Noob Vs. Models Vol. 1 1/60 Fan Racer

Benson13

Hello and welcome to the first installation of Noob Vs. Models. I decided to start this thread because I noticed that most of step by steps on this forum are done by some very talented professionals that know all the ins and outs of modelling. When I read them with my dopey slack jawed facial expression and drool running down my face, I always have a million questions about how they're doing what they're doing.

Another thing that has always left me with questions is why are they using a certain paint or item X with material Y. There is so much to this that not everyone will make it to the levels of WM Cheng, Capt. America, Kye Kye, or Kurt, but the least we can do is get the basics and intermediate level skills out there.

Now in the following posts I'm going to be screwing up a lot. Anyone is welcome to give their recommendations on any of these projects, especially if they have extensive knowledge on the issue at hand.

So without further adieu, may I present my first opponent the Yamato Fan Racer.

2012-04-12_17-10-04_176.jpg

So the first thing I did was clip the parts off using sprue clippers. Since the clippers are able to cut so closely, I used a fine grit (1000 first and then 2000) sandpaper to eliminate what remained of the excess plastic.

Since the pieces themselves were clear I tossed them into a box top so I didn't lose them.

2012-04-12_17-23-24_874.jpg

Once all that was done I used Tamiya White Primer on the pieces. This is also where I screwed up. I will now stress the importance of doing a test fitting and paying attention to the directions to see how things go together. Had I done that, I would be able to have free spinning blades on my Fan Racer but since I didn't have the forethought to do so I now have to go back and fix this.

2012-04-12_17-49-45_703.jpg

As for actually priming the pieces themselves, I just read the back of the can and used the techniques described. If you miss a spot, DO NOT hold the can still and spray directly at the spot. This will cause the a crappy looking puddle effect to form and you don't want that. Just keep doing the side to side spraying until you get 2-3 light coats and you'll be good according to the can.

Now for the part that I always dread when it comes, painting. My hands shake like a crackhead going through withdrawls doing the Harlem shake, so everything I paint by brush tends to look like crap. I didn't use Tamiya paints the first time I painted on another project so I didn't know what to expect from it.

2012-04-12_19-28-26_191.jpg

This picture is of the first coat. Everytime I paint now I hope it's not like the first project with the yellow details. I had to put 10+ coats of yellow on to make it look solid and by then it was so caked on that when I pulled the masking tape off it ripped off parts of the paint.

2012-04-12_21-40-07_659.jpg

This is the second coat. I wonder if darker colors go on easier than lighter colors. I like using Tamiya a lot more than the Citadel Colour stuff I used before. I also tested out the Tamiya orange on a sprue and it was solid after 3 light coats.

Great start so far!! I'll throw you a challenge: are you going to putty the seam lines? :lol:

In the wise words of the great Barney Stinson, "Challenge Accepted".

I'm just waiting on the putty to get here in the mail since I couldn't find it in a local store.

I was sitting around watching BSG (Damn you 505thAirborne) and decided to start masking the model. Luckily the panel lines are really user friendly making the masking really easy.

2012-04-12_23-32-19_734.jpg

It might have been a little premature but I'll deal with that when I have to.

The masking might get in the way of construction of the main body. You want to fill the seams on the joined halves before you paint, otherwise you just end up doing it over again.

It is usually an good idea to paint as much as you can while the parts are on the spruce. This avoid finger oils getting on the part as you handle them to paint, plus, You wont loose any if you drop the box.

If you can afford to, invest in at least an entry level or medium airbrush. I just scored a great deal on a badger 200-3 deluxe set at my local Michael's for $20!

Gather as much literature on modeling. Look online and see what tips you can find. YouTube is your friend on most of this.

BTW, I am not a pro, and I have been out of the modeling business for about 10 years now. Do you mind if people show their Noob projects here?

I would like to keep the information relevant to this particular build. Anything you would like to share about your experiences are completely welcome. If you would like to start a Vol. 2 project by all means go a head. These forums are for all Macross fans to share on.

My hands shake like a crackhead going through withdrawls doing the Harlem shake, so everything I paint by brush tends to look like crap.

Try bracing.

Ie: fix the part on something wide enough for the heel of your hand to rest while you brush. At the very least, you'll eliminate arm/elbow induced jitters, and only have to contend with finger jitters.

I would like to keep the information relevant to this particular build. Anything you would like to share about your experiences are completely welcome. If you would like to start a Vol. 2 project by all means go a head. These forums are for all Macross fans to share on.

Haha, I didn't notice you had Vol. 1 in the title, somehow my mind just read 1/60.

Try bracing.

Ie: fix the part on something wide enough for the heel of your hand to rest while you brush. At the very least, you'll eliminate arm/elbow induced jitters, and only have to contend with finger jitters.

I had a cheap 3rd hand I got from harbor freight. But that is a good idea.

Keep it up; looking good so far. Trust me, you might get frustrated, but you are learning something new. None of us just picked up a pencil and started writing the alphabet, we had to make stick figures first as kids then learn the alphabet. - MT

Yes it does. I was really happy I was able to find one with the pilot. I probably wouldn't have bought one otherwise.

Actually my friend is selling one of these but not pretty sure wanna get it or not! No extra time to build them though..erkss!:(

Thanks ManTech. This stuff is pretty new to me. I ruined countless models as a child and pissed my old man off pretty bad.

Caslon, It's a lot of fun building this so far. I think it's worth the money as long as it's under $50. I'm already eyeballing my next project on ebay right now. As for the build time, it's really not that long once you know what you're doing. Most of the time I've spent on this project has been posting pics and writing about what I'm going.

I haven't done anymore work on the model yet. I'm waiting on my putty to get in so that I can fill that seam. Once that's done, I'm going to sand it, reprime it, and then it's on to painting.

duuude! If you're watching BSG---you GOTTA build a Moebius Galactica! Fan Racer is looking good! and to answer your question--yes--darker colors are easier to paint with than lighter colors--Also----and this is MY opinion only---if you want it to cover quicker and easier--try Model Master Enamels and keep the Tamiya Acrylics for airbrushing. just my .02.

Just noticed the whole thing was clear out of the box! mine was grey plastic..hmm...

Edited by derex3592

Yeah, when I popped it open and saw that it was completely clear I was a little thrown off. I've never seen that before. I hope I get my stuff in the mail soon so I can start working on this again.

Derex, I just used the googlemachine to to look up that model and I think I'm gonna pass. It looks really cool but I want to keep doing Macross models for right now. I looking for a VF-2SS, all the 1/20000 enemy ships, and the 19 1/2 inch enemy capitol ship.

Alright time for some updates. Finally started working on Hikaru. I've been avoiding this because of how small he is and if I screw it up, I'm really not sure what to do. I also got most of the small orange pieces painted as well. Nothing special done here just masking and painting. I will say however that when masking make sure any layers of tape are pushed onto each other as tightly as possible or the paint will find a way in there. To help with this as well paint to the tape not away. If you paint starting at the tape it adds to the problem.

2012-04-19_00-08-45_293.jpg

Edited by Benson13

I also finished the back end that has the fan housing and boosters. This is where I had a big bleeding problem. I had to scratch off the excess orange that ended up on the white with an X-Acto knife and then repaint.

2012-04-19_00-09-20_926.jpg

I would also like to point out that when using Gundam markers for the first time be careful or this may end up being your dining room table. The wife is so gonna kill me.

2012-04-19_00-09-55_375.jpg

I made some more progress on Hikaru. None of my brushes or markers reach into some of the tighter areas so I had to improvise by clipping off a long piece of the sprue and then sharpening one end. Then I dipped it in paint and lightly poked it in the areas I needed painted. The blue scarf and the black hair where it meets the yellow headset are the areas I had to do this at. I'll be touching him up a bit more later.

2012-04-19_00-36-13_953.jpg

Here's a final pic of how everything is looking right now. I'll be getting my putty in today so I'll be filling the seam this evening. I still need to paint the area where the windshield and cockpit meet but I have to fill the seam first.

This is going to be my first time using putty so any pointers would be appreciated.

2012-04-19_02-16-55_513.jpg

Edited by Benson13

And now for the unexciting grand finale, the Yamato 1/60 Fan Racer with Hikaru Ichijo.

2012-04-19_23-45-55_163.jpg

2012-04-19_23-46-40_53.jpg

2012-04-19_23-46-20_520.jpg

2012-04-19_23-47-37_853.jpg

I still have to add some stripes to Hikaru's jumpsuit but the pen I ordered won't be here until next week. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Also I'm open to any pointers from the more experienced modellers here. If there is anything anyone would like to see in Vol. 2 let me know, I'll be working on the Zentraedi Fleet.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and for making me feel like an even bigger and prouder nerd.

For a first go. you did a pretty good job. Now, you're going to want to look into doing some type of wash, that will make your panel lines pop out more.

I recommend Promodeler's Wash. It's dead easy to, and I've been very happy with the results. Here's the latest kit I used it on. I think if you used something like that on the Hikaru figure, it would make him look a little better, too. Right now, seems kind of flat.

I think you've done a terrific job!

Everyone's recommending a wash to bring out the panel lines, and it certainly does bring out the detail. Question is, do you want to keep it clean and bright, and just bring out the panel lines, or go for a "weathered" effect?

When I did my fan racer, I wanted a clean look with sharp panel lines, so I used a soft-tipped Gundam marker... though any water-based, thin point, soft-tipped marker will do. Since the fan racer is all painted in gloss, excess marker wipes off really easy with a small piece of paper towel. Just run the marker over a line, wipe off the excess straight away, and you're left with a really clean line inside the panel.

You can achieve the same sharp effect with liquid washes, of course, but it takes a little more practice. Helps if you have a larger model, since mistakes won't mar the finish so much. Since the fan racer is so small, and this is your first effort, I'd suggest using a marker.

If your goal is for a dirtier, weathered look, then a liquid wash is a much better approach, and there are lots of options.

Here's the soft-tipped Gundam marker: http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZGM20

Finding something similar at an office or art supply store usually isn't hard.

Edited by Penguin