I thought an Avatar had to die before being reincarnated into the next one? A more likely explanation would be that Aang wasn't the last airbender, and this person is acting out revenge on all benders for the fire nation destroying the airbenders. But, I was wrong about the whole Tarrlok/Amon thing...

I didn't mean that Aang is Amon; although, that would certainly be interesting on many levels. I meant that Amon is connected to Aang in some way, most likely as pupil and teacher or mentor... going by the posted picture of an old air bender holding the same kind of mask Amon wears.

Spoiler.....

I don't think that it is another Airbender. Look at this compairison image of that picture http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m381s4yXVr1ruf5uto1_1280.png Like I said earlier...I think that image is a flash back of Aang and that he was Amons mentor/teacher. My theory is that he may have started a secret order (think white lotus).....or position......that dealt with very dangerous benders, and that he taught Amon how to take bending away. Amon is just gone overboard now.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

This Saturday's episode... totally floored! :o

Lin Beyfong proves once again why she's such a badass! Too bad that Amon does what he does to her, but her resolute look of defiance and resignation to her fate at his hands was inspiring. Things have definatelly taken a bleak turn.

Next week is the full hour season finale... can't wait; but I'll be sorry to not have new episodes untill next season... this show is just that good.

Agreed.

I thought I read somewhere that this story line will be wrapped up when the season ends and next season will be something different. Anyone else remember hearing that?

Also, I have a feeling that the Avatar will be able to reverse what Amon has done to benders. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Chris

Just because we didn't comment on it does not mean we didn't notice it ;) ... I liked that he's named Iroh, after Zuko's beloved uncle, and voiced by the same VA that did Zuko in the original series. Dobber has a very good point; given the span of time, this General Iroh is more likely to be Zuko's and Mai's grandson.

Yeah, if you think about it Aang and Katara's YOUNGEST is Tenzin....who is of an age with Toph's (who was i believe the youngest of the original group) daughter. I think the good general is Zuko's Grandson.....may not be......but that's what I think. Plus Zuko an Mai where 2 of the oldest from the original group.

Chris

Well, the parental limitations would be the woman's. Tenzin may be in his early-mid forties, but his wife Pema looks to be in her early Thirties... well within normal child bearing age. For Iroh, who could be anywhere from 17 to 25 years old, to be Zuko's and Mai's son he would have to have been born when his mother was 61-69 years old... way too old. Zuko was 17 at the end of Avatar, and Mai although her age was never given, was probably 16 at the time; 70 years have ellapsed so, at 21 (for the sake of argument), General Iroh was born when Mai was about 65 years or age. This would make him a candidate to be their great-grandson, even.

Of course, there is allways the possibility that Zuko remarried a much younger woman, say if Mai had died, which still could make him Iroh's father. If Zuko's still alive he'd be pushing 87.

And... who's Zukay?

Edited by mechaninac

On General Iroh.

Zuko's grandson looks to be in his mid to late 20s. Awfully young to be pulling the rank of General already. (I know it's fiction but that has always bugged me.)

Also on other character ages. I think it's been confirmed.

Tenzin = 51.

Pema = 35.

Edited by Shadow

On General Iroh.

Zuko's grandson looks to be in his mid to late 20s. Awfully young to be pulling the rank of General already. (I know it's fiction but that has always bugged me.)...

It's impossible to tell age from animation, so until it's confirmed, 17-25 would be my guess... he doesn't seem much older than Mako. As for being too young for the rank, it's not without precedent, to a degree, in the original where Zuko was given command of a warship at the age of 16 to hunt down the Avatar; and in real life there are historical examples of very young men, princes mostly, given or taking very high military ranks (birthright, ambition, charisma, natural ability all play a role) and leading armies and even nations.

Edited by mechaninac

Exciting season finale.

Even more shocking by the revelations.

And we think, Amon was not the most obvious of all.

Too bad taste left that final series, not season.

I hope the pike for the second season continues.

Or which have better reasons.

Because if you stay in what appeared ... It can be kind of boring.

Highlights:

Appearing of Aang (and the rest of Avatars) for Korra.

Zuko's grandson (not son as I thought ...), and that is as clever as the grandfather.

The brother of Tenzin!

(Ikki: Look, Uncle Bumi is here!)

Tenzin with face of disappointment ...

Wow. What a thoroughly satisfying story... you don't get enough of those these days.

I'm actually sympathetic towards Tarlok now.

It's amazing that a character that was 2 dimensionally a typical bad guy, turned out to he someone that was genuinely trying to do good but just couldn't escape who he was. It's a really sad but fulfilling story line. At the end he did what was still what he thought was best but in a deceitful sort of way.

Yeah, I think in the end he actually learned from his mistake and saw the error of his ways........ and saw that his brother did not......left only one option.

What a fantastic season, I can not wait to see what they came up with for next season.

Chris

The first season of TLOK was like eating a masterfully prepared multi-course banquet... in the end it leaves you totally satisfied and anticipating the next meal.

I thoroughly enjoyed that all our speculation regarding Amon's identity, background, abilities, and motivations were pretty much all off the mark; and the best part is that what the writers penned was so completely engaging and fully developed; it not only explained Amon, but also transformed Tarrlok from a two dimensional cliche villain into a tragic character who makes the ultimate sacrifice to destroy a monster. Yacone sure cast a very long shadow.

Another bit of speculation, however, turned out to be completely accurate: It did take the threat of harm to a loved one to unlock Korra's Air Bending and, concurrently, her spiritual side, giving her the ability to commune with her past incarnations and tap into all that power.

Who knew that Blood Bending of such magnitude could be used to take away someone's bending in a fashion reminiscent of Aang's power. In the end it wasn't quite the same, as it was not so much a taking away by "spiritual excision" as it was a biological block that Korra, once able to access her Avatar State, could reverse.

Yeah, I guess it was like a lobotomy and just permanently blocked the ability through some sort of damage. While the Avatar just removes the ability. Same results, just different means. Makes you wonder what happened to the first few people he practiced on to perfect the technique.

Chris

I was excited and alittle concerned when I first heard about Avatar getting a sequel set 70 some years in the future. Wondered if it stand up with what happened in the 3rd season of Avatar and the good writing that was done then. This series so far has exceeded my expectations and then some. Pretty much in agreement with the above opinions about the finale. Eagerly looking forward to two arises in season 2. I hope we get to see some of the other Avatar cast like Zuko and perhaps Toph.(Hasn't been confirmed that she has died yet, atleast from what I've seen.)

Edited by Shadow

questions...

1) does she have all her powers at the very end of the episode?

2) Do you think Amon and/or Tarrlok will remain dead (since the method of death, a long distance explosion, doesnt nessessarly imply perminate death [though im for permadeath since having them live after that, cheapens the effort])?

3) season 2 is placed in a different location on the world and not RCity?

Edited by TehPW

questions...

1)

Yes, unlocking airbending and full connection to her past incarnations allowed her past lives to restore what Amon took away. So at the end of this first season, Korra had full command of all four elements.

2)

Unclear, but it sure looks like Tarrlok redeemed himself in a blaze of glory that claimed his and his brother's lives. I sure hope that, as you put it, they don't cheapen that narrative by bringing back either of the two in anything other than a flashback.

3)

My underdanding is that the creators wanted to differentiate TLOK from ATLAB in many ways, one of which was to have the series take place primarily in one location. Having said that, I would enjoy it if the second season had a few episodes with Korra and gang making several stops on her way back to Republic City from the Southern Water Tribe... a visit to Ba Sing Se would be neat; although, I'm not sure if she was already back by the time she was restoring Lin Beifong's bending; if that was Temple Island than the point is moot. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by mechaninac

I think the writers would have done better with 24 episodes to work with on the first season than just 12. There are a number things that could have been explored more deeply. The Equalist movement being a big one. I hope that doesn't just disappear into the night in the 2nd season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The first two episodes were good but I was more interested in Tenzin’s story than in Korra’s. I felt like her character went back to her more snotty stage just to provide conflict. Maybe they wrote themselves into a corner after the ending of the last season seeing as a second season was not set in stone. She seemed more relaxed in the Avatar position there.

But now episode three comes along and WOW!!

The story with Ang really being a crappy father is great. Makes sense that he would concentrate the most attention on Tenzin as Aang feels it was his fault all the Air Benders died. Fantastic interactions between the Aang/Katara siblings.

And Korra is also in an interesting situation now. Her expertise is in kicking ass; the situation right now with the reunification is a political matter that flies over her powers.

The comedy was great. The creepy twins just can’t stop pulling laughs. The brotherly advice Mako gives Bolin lol.

Aubry Plaza as Eska is perfect!

I hate it when the bad guy is overly obvious, but Avatar always has a god way of twisting things. Let's see if this holds true for this arc.

Yeah Korra is back to her annoying self, specially with her dad is concerned. She can't see that the Northern Army is quite oppressive towards the Southern citizens?