DYRL Bluray Release Confirmed

SCOOPUDA!

It's not really a matter of having an 'inside track.' If it was then I think that many of us here could claim the same. It's a matter of having cold hard facts as to why the decision was made. Without that, all it is is another unfounded internet rumour.
From experience I believe that the game rating had nothing to do with the decision. But since I don't have any indisputable facts that are public I'm not going to 'guarantee' my opinion is irrefutable fact.

Edited by Tochiro

Not saying who's wrong or who's right... but I've met anime "industry" people (and even "Macross" people) at Tochiro's parties... but I have yet to meet Keith.

Ahhh, those were my parties. He was just renting a room back then. Last time I BBQ for you people.

Edited by Save

My copy finally arrived!

For the curious:

- Purchased from YesAsia 2/1; on sale for $129 and paid the extra $20 for express shipping

- Shipped 2/4 and arrived (I'm in Northern California) 2/11; good timing as they had a notice on their website about shipping temporarily being suspended for a few days starting on the 9th because of the Lunar New Year

Flipped through it quickly and I can see the things some people are unhappy about, but I'm personally satisfied with my purchase. I'm currently ripping this to my hard drive and going to start re-timing subtitle files to add later. Here's the film strip I ended up with:

nNeAI8C.jpg

damn you guys.. just picked this one up to as well since I was late to the party. Anyone ever traded their film strips? Mine should be here by next month. Sigh...crazy.. I can't believe I picked up this, Zero on BD, and Mac7 box set 1 in one go.. damn.. gotta control the addiction.

damn you guys.. just picked this one up to as well since I was late to the party. Anyone ever traded their film strips? Mine should be here by next month. Sigh...crazy.. I can't believe I picked up this, Zero on BD, and Mac7 box set 1 in one go.. damn.. gotta control the addiction.

It all starts so innocently with Zero on BD, next thing you know you're just waiting on Plus & II to complete your collection...

Hi there guys, is the following product:

http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/japanese-video-games-playstation-3/1930-ps3-chou-jikuu-yousai-macross-ai-oboeteimasuka-hybrid-pack-.html

the ps3 game (my boyfriend is a pilot) and the do you remember love movie?, thanks!

Yes, it has both on one disc. But be aware that it is only the regular edition and not the limited edition with all the extra stuff like Flashback 2012 and the documentary, books, filmstrip, etc.

Yes, it has both on one disc. But be aware that it is only the regular edition and not the limited edition with all the extra stuff like Flashback 2012 and the documentary, books, filmstrip, etc.

Oh ok thanks, I see... do you know or does anybody know where I could get for cheap that disc ? (the bluray movie and the game), thanks!.

Oh ok thanks, I see... do you know or does anybody know where I could get for cheap that disc ? (the bluray movie and the game), thanks!.

I got mine a couple of weeks ago for $130 (plus $20 for express shipping) here:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/macross-do-you-remember-love-hybrid-pack-first-press-limited-edition/1030474905-0-0-0-en/info.html

The price has since gone up a tad to $150, but I think this still might be the cheapest around at the moment.

Edit: not sure if you were after the LE or standard, sorry!

Edited by esdeeyephwon

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

???

Why compare against the original release?

There is a 2008 remastered R2 DVD release whose quality is as near to the Blu-ray as the DVD format would allow.

The Blu-ray would be a better choice if you were to try to remove/reduce the grain. I've tried downsizing both to 360p with denoising and the Blu-ray version is slightly cleaner and is about 15-20% smaller.

My thought is that the grain is captured more finely in 1080p and that makes it easier to be removed.

However, I worked with 2nd-hand sources, not raw rips, so my conclusion may be invalid.

Edited by nhyone

Yes I was talking about DYRL. And to answer your question, I the *original* Region 2 Japanese dvd that came out in 1998 in the LD sized box has a far superior picture than the remastered 2008 DVD, despite the fact that it's interlaced.

No, it really doesn't line defail, color balance and black levels are all betfer in the 2008 release.

Hello, first time poster here. I just bought the AMAZING Macross DYRL blu-ray and would like to figure out how to add subtitles to it. I know fans have added subtitles to anime films/shows for many years. Is there a tutorial anywhere that someone could direct me to as to how to do that? I'd like to have Macross DYRL subtitled in the highest quality possible. Thanks in advance!

Hello, first time poster here. I just bought the AMAZING Macross DYRL blu-ray and would like to figure out how to add subtitles to it. I know fans have added subtitles to anime films/shows for many years. Is there a tutorial anywhere that someone could direct me to as to how to do that? I'd like to have Macross DYRL subtitled in the highest quality possible. Thanks in advance!

If your PC has a Blu-ray drive, all you need to do is install AnyDVD HD (without it, you'll only be able to play BDs with proprietary players like PowerDVD) and Media Player Classic (which is included in CCCP).

Then pop your BD in your PC, open Media Player Classic, click on File -> Open DVD/BD and select your Blu-ray drive. As your BD starts playing, hit Ctrl+L and select your subtitle file. That's it. However, you might need to re-time your subtitle file with Aegisub beforehand, so that it syncs with the BD's audio.

Edited by Zhou

If your PC has a Blu-ray drive, all you need to do is install AnyDVD HD (without it, you'll only be able to play BDs with proprietary players like PowerDVD) and Media Player Classic (which is included in CCCP).

Then pop your BD in your PC, open Media Player Classic, click on File -> Open DVD/BD and select your Blu-ray drive. As your BD starts playing, hit Ctrl+L and select your subtitle file. That's it. However, you might need to re-time your subtitle file with Aegisub beforehand, so that it syncs with the BD's audio.

Thanks for the prompt and informative response, I appreciate it!

• 2 months later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

very late to the game but i picked up the limited edition hybrid pack. for 131 usd ems shipped. it says it was used but it came everything sealed and untouched. so i guess it may have been a return.

photo2_zpse785944d.jpgphoto1_zps87edca40.jpgphoto4_zpseffb2ac9.jpgphoto5_zpsd195b86e.jpg

Guest davidwhangchoi

Great price.

Which film cel did you get?

i got this one:

photo_zps7fc4b9fb.jpg

I see it also came with two enormous Valks! You got a pretty cool deal, there! :D

thanks guys, Ratuken Japan had a free shipping campaign in November. i got ems shipped free.

lol. those valks have been just sitting there next to the MWcon t-shirt i got in the mail a month ago. they've both just been sitting by my receiver. i have all these valks in boxes just randomly lying around my place.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i just finished watching the blu ray DYRL, my impressions

sound:

the audio is interesting. all the new sounds seem ok but makes the original sound effects seem dated when mixed in.

there are very bad doctored audio edits in two places during the final battle song using the DTS-HD MA track:

first is once britai's ship fires and the macross crashes into boldolza's ship. in that segment the audio is edited when the drum fill in comes to match the still images of the sdf-1 crashing in. it sounds as if they cut off second and stretched the audio there. (as a drummer you can feel when the rhythm is off even for a split second.)

the second is where hikaru vf-1s salutes the macross and heads out alone in the final tunnel scene. just right before the vocals starts you'll here a slight pause from the bad editing.

for anyone that wants to test and confirm:

• cue up the movie at 1:42:00 using the DTS HD MA track
  • close your eyes at 1:42:00 min mark and play it (chapter 33 on the disc)
  • then swap audio tracks to the linear pcm 2 channel track and play it back from the 1:42:00 mark: closing your eyes
  • i guarantee you'll hear a difference.
  • the second point is 1:42:55 sec when hikaru vf-1s salutes. you'll hear a stutter pause on the vocals as hikaru's heading into the tunnel.
  • swap audio tracks at 1:42:55 and you'll notice the smooth non-edit on the 2 channel pcm track right when the vocals start.

Video:

the HD remastering was good for most scenes but a few scenes had a soft look.reminds me of the the 2nd re-release bluray version of predator which had a very soft upconvert, almost an out of focus look. so everyone just kept the original verision.

overall, i liked the transfer bc i finally was able to notice some details i couldn't see from the fx bootleg dvd i have. this was the first time i saw kakizaki actually having green teal colors on his helmet as well as a green skull patch on his uniform. making me want to get the yamato scheme. (in the 80s- 90s i thought kaki was blue, this misconception was also reinforced when watching the extras of the flashback 2012 bluray, the playstation clips shows kaki's DRYL helmet as blue...) and i can actually see a lot of shadow detail in dark scenes (majority of the movie is dark) that i couldn't see before. like britai ship after hikaru blows boldolza's head off.

one noticeable issue, is at least watching off my pioneer kuro 151fd, i had to engage the 24hz playback mode on my ps3 or the picture would have a strong judder in almost every scene.

i noticed the opening japanese fonts which were added as an introduction before the movie started, were fine but once the film started, it was almost unwatchable.

a good example is the ending credits at the end of the movie, it would flicker very strongly watching in standard 60hz mode. once the 24hz was engaged the picture was beautiful throughout.

(i'm going to try to watch it on another tv just to confirm.)

over all it's good.

i'm going to give it another go tonight.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Is there any way to get a burned blu-ray of DYRL with subtitles already added to it so it can be watched from a regular BD player?

(I own the non-limited version of the BD already, so it would be my one legal backup copy, not trying to pirate anything, but words would be nice :) )

Edited by Robowang

• 2 weeks later...