buy everything, especially when most would just be reprints of what I already own.

Lobizon

That is definitely not what I am looking for. Those are animation pages. I'm looking for finished line art.

Renato

Well, if you ever do, I'd really appreciate it. If I could get photocopies of what he had, I'd be more than willing to pay for shipping and give him something for his time and effort.

Renato

Well, if you ever do, I'd really appreciate it. If I could get photocopies of what he had, I'd be more than willing to pay for shipping and give him something for his time and effort.

Sure thing. Don't be too disappointed if he refuses, though, understandably he reserves the right to keep it all from spreading across the net -- if he wanted that he probably would be doing it himself right now.

http://www.otakubell...p?/category/261

there's some rare stuff in these LD jackets

like the VF-19Kai with VF-1 packs

No Varauta stuff I need, but I do see the VF-19 Custom with the Packs. That was colored and printed in the Chronicle. However, that VF-22 Sturmvogel II in Battroid mode with LARGE legs is definitely a rare piece of M7 art.

My thanks Graham. Auction prices seem low enough right now that I can afford multiple M7 artbooks. I've purchased the Macross 7 Sketchbook which will give me the Fz-109F, but I'll need a book that provides the other two pieces of art. Any insight would help.

Okay, found this old scan of some book in my many archives of Macross images. It has both Fz-109 Elgerzorene images I am looking for. Anyone have any idea the book from which this scan was taken?

post-114-0-94340200-1336527600_thumb.gif

I have the 4 Macross art books listed below I will look for the art as well.

Macross 7 This is animation special art book

Macross 7 Animation Materials art book

Macross 7 Miss Macross art book

Macross 7 Fire Bomber art book

The Macross 7 Sketchbook is listed as being 8x12in is it 8in wide or 12in wide?

Edited by rdenham

Thanks rdenham. I appreciate any help you can offer.

The Macross 7 Sketchbook is 8 1/4 inches tall by 11 3/4 inches wide, because the book is printed in landscape rather than portait. Curious thing, when they call it a "sketchbook", they REALLY mean it. There is no table of contents, no page numbers and no header/footer pages with legal information. The book is literally single-sided pages that reprint Macross 7 line art. Some of the art is even "cutoff" around the edges with white space of the page edges removing small pieces of some fo the art. I wouldn't really recommend the book. It's notable for the large, full page prints of some line art and of course the Fz-109F Battroid "Revised" version and the Fighter/Battroid size charts. But other than that, you're best getting the Macross 7 art elsewhere. I'm really glad I got this book dirt cheap :)

Thanks jvmacross. The FBz-99G Saubergeran is the commonly found type, but the two Fz-109 Elgerzorene mecah are definitely the rare art I was looking for. I'll look into obtaining this book. Just out of curiosity, is the line art for the Varauta Battroid fairly large on the page or is the art kinda small?

I found a head on line art pic of a "revised" Fz-109F Elgerzorene on page 35 of the "Macross 7 This is animation special" art book. I will take a pic and post soon.

I could not find any other pics of the "revised" mecha in my other 5 Macross 7 art or picture books. I think my Macross manga & magazines will be a long short but I will look their next.

Edited by rdenham

EDITED: Okay, is see the picture you're now looking at upon page 35 of This Is Animation Special Macross 7. That does look like the revised version of the Fz-109F Elgerzorene in the size comparison shot with the other valkyries. I own this book too, so I've got access to that image already. I'm looking for the source materials for the images I posted in the pictures of my first topic post. I have the Fz-109F Battroid thanks to the Macross 7 Sketchbook but I need the Fz-109A Battroid and the FBz-99G Battroid. Thanks for looking. It's nice to know the images aren't in any of the books you listed.

Edited by Mr March

one of the pictures I took shows two versions of Mylene's valk -- though staring at it for 2 minutes still didn't make me any wiser to the differences.

I'm a little late, but check the lower knees, elbows/upper foream(inside), and wrists.

The game books did not have any of the "revised" art work in fact there was not really much line art at all.

....the mystery continues :rolleyes:

Do you own the B-Club magazines....Macross 7 era?....think there are some dealing with the VF History, etc....I would have to dig mine out.....perhaps you have quicker access to them?

Thanks so much for looking fellas. It really helps out a lot. If it's not too much trouble, could you list the books that don't have the art I'm looking for. At the very least it tells me what NOT to buy.

• 3 months later...

I found one or two pieces, but not the rest. I was directed to several rare, hard to find sources for some of the art, but ultimately tracking those down would be next to impossible. There's also little guarantee that the art appears in the books of a sufficient size and quality to actually create high resolution versions of them for inclusion on something like my website. So for the most part, I've been forced to abandon the search. I figured if the Macross owners really wanted this line art to be published, they would have made it more widely available. I suppose we should feel lucky the Macross Chronicle included as much of this alternative line art as it did. Though their use of the rarer line art in some profiles and adoption of the more common art in other profiles bewilders me :)

I did find and color the variant line art for the Fz-109F Elgerzorene Battroid. As I pruchased more Macross 7 books I also found variant line art for the VF-19S Excalibur Battroid, which I have also colored for inclusion of the next update.

Edited by Mr March

Yes, I'm familiar with Archive Scans. I appreciate the thought, but sadly as great as that site is, the images there are typically not large enough or high quality enough for me to use on my website. As some may recall, I work in extremely high resolutions when coloring art, both for practical reasons and as preparation for larger display resolutions of future monitors. As my access to line art and scanning equipment has improved, I've only become more particular (worse? lol) about what I will use as scan for colored art. Currently, I'm working in sizes that range from 4,000 to 10,000 pixels, so I'd personally need access to the books in question.

Okay, found this old scan of some book in my many archives of Macross images. It has both Fz-109 Elgerzorene images I am looking for. Anyone have any idea the book from which this scan was taken?

The background of this pic ("the old scan") reminds me old Newtype (1990-2000)...I'm not sure...it's just an eventuality...

Edited by akim