muppets.jpg
The Muppets
Walt Disney Pictures, 2011
Directed by James Bobin (Da Ali G Show, Flight of the Conchords)
Based upon characters from The Muppet Show created by Jim Henson (1936-1990)
Running Time: 103 minutes
Rated PG for some crude humor.

It's time to play the music,
It's time to light the lights,
It's time to meet the Muppets
on The Muppet Show tonight...

Cast
Jason Segel (Jason in Knocked Up, Peter in Forgetting Sarah Marshall) as Gary
Amy Adams (Lois Lane in Man of Steel, Charlene in The Fighter) as Mary
Chris Cooper (Alexander Conklin in The Bourne Identity, John Larouche in Adaptation) as Tex Richman
Rashida Jones (Karen in The Office, Marylin in The Social Network) as Veronica
Jack Black (as if nobody here knows him...) as Himself (uncredited)

Muppets
Peter Linz as Walter
Steve Whitmire as Kermit the Frog, Beaker, Statler, Rizzo the Rat, Link Hogthrob and The Muppet Newsman
Eric Jacobson as Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Sam the Eagle and Marvin Suggs
Dave Goelz as Gonzo the Great, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Beauregard, Waldorf and Kermoot the Frog
Bill Barretta as The Swedish Chef, Rowlf the Dog, Dr. Teeth, Pepe the King Prawn, Bobo the Bear, Foozie Bear, Behemoth, Mahna Mahna, Whatnot Farmer and Gary's Muppet form
David Rudman as Janice, Scooter and Miss Poogy
Matt Vogel as Floyd Pepper, Camilla the Chicken, Sweetums, '80s Robot, Lew Zealand, Uncle Deadly, Roowlf the Dog, Janoose and Crazy Harry
Tyler Bunch as Thog
Alice Dinnean as Afghan Hound

Cameos
Alan Arkin (Bill in Edward Scissorhands, Peevy in The Rocketeer) as the Muppet Studios Tour Guide
Emily Blunt (Emily in The Devil Wears Prada, Elise in The Adjustment Bureau) as Miss Piggy's Receptionist
Bill Cobbs (Zachary Lamb in Demolition Man) as the Grandfather viewer
Feist (Canadian singer/songwriter) as a Smalltown resident
Zach Galifianakis (Alan in The Hangover I-II, Humpty Dumpty in Puss in Boots) as Hobo Joe
Donald Glover (Troy in Community) as a CDE executive
Whoopi Goldberg (like no one's heard of her...) as Herself
Selena Gomez (Mikayla in Hannah Montana, Alex in Wizards of Waverly Place) as Herself
Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters vocalist/band leader) as Animool
Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser, M.D., Himself in the Harold & Kumar series) as Himself
Judd Hirsch (Julius in Independence Day) as Himself
Ken Jeong (Leslie in The Hangover I- II, Jerry Wang in Transformers: Dark of the Moon) as the "Punch Teacher" host
John Krasinski (Jim in The Office) as Himself
Jim Parsons (Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory) as Walter's human form
Rico Rodriguez (Manny in Modern Family) as Himself
Mickey Rooney (I. Y. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany's) as a Smalltown resident
Kristen Schaal (Mel in Flight of the Conchords) as the Anger Management group moderator
Sarah Silverman (Saturday Night Live) as the Restaurant greeter

It's time to put on make-up,
It's time to dress up right,
It's time to get things started,
Why don't you get things started?

It's time to get things started
on the most sensational
Inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational
This is what we call our Muppet Show!

Synopsis
Walter fulfills his childhood dream when he, Gary and Mary travel to Los Angeles to visit the Muppet Studios, only to find it in a derelict condition. And when they find out that oil baron Tex Richman has purchased the studios with the intent of demolishing it and drilling for oil underneath, they must get Kermit the Frog to regroup the old gang and host a telethon to raise $10 million to save their home.

Lowdown
It's great to be a Muppet fan again.

The Muppets is not only the first Muppet film in over 12 years, it celebrates the 35th anniversary of The Muppet Show. And what a triumphant return! Just about every Muppet you grew up with is back, and they're as wacky as ever. Many of their characteristics are still intact as if the last episode of The Muppet Show (which aired in 1981) was just yesterday. Even The Muppet Telethon opening number is spot-on to the original show's iconic sequence. And even though Walter is the newest Muppet, he really holds his ground as the film's lead Muppet.

Another big plus is, as with all Muppet features, the music. You can't help but sing along to the musical numbers - even the ever-cheesy Starship song "We Built This City". And the Muppet Barbershop Quartet's rendition of Nirvana's "Smell's Like Teen Spirit" is priceless. Of course, this film wouldn't be complete without new performances of the landmark Muppet songs "Rainbow Connection" and "Mah Na Mah Na". But perhaps the main showstopper is the Oscar-winning song "Man or Muppet" by Gary and Walter.

Yes, the Muppets are great as usual, but how about the human actors? Jason Segel and Amy Adams deliver a great performance, even though Adams is not as cute as she was in her previous films. Chris Cooper doesn't do much as the film's villain, but even for such a cheesy role, he is one villain you'd love to hate. Jack Black's uncredited appearance really brings down the house as the Muppets kidnap him and torture him with their skits. The cameo list is a who's who of stars from yesterday and today, including Sheldon Cooper as Walter's human form in the "Man or Muppet" segment.

In short, The Muppets is not only a big love letter to long-time Muppet fans, but also one of the best family films of this century.

Rating: A

Links
The Muppets Official Homepage

References
The Internet Movie Database Edited by areaseven

I loved this movie: it amazed me in that it did a re-introduction of an old franchise right, and was pretty fun to boot, too. It knew when to let the older characters take centre stage,without being afraid that audiences wouldn't like them anymore, or modernizing them too much. I teared up at "The Rainbow Connection" like a little girl, even though I'm a big one. :p

And props to Uncle Deadly.

It was once ranked as one of the worst songs ever by Rolling Stone and other magazines, but the Muppets actually made it cool

As a child of the 80's, it's one of my favorite songs ever, no matter what the haters say. Its inclusion was one of the highlights of the movie for me. (that and Amy Adams are the main reasons I went to see it)

Also, I always assume most people complain about the actual lyrics, which I tend to ignore in most songs--I go by the sound/instruments, which are typical pure 80's awesomeness.

Meh. It's all revisionist hate. "We Built This City" was a huge success on its release. Some critics slammed it as light fluff (i.e. part of pop music since its freakin' invention), while others bemoaned the transformation from psychadelic Jefferson Airplane to popadelic Starship (things change... deal with it). It's fashionable to deride the lighthearted stuff you actually loved when you were younger - unless it's swung around to retro cool or camp, then it's okay. It was and still is a catchy little tune.

Edited by Penguin

Heh, I remember being in 4th or 5th grade and EVERYONE seemed to love that song.

I hated it.

Yes, even as a child there was something wrong with me. :3

Another song i absolutely can't stand is F-You by C-Lo, but I cracked up when the chickens performed it in this movie.

Such a great movie.

"We built this city". I remember an interview with someone in the band where the interviewer asked what the song meant, and the band member spouted some gibberish - proving it meant nothing.

Still was a catchy song, I'd not listen to it now since after a few hundred times it just gets grating.