So I liked avatar last airbender...and I stress "liked" I wasn't giant fan, but appreciated the show.

Now that The Legend of Korra has aired, I'm liking it a whole lot more and thought the first 2 episodes were great. The art style and animation has been knocked up. I'm sure animation quality may drop in later episodes.

No review here, other than to make some people aware to check it out if they had any interest in avatar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-_EoE0JMhE

I saw the two first episodes in last month, in a premiere event.

I liked of Korra.

The technology has been progress quickly, after Fire Nation open their steampower to the others peoples.

I hope to see the other guys what don't die until XD

(like Katara).

Edited by Old_Nash

The characters in the original series were more immediately likable then the ones in Legend of Korra, in my opinion. Having said that, I did enjoy the first two episodes allot and I'm sure with more episodes the cast will become more natural to the audience.

The fluidity and choreography of the animation is very reminiscent of the original, but having it produced for HD has definitely made a huge impact in its visual quality; and the voice talent and direction are top notch just like before; I specially liked the Pro Bending announcer, very much like a boxing announcer from the '20s-'30s USA... it fit perfectly.

Seeing Katara as an old lady was neat and bittersweet at the same time.

I loved that they mentioned Zuko's mother the way they did... it acknowledges, in a teasing way, the fact that they just dropped that nugget at the last episode of Airbender without ever resolving it, and leaves it open-ended.

Edited by mechaninac

I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Airbender and was definitely not going to miss this. The animation has certainly improved and the acting hasn't degraded one bit. It's funny cause I read this show was meant for ages 2-11. :blink: I'd say that got blown right out of the water since I know people in their late 30s that enjoyed Korra. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I saw the first two episodes when they were leaked and wow...I'm really looking forward to this series. Avatar: TLA was a great show, but out of the gate, Korra seems more interesting. They're trying hard to do something *new* rather than repeat the older series, and that's something I can respect.

Furthermore, Korra and Tenzin are not just shallow archetypes, but stand to become multi-faceted characters who act mature. Korra might know three elements already, but there's no shortage of conflict for her, and she's not as dumb or annoying as she could have been. Tenzin also isn't a one-dimensional "old mentor" and there is respect between them despite their odd-couple relationship.

I'm *very* interested to see how this goes.

They had the first two episodes for download free on iTunes, so I watched them then, and it is very promising. . I enjoyed watching them, and can't wait for further episodes.

Another good episode. This series seems to be shaping up to be a bit more adult. So I wonder how long until Muslim groups get upset about this. The bad guy named Amon (sounds a lot like Iman), that gives speeches that stir up hate and fear and places blame on on another group for all the problems his people have.

P.S. this was just an observation on my part, not trying to start a politicle debate, just noticed these parallels.

Chris

Who are Amon?......

Koh the Face Stealer?

After this last episode, I think he has something to do with it.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I found out on nick.com's "Welcome to Republic City" game that Zuko is alive! Zuko is 87 years old and turned over the reins of Fire Lord to his daughter. Also, Zuko travels the world as an ambassador for world balance. You can read more about him in the Central City button in the game Welcome to Republic City on nick.com.

My wife, son and I were all huge fans of the first series. We've been looking forward to Korra for a while now. Three episodes into it, and we're all hooked again. The best thing about ATLA was that while each episode was good in its own right, it built upon the previous one to tell a story. And when they finished the story they ended it. I hope they do that again with Korra, instead of having it run on and on forever like most of the cartoons that are on TV these days.

My god this show is awesome! First glimps of adult Soka, Toph, and Aang too. Don't know why but this Villian really disturbs me. Now I have to wait another week to see more.

Chris

I hear this show being praised regularly by Devindra at the Slashfilm podcast. He was a fan of the original series and often sings the praises of this new show, especially for it's bold new direction that forges it's own path from the original Air Bender show. I must admit I've not invested nearly enough time into either the original show or this one. I'll have to take a look at both in more depth. They seem like shows that actually deserve proper attention.

The writers of this show should be congratulated in how smart the writing is for a TV series, let alone a cartoon: The way the Northern Water Tribe representative manipulated Korra into doing his bidding was very well done, and Amon is one cold, calculating, methodical antagonist . Avatar was an excellent show, but this one is proving itself both a worthy successor, and superior, to the original in just about every measurable way.

Yeah, I keep thinking how mature this one shaping up to be and wondering what kids think of it so far....or if they are getting it. Agree how well done the manipulation of Kora was done.

Chris

The writers of this show should be congratulated in how smart the writing is for a TV series, let alone a cartoon: The way the Northern Water Tribe representative manipulated Korra into doing his bidding was very well done, and Amon is one cold, calculating, methodical antagonist . Avatar was an excellent show, but this one is proving itself both a worthy successor, and superior, to the original in just about every measurable way.

Interestingly, they consider the Northern WaterTribe a realm apart.

Almost like another faction within them.

Do people still consider the South as "hillbillies"?

They haven't really said but from what can be gleamed from the first episode the southern tribe was still much smaller and as far as I can tell the separate nations still exist, and republic city is where people from all nations can live together and work out their differences peacefully....kind of like Babylon 5.

pretty cool show. I've only seen a couple of episodes of Avatar but I'm really digging this show..

I thought the ploy to make Korra join the task force was really smart. Actually, I think the whole show has been pretty intelligent. And I love the character and "production" designs.

One thing about episode 4 that doesn't make sense is

in the original series, whenever Aang (or someone in the group, for that matter) was in danger, he would go into the "Avatar State" and kick major ass. When Korra was ambushed by Amon, why wasn't she able to go into the Avatar State and really eff him up?

It was really cool to get a glimpse of Aang as an older person. It will be interesting to see how they portray Aang when/if Korra gets to enter the spirit world to get advice from him. I mean, Kyoshi was supposedly 230 when she died yet she looks like a woman in her 30's in the show. Roku was 70 when he died and he looks like an old man. Aang was around 64-65 when he died. Will they show him as an old man like Roku or a younger man like Kyoshi?

I believe it is the fact that Aang was a monk. And so his training in meditation, allowed access to the Avatar State are too easy.

Unlike Korra, whic has stated earlier in the series, she is very "excited" to enter the Avatar State.

Or henot saw danger in Amon because he had no intent to hurt her.

Edited by Old_Nash

Aang went into the Avatar State a total of 3 times before training with the Guru, and all 3 were precipitated by a threat not to himself but to Katara, so the fear of having his beloved hurt or killed coupled with his upbringing as a Air Nomad Monk made it possible for him to slip into that state; his spiritual/philosophical training and the very nature of Airbending also made it relatively easy for him to cross over to the spirit real, and commune with his previous incarnations. As Old_Nash said, Korra is too impulsive, stubborn, easy to anger for her to easily learn Airbending... according to Tenzin, the discipline most in opposition to the Avatar's temperament is the most difficult for him/her to master, and one can assume, by extrapolating further, that spiritual endeavours would also be difficult for her. It may take a greater amount of stress than she has heretofore been exposed for her to snap into the Avatar State, maybe seeing Mako or Tenzin in mortal danger.

I too agree that it would be interesting to have an episode where Korra successfully meditates into communion with Aang or Roku or Kyoshi in order to gain some insight/wisdom on how to deal with the Equalist Rebellion. But if my speculation regarding the link between Airbending's spiritual side and the Avatar's ability to access the spirit realm hold water, she will have to grasp Airbending and Tenzin's teachings before she could ever accomplish it.

On a side note, the Avatar State, while impressive, was one of the few aspects of the original series that I really could have done without; it smacked too much of Deus Ex Machina for my taste. The only saving grace was that it was not an invulnerable state and the Avatar could be hurt or even killed, and if killed while in the Avatar State the cycle of reincarnation would be forever broken.

Edited by mechaninac

Actually, Aang went into the Avatar State a lot more than 3 times before meeting Guru Pathik.

1. He went in the AS when he and Appa were nearly drowned, and encased them both in ice for 100 years. (danger to himself and Appa)
  2. In the beginning of the series, he went into the AS after he fell into the water (again) when he, Katara and Sokka were attached by Zuko. (danger to himself, Katara and Sokka)
  3. He went into the AS when he witness the bones of Monk Gyatso. (no danger, no meditation, just loss of a friend)
  4. Then again when he met Avatar Roku in the fire temple (when the sun hit the gem). (no danger, grief or meditation)
  5. During the Siege of the North, Aang combined power with the spirit of the ocean. (perceived danger, meditation)
  6. When General Fong tried to trick Aang into the AS by making it look like Katara's life was in danger. (perceived danger, no meditation)
  7. When Appa was kidnapped by the sand benders (no danger, no meditaion, just loss of a friend).

I'm not trying to play the "I told you so" game, I'm just trying to show how danger, whether real or perceived, was usually the cause for Aang to enter the Avatar State. That and the fact that Aang didn't have to think about doing it. It was an automatic response to the situation. When Korra was ambushed, the danger was very real (at least to Korra), and that's why it didn't make sense to me.

I didn't even consider the first episode as the concept of AS was non-existent, but in hindsight I guess both occurrences qualify as AS events; although in the second instance Aang seemed very much in control so I'm iffy on that one... I always got the impression that the Avatar state was more of a primal thing triggered under extreme duress by fear of harm to loved ones, but grief seems to do it too. Then there are:

• The siege of the Northern Water Tribe where Katara was clearly in danger;
  • General Fong threatening Katara to goad Aang into the Avatar State;
  • And after Appa was kidnapped -- grief over losing Appa... danger to loved ones seems to be a major factor in his going AS.

Then there are a couple of other times when he almost goes AS:

• When he sees Gyatso's remains he begins to change but Katara brings him back before he goes Demigod -- this qualifies as extreme grief of the loss of a loved one;
  • When they're fighting Azula and gang at the end of Book 2, he starts to go into the Avatar State but is stopped by getting "killed" by a lightning bolt strike to the back.

The meeting at the Fire Temple with Avatar Roku did not strike me at all as an AS event; to me it had all the hallmarks of a communion with a past incarnation.

I never said that meditation was required for the Avatar state, but it was used almost every time Aang needed to go into the Spirit Realm and or palaver with the spirits of the former Avatars.

In any event, I was going from memory so I'm not surprised I missed something... I should've Wiki'ed it before posting.

In Korra's case, I'd conjecture that her very personality prevents her from achieving spiritual feats that Aang could accomplish with relative ease. It may be necessary for her to learn some airbending techniques and philosophy before she can do anything of a spiritual nature. At this juncture, the Avatar state, or contact with past incarnations, is out of her capabilities, regardless of the situation she is in... future episodes may render my interpretation completely bogus, we shall see.

Then, there is the fact that the creators of this series want to differentiate it from the original as much as possible while still grounding it in the same World. It could be that they won't even go the AS rout with Legend of Korra.

Edited by mechaninac

I recall reading somewhere that Air Bending (as obvious as it is) is the most spiritual of the bending disciplines and so it was more natural for Aang to fall into the AS. Korra having little to no air bending mastery and in that regard "spiritual enlightenment" would IMO prohibit her from entering the AS.

As for Amon,

They made reference to a rogue fire bender that Aang had to "deal" with, i'm assuming that Aang dealt with him by taking away his fire bending, and as a result the rogue (Amon) was enlightened to the technique of spirit bending. If that person was not Amon personally, then i feel that it was someone close to him since they showed a fast paced flash back of events when Amon came in contact with Korra

Edited by emajnthis

I can only think that this is the former general Jeong Jeong. Who saw her bending as profane.

In my view, who could have so much resentment about the Benders is Ozai, who had fire bending withdrawn by Aang, and with it, can learn to use the Energy Bender.

Thus removing the other.