Idea for pinned topic

Mommar

Hi guys, I dug around the forum but had a hard time finding anything. I recently came into acquisition of an extra VF-1S TV Roy (because the first one i had ordered for a friend was broken so it's still laying here.) I've yet to fix the broken part, which affects Fighter mode zero and is only a minor issue in Gerwalk and Battroid (still would not be fit as a gift in it's broken state though.) I was thinking I'd try my hand as a complete newb to paint this thing but... I don't know what I'm doing. Knowing what type of paints (hand,spray,whatever) work on what types of plastics is confusing. To say nothing of masking/priming/whatever. And clear coats or whatever else might be used to seal/finish/gloss/yadda. I thought it might be useful to have a pinned thread with lists for this type of stuff just for new people to get started. The different toys, their plastics types, what paints adhere to their surfaces, etc... I thought about this after Benson posted his first few questions about painting side side and intake covers, then I started looking at this body of this thing and I realized I didn't have a damn clue.

I second this. I see the stuff guys like Kye Kye, WM Cheng, and Kurt are doing and it seems so advanced I don't know where to start. I've gotten positive feedback when I ask about a specific thing but a guide of general knowledge would be awesome.

I looked through several of wm chengs build ups but most of what he showed required you already understood what he was talking about. In addition, isn't the plastic on the model kits different from the plastic on the 1/60 Yamatos? Besides, if we get the input from several different people we also learn about different techniques/styles from each other. Not just the newbie people but people with experience could get ideas for different techniques to try out if they wanted to.