Resident Evil: Retribution (a.k.a. The New Sony Commercial)

I like how they incorporate just a tiny bit from the game each time one of these is pushed out of Hollywood's sphincter. Is that supposed to be Jill Valentine with the same "mind control" device attached to her chest?

One and the same, except the device looks WAY cheap in the movie. The one in the video game was a simpler device with wires piercing the chest, whereas the movie version has fake-looking spider legs.

Just what we need this year: another Resident Evil movie. Yes, Resident Evil: Retribution will once again be under the husband-wife duo of Paul W. S. Anderson and Milla Jovovich. It will also be a reunion film of sorts, with Michelle Rodriguez and others reprising their roles from the previous films.

Also, the teaser trailer doubles as a Sony commercial. Sony must be really desperate...

Wow... Daft Punk music from Tron: Legacy. Guess they couldn't think of any other musical score to use.

Official Site

Yeah. Great ad for Sony. Makes me want to go watch Tron: Legacy. Is that the desired effect?

Who plays Jill? She's pretty cute.

Sienna Guillory. You can see her run around in a toga and then get brutally raped in Helen of Troy, if you're interested. In any case, that last video/trailer was awful. I can totally see why this thing needs to be in 3D...

• 4 weeks later...

"Dogshit"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 31% - "Resident Evil: Retribution offers everything one might reasonably expect from the fifth installment in a heavily action-dependent franchise -- which means very little beyond stylishly hollow CGI-enhanced set pieces."

Metacritic Score: 39 out of 100

Edited by areaseven

Ya know the old saying, if you don't go watch the movie they wont make them sequels later on.

Because of my twisted sense of humor I'll go see this thing at least 7 times in 3D just to ensure another movie...

We went and did the Midnight showing. My GF summed it up the best in her FB post "I was getting irritate after 15 mins, 25 mins - annoyed, 35 mins - pissed, 50 mins -- WHATEVER!!! "

The best part was the three guys getting arrested during the middle of the movie for piracy.

• 4 months later...

Just finished watching this and it wasn't that bad imo. Better than all the rest, still bad, but NOT THAT BAD. lol, It was enjoyable.

Anyway, got to wondering how they keep making these movies? Then it dawned on me that these are kinda like the cheesy live action super crazy Japanese movies (no offense, I love them). After looking up some numbers at boxofficemojo, it pretty much confirmed my theory. They don't do so great in the U.S. but japan makes up a good portion of the Foreign gross. That's for all the RE movies too. So expect plenty more of these RE movies. As far as I understand it, these are only for theater sales, not DVD/BD.

Some quick numbers below for this movie:

Budget = 65m

Domestic = 42.3m

Foreign = 179.4m (Japan contributed 48.3m)

• 3 years later...