DYRL Bluray Release Confirmed

SCOOPUDA!

Please, those of you who have it already give us a good and honest review.

I pre-ordered from Amiami and got the payment request. I am a little bit dissapointed with the blur edits and sound glitches.

If i am going to cancel my order, I need to give a reasonable explanation to Amiami to avoid any penalties.

See what I originally wrote about the theatrical screening on the front page. Its the exact same thing (sound glitch appears to be hardware specific so I doubt it could be used as an excuse).

What about the new intro/ending bits?

They suck. :p

The intro is literally the thing which Kawamori said 30 years ago he didn't want to do -- a cheesy wall of scrolling text explaining the background.

The ending is a grainy FB2012.

Oh and the FB2012 disc is even worse -- it's a tiny box in the middle of the screen! It's like the original PAL-region SNES release of Street Fighter II: only this time, you lose every time.

On a brighter note -- the visuals are not that bad at all, in fact, I'd say they look great. And I'll repeat, the grainy-ness and blurry-ness are issues with the original materials, so whatcha gonna doo.

The best thing of all for me is the magazine article collection. Fantastic. B)) I also love how they actually included the interview I translated last week where Kawamori states clearly that PUTTING A WALL OF TEXT TO EXPLAIN STUFF IS STUPID. Shame he obviously didn't read it. :(

The best thing of all for me is the magazine article collection. Fantastic. B)) I also love how they actually included the interview I translated last week where Kawamori states clearly that PUTTING A WALL OF TEXT TO EXPLAIN STUFF IS STUPID. Shame he obviously didn't read it. :(

Hahah!! I wonder if Kawamori also get to approve the merchs in the box. If not I'd like to think it's someone in the company in a roundabout way of getting back at him for all his edits...

Oh, and as I suspected, the issue with audio/visual cut-outs is due to the chapter-switching that occurs when you select the 1984 "theatrical" (my ass) version -- because the default running pattern is to play the introductory text during the black screen just before Britai and Exedore appear. At that point the 1984 version did an odd little skip which I noticed as I observed the timecodes on my PS3. Obviously, some players will react differently to others.

All that because Kawamori absolutely has to have his goddamn scrolling text. <_<

Hahah!! I wonder if Kawamori also get to approve the merchs in the box. If not I'd like to think it's someone in the company in a roundabout way of getting back at him for all his edits...

I'm sure he did, but I doubt he read every article beginning to end.

Oh and the FB2012 disc is even worse -- it's a tiny box in the middle of the screen! It's like the original PAL-region SNES release of Street Fighter II: only this time, you lose every time.

How bad does the quality get if you zoom in on the video?

Sounds like what I was expecting (fb2012), so I'm cool there. As for the rest, maybe I'm just getting old, but there's nothing I've read that makes me want to pass on this release.

Sounds like what I was expecting (fb2012), so I'm cool there. As for the rest, maybe I'm just getting old, but there's nothing I've read that makes me want to pass on this release.

Yeah, even with FB2012 not perfect, this is likely gonna be the definitive version for awhile so you can't go wrong with it.

So, the FB2012 disc is pointless in blu-ray format. I am now considering canceling my order and buy the regualr version instead.

I was expecting more of FB 2012, but I can better watch it in Youtube. I will read more reviews of the boxset and decide whether is worth it or not.

Yeah, even with FB2012 not perfect, this is likely gonna be the definitive version for awhile so you can't go wrong with it.

Definitive? I don't know about that... If ONLY they hadn't edited it. I wonder how this compares to the HD Remaster on DVD.

Edit: Aside from our wallets, is there anyway we can show displeasure with the edits? Is there an e-mail address I can send an e-mail to? Anything at all? :(

Edited by Oihan

Definitive? I don't know about that... If ONLY they hadn't edited it. I wonder how this compares to the HD Remaster on DVD.

Edit: Aside from our wallets, is there anyway we can show displeasure with the edits? Is there an e-mail address I can send an e-mail to? Anything at all? :(

Definitive Blu-Ray version then?

Knock yourself out, dude:

https://bandainamcogames.custhelp.com/app/ask/p/284,2343,2344

Has anyone who ordered from CDJapan received any movement or notifications yet? There has been no charge to my credit card this morning, but it says my order status is "processed" - but I haven't received any e-mails of any kind yet. - argh...

I received a shipping notice from CD Japan, but the EMS tracking number is not yet active. Note that I didn't order the "special request" version.

A reviewer on Amazon has found a few other minor edits. He says that after the battle, when Minmay and Misa exchange looks, the voice is gone when they smile. I think he also says 5 frames are missing when Bodolza's head collapses. At least we have the choice of listening to the original audio.

But heres the REAL strip (this arrived today too) ;-)

post-9325-0-27566000-1343284974_thumb.jpg

Is that going to be our "Han shot first" mantra? :lol:

My vote would be to make up a name for him. "Larry got his head chopped off!" It could catch on.

BTW, I have to praise amiami customer service. They sent me an automated payment confirmation, but they also replied directly to my inquiry and re-confirmed payment late last night. Then early this morning I got my shipping confirmation with tracking info. Hope it doesn't take too long to get here. :)

Regarding FB-2012, would be fair to say that watching the official DVD upscaled on my Blu-ray player is comparable to what I would get when watching the Blu-ray of FB2012?

Edited by sharky

Argh, I think I missed the first round and only got in on the more expensive "special request" version. Now I'm getting an available e-mail from Play-Asia! Damn.

No sound issues at all on my PS3. Having said that...did someone order some blur?

Is this the "theatrical version" and not a strange artifact from taking a photo of a TV? If everything is normal, this can't be right. That shot doesn't even look like it belongs in DYRL. The most offensive thing is if they have the nerve to call that a "theatrical version."

The sad thing is the whole package looks perfect except for the one easy thing that should be perfect. The movie. They could have released an unrestored/unremastered original cut yet in HD plus the special edition and I would have been happy. This is actually worse than what George Lucas did with Star Wars to some extent as he didn't try to pass off the special edition as an original version.

Edited by JetJockey

Is this the "theatrical version" and not a strange artifact from taking a photo of a TV? If everything is normal, this can't be right. That shot doesn't even look like it belongs in DYRL. The most offensive thing is if they have the nerve to call that a "theatrical version."

Please note how the rest of the shot is focused. Also, the image is paused. No strange artifacting of any kind.

For those of you who ordered the special version from amiami, who much did you pay with shipping to the USA (California if you happen to live here)?

Well, I live in South America and I am about to pay 13.120 JPY SAL registered. That if I don't cancel my order due to the blur edits and useless FB2012.

If the regular version of DYRL includes the Flashback ending then I can buy that and be happy saving some bucks. But I am now realizing I got a descent price of the Hybrid from Amiami.

I will wait for more pictures of the booklet and extras. Please guys, show us some more pictures.

Well, I live in South America and I am about to pay 13.120 JPY SAL registered. That if I don't cancel my order due to the blur edits and useless FB2012.

If the regular version of DYRL includes the Flashback ending then I can buy that and be happy saving some bucks. But I am now realizing I got a descent price of the Hybrid from Amiami.

I will wait for more pictures of the booklet and extras. Please guys, show us some more pictures.

This is essentially what you're getting from the LE. http://www.macross30.com/1stmovie/anniversarybox/

I paid 2400JPY for EMS to Hawaii.

Thanks. I missed my window for the LE from amiami, and had to buy from nippon yasan. Their price was fair but shipping was super expensive ($50 for EMS???). I ended up paying for the SAL option for ~2400 yen. But now have to wait 2 weeks if not more to get it.

CDJapan charged me 4300Y for EMS to Canada - at least that's what it said on the order, but it hasn't gone through on my credit card yet nor have I received any e-mail from them!

I had to register just cuz this release frustrates me.

I had two pre-orders, play-asia charging me $220+ and cdjapan charging me $200+, for shipping to California (I cancelled both when I saw the news of the edits however).

I don't blame you for canceling (too much). Amiami had the best deal going on the LE. I watched some of DYRL that was broadcast on Japanese TV (Macross Seminar). I think we have all been taken for a ride by Kawamori-san. Edited by gshock

I have no doubt that Bandai is starting to go thru the emails from fans right now and getting them ready to be forwarded to Kawamori right now with the basic message of "You are a goddamn idiot".

He's probably going to have to comment about his decisions sooner or later especially with Bandai's comment in one of the post earlier that this is all under Kawamori's supervision.

Which probably means that they see the problems early on and decided to wash their hands of it all, or after when the fans started sending messages to them telling them they don't want changes by which time it was all too late to do anything anymore but to start distancing themselves.

Like I said before, Kawamori is just going to have to take his lumps whatever the case.

Has anyone who ordered from CDJapan received any movement or notifications yet? There has been no charge to my credit card this morning, but it says my order status is "processed" - but I haven't received any e-mails of any kind yet. - argh...

I was on the second round of orders and my EMS just got activated.

Edited by Strumvogel

Until I get confirmaton on the edits, I ain't buying nuthin!

I won't support a "Lucased" version of DYRL in ANY format.

I'll stick with my inferior but intact re-mastered DVD release and IF the movie is intact as it was back in '84 or even the remaster release then I'll drop the money to get a copy of the new BD.

@ Oihan, you express your displeasure by NOT buying the product. Speak to their wallets and most corporations will listen.

Edited by Zinjo