Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force (Thread no.2)

IXTL

I do think it's amusing that so many people bitched and moaned about how expensive every little Yamato item was and now that the source has been cut off they're panicking and buying up everything. That's the epitome of looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Yeah i agree. I think i mentioned this in a post last year sometime that i was worried about the state of yamato because people were passing on initial release to wait for the eventual sale. I think Bandai had a part in this as a lot of people were focusing on getting their stuff first as it would be harder to get latter on and that the yamato stuff would most likely still be there waiting for them. But like mechanianc said above, not everyone can afford to get them right away.

Well, speaking for myself, since I placed an order with HKC for a VF-19S and a VF-17S earlier this week for ~50% off each (still waiting for the shipping notification email from them, BTW), I essentially got two Valks for the price of one; therefore, my complaining that Yamato 1/60s are, with the exception of the VF-1, grossly overpriced in general, still stands... it's one of the primary reasons I waited this long . All the doom and gloom concerning Yamato's demise and the drying up of supply everywhere were just the last little push I needed to pull the trigger on these, but if they were going for full price or anything less than 40% off I would not have bought them because they would've been too expensive to me, to my perception of their true value.

Just my 2 cents...

Would you like a Yamato FB2012 VF-4 now? How about a renewal VF-0? Or a renewal YF-19? Because you're not getting any of those at any price anymore.

Would you like a Yamato FB2012 VF-4 now? How about a renewal VF-0? Or a renewal YF-19? Because you're not getting any of those at any price anymore.

Have a VF-4, so no... unless MSRP were half what I paid for the G version, or the Dollar/Yen exchange rate were a lot more favorable than it is now. I have a VF-0S and a VF-0A Shin with the UCAV booster, so unless they were to produce a VF-0D I see no need to revisit the M-Zero mecha, on my part. And I have the Fold Booster equipped YF-19 so I can't see me needing a renewal of it unless it were a huge leap in desing/engineering/quality over what I have and it would need to be within what I consider to be a fair price, because I do not double dip. Therefore, from my point of view, not getting any of them, at any price, isn't an issue in the least.

I'm well aware that when it comes to the rarified high end toy market, price becomes a secondary consideration for many because quibling over $50 to $100 bucks becomes accademic in the greater scheme of things; but, for me, with very few exceptions (the aforementioned VF-4G for example) I draw the dividing line between "realistically priced" and "an insult to my intelligence" at the $200 range... with shipping if at all possible. Thus, a $170-180 VF-17S is nothing to sneeze at, but justifiable; a $280-300+ VF-17D is an easy pass.

Edited by mechaninac

Guys, guys, guys: want so see something scary? I mean really wet your pants SCARY?! Then scroll down:

Last change to turn back...

Really scary...

The Headless Valk!!

post-2996-0-80397700-1363831775_thumb.jpg

BOMBA!!!

post-2996-0-12528800-1363831799_thumb.jpg post-2996-0-85242500-1363831820_thumb.jpg

My last time being Yamatoed :( *sniff*.

But you can stop soiling your undergarments. It was my fault; not really a case of being Yamatoed (well, stupid overly tight neck swivel did help… but I was more stupid :angry: ). I missed a transformation step when going back to fighter mode and so did not move the neck piece before the plate that covers the face in plane mode. Didn’t apply any special force but moving the plate arm created enough leverage with the unmoving stiff neck and so, like Archimedes said: "Give me a place to

stand, and I shall move the Earth with it (or really frakk up your expensive transforming contraption)". In my case, headless valk.

Really like the 17/171 design but I guess they don’t like me. Guess I’ll go full customization with it now lol.

OUCH! that sux man. I still maintain that the 17's are the hardest Valks to transform because of the black hard to see plastic, that impossible effing leg swing around joint, and all the freakin pointy bits. :ph34r:

Edited by derex3592

... I still maintain that the 17's are the hardest Valks to transform because of the black hard to see plastic, that impossible effing leg swing around joint, and all the freakin pointy bits. :ph34r:

I'm about to find out for myself. I got a shipping notice from HKC for my last purchase, a VF-17S and a VF-19S; now the waiting begins...

Once I transformed a VF-17S in person, it dawned on me how similar the hip is to the VF-17. It's cool how the two hero valks from Mac 7 draw cues from each other in transformation, despite how radically different they look.

A neat way to round out anyone's Yamato collection. I'm glad I finally got around to picking one up. Also the only valk that's ever drawn blood.

Once I transformed a VF-17S in person, it dawned on me how similar the hip is to the VF-17. It's cool how the two hero valks from Mac 7 draw cues from each other in transformation, despite how radically different they look.

A neat way to round out anyone's Yamato collection. I'm glad I finally got around to picking one up. Also the only valk that's ever drawn blood.

yeeeess....have a bandade or two handy when tranforming it the first few times!!!!

Wow, the VF-17D has really shot up in price bad. I wanted this second only to the 19P but both aren't justifiable/affordable for me. I'll cross my fingers for lightly used if the madness ever ends.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased VF-17D with FAST-pack price-off 28,450 yen.

But nose-landing-gear,that's gear-bay front -door's hinge wrecked at the first time.

I tried to repair using the CCl2/Dichloromethylene-glue and brass-wire reinforced repair.

post-1627-0-55727100-1365560523_thumb.jpg

post-1627-0-23621200-1365560563_thumb.jpg

post-1627-0-06620300-1365560599_thumb.jpg

post-1627-0-68632000-1365560632_thumb.jpg

post-1627-0-37204300-1365561151_thumb.jpg

Edited by yui1107

I really want a 17D, but its way overpriced, damn scalpers, considering you can get the 17S for almost half the price.

You can get the 17S for half the price because it was a shelf-warmer. The D is overwhelmingly more popular. Most of the people on this very board said they were skipping the S in favor of the D.

buy a cheap 17S, replace your 17D part, install your fixed part on the 17S, then keep it in battroid mode.

Other than having to spend the extra money that's a really good idea, the S looks bad-ass in Battroid anyway.

I know, yet the 17D hasn't sold out as quickly as the VF-19F

People had problems with both the color and head for the 17S and 19S so that makes both the 17D and 19F the more popular to buy. On top of that the 17 isn't as popular a fighter as the 19 in general and the engineering on the 17 isn't as good as the 19 so that makes doubly more sense the F would sell before the D which would sell before either of the S models. Personally I'm no fan of the Yellow markings either but the S head on the 17 in Battroid really does look very cool.

Edited by Mommar

People had problems with both the color and head for the 17S and 19S so that makes both the 17D and 19F the more popular to buy. On top of that the 17 isn't as popular a fighter as the 19 in general and the engineering on the 17 isn't as good as the 19 so that makes doubly more sense the F would sell before the D which would sell before either of the S models. Personally I'm no fan of the Yellow markings either but the S head on the 17 in Battroid really does look very cool.

Really? Because the VF19S was at first, wildly more popular than the Kai, and the F model was sort of "meh" for lots of people. It's still around on some sites because nobody wanted it at full price.

The 19S has been reissued 3-4 times, that's why it's still so plentiful.

Really? Because the VF19S was at first, wildly more popular than the Kai, and the F model was sort of "meh" for lots of people. It's still around on some sites because nobody wanted it at full price.

The 19S has been reissued 3-4 times, that's why it's still so plentiful.

The Kai is divisive in it's own right for being an intense color and having a face on a Valk so the 19S was more popular because it was the same mold as the new VF-19 but not such an eyesore in the view of many. PLENTY of people on this board were waiting for the 19F because they weren't big fans of the five laser turret head and/or the Yellow markings. I wouldn't say the F was "meh" to a lot of people at all. And like the 17S the 19S has had the luxury of being available for a while and having it's price slashed. The F is still very new and hasn't been warming shelves long enough to warrant the clearance prices the two S models have received.

The F is unlikely to gain anymore production runs [stopped at 1, right?] and with the way Yamato\Arcadia is going on now, I don't think we'll see its prices slashed down anytime in the future. The F came out like...end August\end September, so it's got like half a year on its back already. Besides the YF19 looking head, it's sadly a glorified cannon fodder using a very expensive mould, hence it not moving around a bit. And from my understanding, the S models are almost always more popular than the common single turret models [VF1A, VF19F etc] unless a named pilot is manning the CF machine.

I like the 19S and 19F both alike, I guess a lot of people favor the 19F because is more in line with the YF-19 design.

It's hard to understand, how the 17S and 17D that are the same toy, same flawed engineering, base color, just a different head design and color stripes justifies a price more expensive than the more popular 19F. And of course, 60 dollars for 4 pieces of plastic (super packs) has always been a total rip off from my point of view.

But hell, that's Macross, tell it to all the VF-1's that are the same but different colors. My next purchase will probably be the 17D despite its price.

It is sad, but I think the reason both the 17D and 19F are still higher price is that they just came out so much later, and never got as many production runs. While I like both sets of markings on the 17, I have to admit I do prefer the D over the S, just because I'm not a huge fan of yellow markings.

Honestly, I love both the 19S and 19F, but I would have bought more F models if I could have, because I think the white stripes just look beautiful on it. And I'd agree to a point that the 5-laser head just looks a bit too busy.

What I really wish I could do now though.. get a couple more of the S, F and Fire Valk, and do some major valk-bashing to come up with M&M VF-19s. Give Max a VF-19F with the S head (the easy one to do), and mashup Millia a Kai with a 19S head, F shoulders, intake covers, and ankles.

Crap.. now I really want to photoshop that to see what it would look like.

Maybe it'd help make up for not having a Millia VF-17S though.. (and back on topic :p)

Edited by Chronocidal

Um...on this thing about prices, you people do realize that the VF19Kai, S and VF17S are HEAVILY discounted, right? All three had multiple production runs, probably in bigger volumes, and have been sitting on shelves for a while longer.

The 19F, P and the D variations of the 17 are just on their regular [or even slightly inflated] retail, nothing more, nothing less. With the latest boom in the market due to the panic about Yamato\Arcadia, retailers probably think they can get away with them being at those prices.

We've all had little windows to get the F and D at discounted prices [i stumbled across the 19F on HLJ's sale for, was it 16.000 yen?- and a VF17D bundle for 20.000 yen] but we thought they'd get cheaper than that as well. I even passed on cheap 17S because at the time I wanted a D. We all got burned on the waiting this time.

It is sad, but I think the reason both the 17D and 19F are still higher price is that they just came out so much later, and never got as many production runs. While I like both sets of markings on the 17, I have to admit I do prefer the D over the S, just because I'm not a huge fan of yellow markings.

Honestly, I love both the 19S and 19F, but I would have bought more F models if I could have, because I think the white stripes just look beautiful on it. And I'd agree to a point that the 5-laser head just looks a bit too busy.

What I really wish I could do now though.. get a couple more of the S, F and Fire Valk, and do some major valk-bashing to come up with M&M VF-19s. Give Max a VF-19F with the S head (the easy one to do), and mashup Millia a Kai with a 19S head, F shoulders, intake covers, and ankles.

Crap.. now I really want to photoshop that to see what it would look like.

Maybe it'd help make up for not having a Millia VF-17S though.. (and back on topic :p)

I want to see what you come up with too!