I'm just still really surprised Nick had the balls to even hint at that ending, I mean, I expected Korra to maybe stay as a spirit, or break the Avatar cycle or something, but since she survived intact I loved how they ended it. I see lots of arguing online, the debating will probably go on for awhile, some say it made no sense, some say it was forced and done to appease certain fans, and some say it didn't even seem like anything romantic and it was instead just two friends, either way, it's up for interpretation. To me personally, it made sense, and as I said in my previous comment it's what I would have liked to see if Korra did indeed survive, so I'm happy. I'm just super glad she didn't end up with Mako, if that would have happened I would have dropped a brick on my testicles, that would have driven me crazy, people are saying that somehow would have made more sense, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Sad to see it go, but Avatar has been a fun ride since Last Airbender, I can't wait to add the Blurays to my collection, and now for the next coming months, an incoming flood of inappropriate yet fairly high quality fan-made Korrasami GIFs

Personally, I could have done without all of the shipping romance drama in TLOK in general. We may have gotten more character development from people like Amon and Kuvira, and even Asami. It is left up to the audience to decide. I'm one of those who just sees the Asami-Korra scene as a strong sisterly bond not unlike the father-daughter bond that formed between Tenzin and Korra. The whole going into the spirit world sequence just felt tacked on and I would have been more satisfied if it had ended with Tenzin and Korra talking. I felt that sequence would have been the perfect note to end on.

Great finale. The fight against the giant mecha felt epic enough. Giving closure to some of the bad guys of previous seasons was also nice as well as how Kuvira was finaly dealt with.

Kudos to the writers for pulling of the ending so well considering the medium. Very classy.

For a moment at the wedding I feared that they would hamfist Mako. Now that would have been forced. That relationship ended long ago and was glad to see they left it as them being loyal friends.

Before the letter writing between Korra and Asami I remember talking to my brother of what a great character Asami was. She needed no bending mojo to kick serious ass. We felt sorry she always got the short end of the stick and half joked that the only character up to her would be the Avatar (like Nick would allow THAT!). Pairing Asami with a finally matured Korra feels like justice to the character.

There, it's done. Cats out of the bag. TLOK fanart is going to go out of its mind if it hasn't already I think.

To go alittle further I guess on story. I really wanted to dig deeper into the geopolitical environment, especially find out what has been going on in the Fire Nation for the past 70 years. We know they held a very restrained policy on the use of their military and for obvious reasons. I'm also curious as to what punishment Kuvira and Bataar Jr. will receive as they're essentially war criminals.

I'm with you there. We pretty much spend the whole series in what has traditionally been the Earth Kingdom, with some brief interludes in the Spirit World and Southern Water Tribe. The North only makes some brief cameos, and we never actually see the Fire Nation. Hell, we only see the reigning Fire Lord once. For a show about balance and a changing world, it really does fail to show the nation that necessarily must have changed the most since the last show, what with its modern pacifism.

On the topic of gripes, I feel like Sokka had no official legacy beyond a brief cameo where it's revealed he was a Southern Water chief for awhile. (Of course, his dad was, so why wouldn't he be?) There will always be speculation about Su Yin, but he's the only character of the Gaang we see only once. And, I do think the writers were too subtle about Korrasami until the final sequence. Pretty much everything we see that they say was the buildup, was stuff that would happen between platonic friends. And while, if you're looking for Korrasami, you can make it look like it has a buildup, if you're not into that or you're just not a shipper, you won't see it and then you'll be like "woah, what? Hold the phone. What?"

Not that I was. I like gay girls. I was hoping for this.

They're a couple. The creators said so.

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/12/legend-of-korra-creators-confirm-korrasami-is-canon

Now I'd hate to be Mako. He was with both of them and what did he do? Turn them off men. Way to go Mako!! :p

Prince Eath whatsisname " Hey Mako, didn't you date them both? They're together now. TO-GE-THERRRRR. How's that make you feel huh? Huh?"

Mako ".....shut up."

While I agree with you, I also think the romance between the two characters works. They do have chemistry, and if the exposition had been a little better-done, it really would have been like "yeah they're gonna be together, and that's totally cool". I do think the buildup over the last 2 seasons was a bit too subtle- most of what counts for romantic development and exposition can be seen just as easily as platonic-friends material. But if you're looking at it from the perspective of the two growing feelings for each other, you can see it. Korra and Asami's personalities really do feed into each other well. Korra's strong and wise, but she sometimes lacks resolve, and still very obviously needs emotional support, which she finds in spades from her friends, and especially Asami, who is the only one she wrote back to over those three years. And Asami is incredibly intelligent and driven, but she's had a lot of stuff happen in her past and in her family, so she turns to her friends for the support she needs. They foil each other- Asami's resolve and skill complementing Korra's strength and wisdom, and the two covering for each other's flaws. And they get along well and really do have good chemistry.

Of course, what I really want to see is it a bit undampened in comics. I think they'll be able to handle the developing romance a bit better.

I really don't think this was done as a token romance. It's not really forced, it's just not exposed super well throughout the series, which does make it feel gimmicky. It's not necessary for strong women to be gay for each other, but it's not necessary for them not to be. And I think it works here.

I just started watching this because my lady friend is a huge fan. She watched Game of Thrones for me so ... here I go.

I'm 4 episodes in and I'm surprised at how sophisticated and interesting it is so far. Great artwork too.

^You're in for one hell of an enjoyable ride. And if you haven't done so, watch Avatar: The Last Airbender also, as it is really good as well and introduces most of the concepts that Legend of Korra glosses over or takes for granted.

Edited by mechaninac

I still think Avatar: The Last Airbender was better than Legend of Korra, if only because it was cohesive across all 3 seasons, though season 1 can be really difficult to sit through. Korra just doesn't spend enough time establishing anybody's motivation, and the characters are all really hard to like until season 4, when they actually have some growth as characters. Of course, Korra did start out as a 12-episode miniseries, whereas Avatar was basically green-lit for all 3 seasons after the first few episodes aired.

I actually only watched Avatar for the first time this summer. I watched it for the second time earlier this month. It was really good. Like, it has no right to be that good, and I never imagined it would be, since it was just a Nickelodeon cartoon.

Yeah.. idk I just wanted to jump into Korra, as that's her favorite. I saw the Airbender movie ... well I saw a rifftrax making fun of it! haha.

But I'm enjoying it a lot so far!

Oh God, don't judge/confuse Avatar: The Last Airbender with that horrible Last Airbender movie!

Chris

^Yup

I started watching Avatar part way through Book(season) 2......the Library episodes. I was REALLY impressed as I had seen commercials all the time for Avatar while watching shows with my kids. I started watching from that moment on and quickly went out and bought book 1 on DVD. Knowing where the show was going and how it would Mature! Made it much easier to get through some of the more silly episodes in season 1.

Chris

Yeah, I didn't watch it way back when (despite all my friends' hype for it) because I just figured it was a dumb Nick cartoon. The first scene I ever caught of Avatar was the cactus juice scene during a season 2 marathon. But I'm glad I did finally watch it, nearly 10 years later, because man that show was well-done.

I read in a note what Netflix buys the Avatar rights from Nick.

it's true?

Not true. Nick still owns the rights to Avatar and its spinoffs, though Netflix has licensed it for streaming.

I tell you, what I'm eager to see is the Dark Horse comics, when they inevitably come out. The last TLA comic is supposed to be out next year, and I'm hoping to see some Korra comics after that.

What I'd like to see is some standalone animated movies of either series, much like what we get with a lot of anime. A movie about Zuko's quest to find his mother, for example (a plot point introduced in the last episode of TLA, and never pursued); or Korra's and Asami's adventures in the Spirit World, or a future crisis not connected to the series's events.

Edit: Just to emphasize the point... keep this property away from Hollywood hacks. Shyamalan's farce was an insult, completely devoid of any of the quality, charm, and heart that made the series so great.

Edited by mechaninac

ATLA definitely had more solid storytelling but it also had more breathing room as compared to TLOK. As much as people may not like filler episodes, ATLA pulled them off rather well, especially Tales of Ba Sing Se. I just wish Korra could have had that same breathing room for character development and more backstory.

What I'd like to see is some standalone animated movies of either series, much like what we get with a lot of anime. A movie about Zuko's quest to find his mother, for example (a plot point introduced in the last episode of TLA, and never pursued); or Korra's and Asami's adventures in the Spirit World, or a future crisis not connected to the series's events.

Edit: Just to emphasize the point... keep this property away from Hollywood hacks. Shyamalan's farce was an insult, completely devoid of any of the quality, charm, and heart that made the series so great.

You should read the TLA comics. The Search follows Zuko and the Gaang's search for Ursa. It's honestly a bit anticlimactic at the end of it all, but it is canon.

ATLA definitely had more solid storytelling but it also had more breathing room as compared to TLOK. As much as people may not like filler episodes, ATLA pulled them off rather well, especially Tales of Ba Sing Se. I just wish Korra could have had that same breathing room for character development and more backstory.

I think both shows had recap episodes that were actually good, and while I think the filler was generally handled well in TLA, I also think they exposed too much important story stuff through filler episodes, which means you can't skip most of the filler.

First season was great! However...

It was kind of lame that she got her bending back so easy.

It's funny to think that... and correct me if I'm wrong... but all the love triangle business in anime dates back to Macross.

Eh, love triangles are as old as time. To a lesser extent, even the original Gundam had some love triangle stuff kind of going on between Amuro, Sayla, Fraw Bow, and Matilda- it just didn't have the balls to go all the way with it until the novels and to a lesser extent the movies.

However, I agree about your spoiler. Though they kind of remedy that with seasons 3 and 4.