DYRL Bluray Release Confirmed

SCOOPUDA!

PlayAsia also has preorder listings up. The standard hybrid pack is available but the collector's limited edition says coming soon. Keep an eye on it. PlayAsia is pretty reliable; I use them mostly for import games and whatnot.

Standard Hybrid Pack

Limited Edition Hybrid Pack (Not open yet - coming soon)

Edited by Valkyrie23

all i can say is good luck to you guys trying to get the uber-box.

however, i wish extreme bad karma for those douchebag scalpers that cleaned out the online uber-box stocks just to gouge the fans. hope they get stuck with their uber-boxes unsold.

hope and wish no one (macross-fan or otherwise) even think of considering buying the uber-box thru the various auction sites.

just get the regular edition if you can't get the uber-box at the msrp or below it.

don't let yourself get gouged by the scalpers!

Got to say I feel kind of lucky with the special box edition....

Checked this morning (melbourne) and saw both versions at Amiami, I thought cool I will grab he limited box edition. Whoops sold out..

Ok so I get the standard edition and move on. Earlier today the preorder opened up again (for the box set) and I managed to get in just before it closed again!

I think it will look amazing, now the waiting game...

Are you kidding, I missed it again?............definately getting annoyed with this.

Well its almost the same price as the VHS of DYRL when it came out in the 1980's, so nobody should complain about price!

Leonardo

That's the thing, complaining about price would be great, if we could get freakin' pre-orders in!

yesasia still has the limited boxset listed. its quite a bit more than amiami but at least its still available.

Wow, $70 markup over CDjapan, I wonder how if they'll actually be able to fill the order with that markup.

Wow, $70 markup over CDjapan, I wonder how if they'll actually be able to fill the order with that markup.

Chances are, yes. Because anything "limited edition" and "Macross" in Japan these days is produced in such low numbers as to completely punish the potential buying audience...thus increasing demand significantly. $70 is just the minimum of the markups we will see moving forward. It's complete bullshit. Scalpers must be loving these recent trends in the anime/collectibles industry.

No, I didn't get one, either. And this boxset is everything I could ever want. The only way to get Flashback is to buy this uber set? GEE, THANKS. :(

So, against my better judgment, I opted for the YesAsia preorder. At least they are taking orders. And I figured EMS shipping at any of the other sites would be close to a chunk of the markup I'm paying here. I guess. But this is my favorite film of all time, so there's no way I'm missing out on the full blu-ray box.

Why is being a non-Japanese resident Macross fan so difficult these days? We deserve a medal or something for the punishment we go through for this franchise we adore, I swear.

Well its almost the same price as the VHS of DYRL when it came out in the 1980's, so nobody should complain about price!

Leonardo

The official VHS cost that much?!?

Great scott!!!

>The official VHS cost that much?!?

I think it was 12,800 yen marked on the videotape.

But in those days you had to factor in the Books Nippan markup (They were the only game in town) ^_^

This rich/spoiled kid showed it off in animation class in High School circa 1985/86

He had went to world con and got:

1. Macross the movie Japanese VHS

2. Macross the movie deluxe (Gold book)

3. A bootleg cassette tape of the BGM from the TV series.

4. A bootleg of Macross Mech Grafitti

5. A bunch of flyers for the "Macross Fan club"

Not sure if he had any attention from the ladies after that, But he had mine ~_^

Edited by oshanmacross

amiami pre order for the limited edition was just opened momentarily. I was able to place an order before it was sold out again. Don't give up. Keep checking.

I know they're doing it to tease me...

Well, I'm practically up for preordering it when ever I can get a chance. I'd love to use the footage for the 2.0 dub. I think it'd be super awesome if anything to have HD video completely restored in hires in english.

Hell, having a bonus game would be rather awesome too! Hard to justify the price, but I'll live.

Yeah, I wrote CDJapan 2 days ago, no response. Even tried begging AmazonJP to re-classify it as a bluray, no dice (but they were kind enough to respond). The fact that Amazon hasn't closed its pre-orders leads me to believe that A: They got the lions share of pre-orders from BV, or B: This item won't be as limited as every shop that ships to the U.S. is making it look. Regardless, those extra's are pretty freakin' sweet.

Yeah, I wrote CDJapan 2 days ago, no response. Even tried begging AmazonJP to re-classify it as a bluray, no dice (but they were kind enough to respond). The fact that Amazon hasn't closed its pre-orders leads me to believe that A: They got the lions share of pre-orders from BV, or B: This item won't be as limited as every shop that ships to the U.S. is making it look. Regardless, those extra's are pretty freakin' sweet.

AmazonJP never closes its pre-orders before release. At least I've never heard of such an instance. I am curious to hear their response regarding the classification as a game, though.

Rakuten Japan still has the DYRL limited edition BD

set available for sale.

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/

/超時空要塞マクロス〜愛・おぼえていますか〜Hybrid-Pack〜ハイブリッドパック-初回限定版「30周年アニバーサリーボックス」-PS3-4582224494767/item/11613852/

But, you would need a proxy service to get it.

http://www.ebay.ca/i...984.m1439.l2649

I have bought from Yahoo Japan Auction with this ebay seller many times and

received good service. I sent them an email now about buying

the DYRL BD on Rakuten Japan.

I'll update the post here for proxy pricing.

Masa, ebay proxy seller said

"On Macross anniversary Package:....

Item Price : 11,730 JPY (US$146.63)

Our Commission : 1,760 JPY (US$22.00)

Total : 20,118 JPY (US$168.63)

We would have to find out the EMS shipping cost after the item is

delivered to our location."

Edited by boinger

The DYRL movie was first released in Japan in July 1984, so would we see another 30th Anniversary DYRL boxset in 2014 ? Just wondering.

After multiple fansubbed VHS cassette's rips, VCD's, the Perfect Collection boot, the HD release, and now this.

I think this should be the last version I'll ever need. -_-

It looks fantastic. I have my preorder in, so I'll be super anxious to see this on Blu-ray. If you guys can't get the rare set, you shouldn't worry too much. Save yourself some money and get the regular set.

2) Unfortunately, the master film for Flashback 2012 doesn't exist, so it will be an upconvert from the best quality master available.

Expected but still disappointing they're not remastering it properly.

Anyone know if they still have the film for the animated parts? Can this actually be redone eventually when they finally feel like putting the effort in? Or is it genuinely doomed to stay SD due to reasons other than time/money/effort?

Expected but still disappointing they're not remastering it properly.

Anyone know if they still have the film for the animated parts? Can this actually be redone eventually when they finally feel like putting the effort in? Or is it genuinely doomed to stay SD due to reasons other than time/money/effort?

Read the quoted text, the film elements aren't around anymore! Not surprising considering the video editing techniques they used at the time. All we can hope is that they've been able to reasonably upscale from a high quality analog master. It won't look great, but it could look decent.

Read the quoted text, the film elements aren't around anymore! Not surprising considering the video editing techniques they used at the time. All we can hope is that they've been able to reasonably upscale from a high quality analog master. It won't look great, but it could look decent.

Quote only says "master film for Flashback 2012 doesn't exist" because the whole thing only exists on video, so there is no "master film for Flashback 2012" and never was.

But the animation parts still had to be shot on film first before being telecined to video for editing with the other footage. That still has to be out there unless something happened to it, which is what I want to know.

As I said in my post on the first page, this is the same exact problem as Star Trek TNG. Shot on film but originally edited on video so it's been looking like crap for years. Now for the BDs they're going back to rescan the film and reedit everything again. Japan should be able to do the same with Flashback 2012.

So other then AmiAmi, CDjapan, AmazonJP, YesAsia & PlayAsia are there any other online outlets for getting this besides auction scalpers?

I'm surprised. I could have sworn a few years ago there were many more reliable online stores that sold import games & dvd's.

Ok, with all due respect to everyone feeling frustrated regarding the availability of the limited edition, from experience I'm pretty sure it wont be THAT limited.

What we are seeing here is basically the fact that the major online supplier for most international orders (Amazon Jpn) is refusing to ship it due to the pack-in game. This, in addition to the legendary status of the movie and the fact that its somewhat more affordable than the tv boxset AND many people wordwide are wanting to upgrade from the rather lackluster DVD version means that smaller online retailers have been utterly swamped by demand. So its not an issue of the limited edition being as limited as, say a chogokin reissue. No, this is a different situation entirely although granted that doesnt make any difference to those who didnt manage to get a preorder.

I just wanted to point out the obvious however - this is not an issue of Bandai or scalpers trying to drive demand up via an ultra limited print run.

One small suggestion would be to organize a group proxy order. One that doesnt totally rip you off. To that end I would recommend Tokyo Hunter.

As long as theres someone in Japan that can order it for you, you will be able to get past the one big issue thats causing all this commotion - the Amazon game classification of the product.

Edited by Tochiro