DYRL Bluray Release Confirmed

SCOOPUDA!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the LE DYRL pack.

I only had the FX bootleg of the movie and I thought it was impressive. So, imagine how I felt when I put the Blu-ray.

I only watched a couple of scenes, so far the movie looks fantastic, some blurry scenes here and there but the quality of the image is outstanding.

The 5.1 surround is amazing too. You can hear all sound effects better and the Ai Oboete Imasu ka song is pure gold. Macross fans should be very happy with this release despite the minor censored and blurry scenes.

Here is my film strip. Got a nice one, worth a wallpaper:

dyrlfilm.jpg

I FINALLY got my LE BR box today, from YesAsia.com. Ordered and paid in advance back in March, shipped 7/27, and eventually re-shipped 9/3 after the first never showed up, 30 days had passed. This time, I sprang the extra $12 for their "express" shipping on 8/28.

That ended up being FedEx, which I eventually got today, off the truck at the service center, after they missed the "hold at the service center" order I put on it on Wednesday. They tried to deliver it anyway. The nice lady there at the service center acknowledged the mistake, promised to put it on hold for me after the truck returned, and then it would be available for pickup tomorrow. An hour later, I get the email notification that the package is no longer on hold and scheduled for re-delivery on Monday. Also, I get an email notification that the item is back at the Service Center. So, I go back and another nice young lady, who had no idea how I was possibly getting all this information sooner than she seemed to get it, eventually was able to locate and retrieve the shipment. She looked kinda creeped out when my phone got the email notification letting me know I had just signed for the package... I don't think she thought she was done changing the status in the system yet.

Anyway... I'm just thankful YesAsia was able to replace the shipment. They stalled a few weeks with dates to wait for and hoops to jump through. I had to wait days for my PayPal payment for the express shipping to clear, writing back to confirm I had still not received the original shipment before they would re-ship. I had to wait 30 days (on a shipment that was originally quoted at a 7 day estimate) before they would consider replacement. I think maybe they had sold out of stock, and had to wait until somebody returned one for box damage, because despite the several layers of bubble wrap, a corner of the box has a good little crunch. After waiting this long, it's not like I'm going to reject it.

But I finally got it, a month later! Some of the extras are really nice, and I watched through everything, and played once through all the regular games levels, and here's the filmstrip I got:

DYRL_filmstrip.jpg

so is this pretty much impossible to get now? anyone know where a late comer to this might get his hands on one?

Long shot: An online store may still have a copy floating around. I won't hold my hopes to highly on that though.

Otherwise it's Ebay and Yahoo online auction sites, etc. at prices I don't even want to think about.

The other remaining way is to find them in secondhand stores in Japan or have someone find it for you there.

The prices are indeed getting a bit mad. Yuka is holding onto the ones which were returned to the shop by disgruntled fans, and plans to clean up in a few weeks/months when Rakuten Auctions ot Yahoo have reached their peak.

There are still bargains to be had, especially on Rakuten - and an increasing number of vendors there are willing to ship internationally, unlike Yahoo.

• 2 weeks later...

SO, uh, we know for sure the movie has been edited?

EDIT: Also, not sure where you guys are getting the idea that prices are "crazy"; you can get these on YAJ right now for about the same as, if not slightly less than Japanese retail.

Edited by kazuo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a new comer to the Blu-ray game.

Can anyone here recommend where to get the blu-ray version/s of DYRL? I intend for this movie to be one of the first in my collection!

Thanks in advance to anyone suggesting websites.

http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/japanese-video-games-playstation-3/1930-ps3-chou-jikuu-yousai-macross-ai-oboeteimasuka-hybrid-pack-.html

http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/japanese-video-games-playstation-3/1931-ps3-chou-jikuu-yousai-macross-ai-oboeteimasuka-hybrid-pack-limited-edition.html

• 2 months later...

So, it looks like DYRL LE is currently on sale and can be had for $130 US so I jumped on this:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/macross-do-you-remember-love-hybrid-pack-first-press-limited-edition/1030474905-0-0-0-en/info.html

But now I'm worried. Is this a reputable retailer? I know, I know... I should've done more research. I'm hoping it's not a "too good to be true" thing with it ending up to be some bootleg. :|

So, it looks like DYRL LE is currently on sale and can be had for $130 US so I jumped on this:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/macross-do-you-remember-love-hybrid-pack-first-press-limited-edition/1030474905-0-0-0-en/info.html

But now I'm worried. Is this a reputable retailer? I know, I know... I should've done more research. I'm hoping it's not a "too good to be true" thing with it ending up to be some bootleg. :|

Yes, they are reputable. I've ordered from them several times, including the DYRL LE last year.

Tempting. I just can't support this edit. I think that company is ok. I recall seeing a few deals from them before.

Tempting. I just can't support this edit.

In my opinion, the edit is virtually virtually a non-issue considering all the other great, great stuff that's in this box. I would recommend it to anybody who has a slightest interest in Macross in a heartbeat.

In my opinion, the edit is virtually virtually a non-issue considering all the other great, great stuff that's in this box. I would recommend it to anybody who has a slightest interest in Macross in a heartbeat.

I didn't buy the Star Wars Blu-rays or Special Edition DVDs because of the edits either. I just can't support this sort of thing. I saw the clips on youtube and it's obvious. The stepping on head edit looks like a modern technique as I assume they don't use it anywhere else in the movie.

I didn't buy the Star Wars Blu-rays or Special Edition DVDs because of the edits either. I just can't support this sort of thing. I saw the clips on youtube and it's obvious. The stepping on head edit looks like a modern technique as I assume they don't use it anywhere else in the movie.

It's a nice sentiment and all. Wish I could stick to these types of ideals sometimes...but I think we all fuc*ked up sending a message to the powers-that-be by buying them anyway. I don't think there's gonna be any landfills of unbought edited DYRL Blurays out there. That's my jaded take on it anyway.

It's a nice sentiment and all. Wish I could stick to these types of ideals sometimes...but I think we all fuc*ked up sending a message to the powers-that-be by buying them anyway. I don't think there's gonna be any landfills of unbought edited DYRL Blurays out there. That's my jaded take on it anyway.

Exactly. And I can guaruntee that the edits had absolutely nothing to do with Kawamori wanting to change things, and "EVERYTHING" to do with the release being catagorized as a videogame. Now I'm not sure if it happened specifically because the demo is included, but I suspect it has something to do with some strange Japanese media law mandating game content being included on a release automatically holds everything in that release to the standards of a game. Why is that important? Current Japanese game standards stipulate that violent imagery regarding specific things like head explosions/gore have to be censored. Sucks, but hardly a case of retcon editing that some are making this out to be.

-Keith

I just ordered it :) woooohoooo!

I dont mind too much about the few seconds that were cut out, actually I want to initiate my nephews into the Macross world and what better way to do so than showing them this movie. Maybe this edition is the best way as it has those bits removed, later on they can watch the complete thing. I dont want their moms backlash for just a few bits of gore.

The comparisson with Star Wars regarding the editing of this new release, I understand it, but do not agree with it. Star Wars edition stuff I think it is more related to Gorge Lucas wanting to update the copyrights on his old material so he can continously profit even from the TV re runs. Greed on so many levels.

The cuts for this edition I think are related to keep the product children safe as it contains the game.

Actually, I was thinking... Macross is way better than Star Wars on so many levels.

For instance!,In Star Wars they have a Force based on bacteriae, ajem, I mean, midichlorians, we have a pretty much unexplained and infinite more cool Spiritia!.

In Star Wars, they only have to deal with two Sith lords at a time, two!!, and most of the time two Sith Lords can handle houndreds of Jedis at the point they can even get them extinct, geez!. In Macross, they have to fight an infinite number of huge greenish human like war obsessed bad asses, or am unbeatable self-evolving lobster-like swarm, and they eventually can handle it!

They have Jar Jar, we have LinMay, Mylene and Ranka, hot and funny characters is it not?

I think I could go on an on about this, haha.

Exactly. And I can guaruntee that the edits had absolutely nothing to do with Kawamori wanting to change things, and "EVERYTHING" to do with the release being catagorized as a videogame. Now I'm not sure if it happened specifically because the demo is included, but I suspect it has something to do with some strange Japanese media law mandating game content being included on a release automatically holds everything in that release to the standards of a game. Why is that important? Current Japanese game standards stipulate that violent imagery regarding specific things like head explosions/gore have to be censored. Sucks, but hardly a case of retcon editing that some are making this out to be.

-Keith

Keith, nobody doubts the passion you have for the franchise, but you have always let that trump facts and logic in the ten years we have both been posting here. Like, every single time. How can you guarantee this? Were you there at the meetings? Did you actually look up the Japanese media laws to check and see if game content laws also extend to what's on the rest of the disc? Guaranteeing something with no proof just spreads inaccurate information throughout the internet, and usually that crap spreads faster than the facts. Remember the whole "Animefriend" embargo? If you have proof, please share it. It really gets on my nerves, when I have to spend the next decade cleaning up the trash that has become legend, just because some dude typed some random thought ages ago on some board.

You may be right. But we don't know. Here's what I wrote ages ago:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=37131&p=989304

I wrote "only" there, but looking back, maybe it can be taken to mean that they changed the content of the movie just to suit that rating. So let's play devil's advocate and go with that.

Now, the package specifically refers to the DYRL PS1 game as being classified CERO B for sex & violence, while the PS3 game is CERO A. They actually differentiated them. OK, well, the PS1 download codes only came with the Limited Edition, and if we look back at the news, we can see that this was a late addition to the box set. Thus, it seems unlikely that they made the cuts just for that. But more importantly, it means that the rating for the stand-alone release is CERO A. Which means, playable by all -- in other words, this should not have any effect on the content at all, and there should be no cuts in the movie. But there are.

The other thing is all the gore and violence that was in the Macross F movie Sayonara no Tsubasa is still there, intact, even though that's marketed as a game, too.

Just to add my 2 yen, IF the movie was edited in order to make it match the rating of one of the games, this wouldn't explain why the cut version was also the one shown at the cinema.

IMO, the game rating has very little, if anything, to do with this situation as well. but I'll stop short of 'guaranteeing' anything ;)

Sayonara no Tsubasa didn't (to my recall) have any head explosions, and that tends to be the area that the Japanese ratings specific target. Believe what you want, but I do currently have an inside track on these types of issues.