not bad not bad. One thing I do like about these designs is that your can tell their character from what they are wearing without loosing the tradtional look completely. decent design work.

Shredder on the other hand. Mask is ok, body is...what is that like a exo-suit?

No matter what this movie becomes,it surely cant be any worse then TMNT III.

not bad not bad. One thing I do like about these designs is that your can tell their character from what they are wearing without loosing the tradtional look completely. decent design work.

Shredder on the other hand. Mask is ok, body is...what is that like a exo-suit?

No matter what this movie becomes,it surely cant be any worse then TMNT III.

And nothing can ever take away the awesome darkness that was the first movie.

I thought the Shredder one was debunked as fan-art?

It does seem to match the toy descriptions from a few weeks ago. But production art to screen usually varies a bit.

http://news.toyark.com/2014/01/05/tmnt-2014-movie-toy-descriptions-110682

THE TURTLES

- Each turtle has the weapons they should have. (YAY!) 2 swords for Leo, a staff for Don, 2 sais for Raph, a pair of nunchucks and a three sectioned staff for Mikey.

- Each turtle looks LIKE A TURTLE and not alien…at all. (BIGGER YAY!) In fact the designs are quite traditional and unremarkable, and feature far less texture than the 90′s movie turtles. Eyes are fairly normal and not cartoonishly large. No beak along the nose area like some speculated. Three fingers and two toes.

- The sort of hunched over posture present in the actors in those leaked set pictures is present here.

- Amazingly, each character appeared to have a different physique with some (like Raphael and Leonardo) having super heroey muscle tone (though Raph appears more pumped up than Leo) and Donatello appearing slimmer..leaner. Michelangelo could possibly be slightly shorter than the rest.

- Each turtle’s mask matches the color from the cartoons.

SPLINTER

- Again, a very traditional design.

- Hair pulled up in a samurai..nub? Fu Manchu facial hair going on.

- His eyes seemed a little odd but I couldn’t make out what was going on there.

- Slightly tattered samurai outfit with a blue upper half with gold accents, tan lower belted robes and blocky sandals.

APRIL O’NEIL

- Nothing out of the ordinary here, especially since we saw her on set in her yellow jacket. Blue jeans, black boots up to her knees and a satchel across her chest.

- Worth noting the figure doesn’t much look like her.

- Comes with a camera and 2 sai knives.

THE SHREDDER

- This guy looks like he owns stock in the Ronco knife company! Pointy edges coming off of absolutely anything. He’ll be the stuff of ridicule for some time. Very overcomplicated outfit.

- Helmet is pseudo-traditional, adopting elements of the classic look (mostly the shape and key elements) with the top coming down over the eyes to the nose. Mouth area is recessed.

- Describing the rest of this armor is a nightmare. Suffice to say, even though he’s covered head to toe in metal armor or blades, his arms are still mostly bare. It’s a bit comical. He’s got the shoulder pieces with the blades coming off them, the shin armor with the blades coming off them, black armor areas to offset the steel parts and a cape that looks metal with blades coming down the side. I’d expect we’ll see him whip that around in battle.

FOOT SOLDIER

- No surprises here at all..just as drab as the goons in masks we saw on set.

- The figure designs are a bit more colorful with a brownish scarf, blue vest, black arms, tan pants, grey knee pads and black boots. They also seem to have made the mask more of a grey than the copper look we saw on set.

- The changes in colors and such lead me to wonder if they did that for the toy line just to bring something out for kids beyond a boring black outfit or has there been changes to the Foot Soldier’s look? Our bet is the former. Makes little sense to put out figures that don’t match the movie look, though….but it’s not like it hasn’t happened before.

A lot's been made about the "alien" turtles, but going back and reading through everything, it's actually kind of accurate. The turtles aren't aliens, but their origin is. IIRC, the ooze in the original Mirage comics (as well as the 2003 cartoon) was a product of a company that was a front for the Ultroms. If that's what Bay's going for, and Az's linked pics are accurate, this might not be as bad as I feared.

He has a skull as a face mask so he must be a badass. :D And Mikey has tribal tattoos on his shoulder so he must be uber-cool.

*sigh* why are Hollywood people so unimaginative.

On the other hand my 14 year old me would be all over this costume. ^_^

As a side note I really wished Figma or S.H.Figuarts would release a Shredder that looks like the one from the original TMNT television show.

Edited by Scyla

Maybe this is what they look like???

tmntnew.jpg

“Turtles in a loin cloth”? Haha, Looks like fundoshi, but I guess it’s supposed to be armour?

All kidding aside, some of the images look alright. I just hope they don’t have the turtles flying around doing wushu like they did with the unholy Star Wars trilogy. Mike having a 3 section staff is already got me raising my eyebrows.

Edited by peter

All kidding aside, some of the images look alright. I just hope they don’t have the turtles flying around doing wushu like they did with the unholy Star Wars trilogy. Mike having a 3 section staff is already got me raising my eyebrows.

But they're teenaged mutant NINJA turtles. To me that implies that they should be doing, you know, ninja type things.

As long as they take it back to original Eastman & Laird coolness, I'm okay with that.

I have a very emotive attachments to these little guys. When I was an early teen, the Turtles comics had just come out and I collected them as they were issued - not because I wanted to 'collect' them but because I just loved the story and artwork. These four guys could be called 'chaotic lawful' rather than traditionally heroic - usually their stories were about them just trying to survive, rather than be 'heroes'. This really attracted me.

About this time my father decided that comics were sinful and I came home after school once to find my entire collection torn up and burnt.

You can imagine how I felt.

I never really got into the TV show, but I have fond memories of the 4 player stand-up game, and wasn't too disappointed with the first movie, or the more recent 2007 movie, but I've got high hopes for this one. A bit of money behind it and we might get my favourite comic arc - when the turtles accidentally went to the Triceraton home world. That was quite a lot of fun, from memory...

They don't look too bad. I'll admit, I question any reference to "the original source material." I'm convinced they mean Dimension X, pizza & news reporters.

Sigh.

I loved the 4-person standup game! My pals & I would go to Villa Park, catch a movie, hit Gamer' Paradise, dinner @ Garibaldi's, then camp on that game at the arcade. Memories...

'Course if anyone else is looking for a trip down to the good old days, I hear there's a lot of 33 classic issues on eBay right now... ;)

But they're teenaged mutant NINJA turtles. To me that implies that they should be doing, you know, ninja type things.

Yeah, but ninjas practice ninjutsu. not wushu. Modern Ninjutsu involves using chakra to walk on water, create clones out of logs and summon giant talking animals :p breaking bones, dislocating joints and maiming--practical, vicious, and subtle. That said, it's not very impressive on screen without added elements of "flashier" martial arts.

This has been making it's way through an unnamed toy expo.

moreturt.jpg

Michaelangelo is a girl now!? Is shredder a klepto? Look at all those shiny metals and junks covering his body. That doesn't even look like an armor. :p

Edited by Moly_Sigang

Yeah, but ninjas practice ninjutsu. not wushu. Modern Ninjutsu involves using chakra to walk on water, create clones out of logs and summon giant talking animals :p breaking bones, dislocating joints and maiming--practical, vicious, and subtle. That said, it's not very impressive on screen without added elements of "flashier" martial arts.

Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if anyone was even going to know what wushu is. Haha, I should have said kung fu, and least most people can differentiate between that and karate (or can they?) I love it when people get Chinese martial arts mixed up with Japanese ones.

After studying wushu for 15 years, and iaido for 8, I totally agree that the flashy stuff draws the eye more than the subtle ones, especially in film. I've even heard some people in class (iaido) go as far as saying if it doesn't look boring, you're doing it wrong.

I always thought that to be a true Ninja you had to be a master of ALL the Martial arts, so you could go up against any opponents.

Picking the most useful bits of any art for the situation at hand.

It's a bit odd how they've borrowed some semblance of the original turtles so well and then add other parts that are... so bad. Mikey with the sweater/jeans would be okay, but the additional jewelry/bling looks bad/busy. Donnie with the head gear/equipment also makes sense, even the glasses and smaller frame. The Turtles did have bandana-like head bands at one point, so Raphs look makes sense for the most part, also since he's the psychotic "tough guy" the bulkier look/shades/bandana fits him too, kind of a biker style but the head-bandana also lends itself to the semi-Japanese look the rest of his armor exumes. Leo almost looks good but some of the additional armor he has on looks too busy or out of place. I guess because they're "teenagers" and it has to fit in with what all of the kids are doing these days they're all supposed to be blinged up but it's too much. They took the source, got it decently right in several cases, then fraked it up.

Edited by Mommar

I always thought that to be a true Ninja you had to be a master of ALL the Martial arts, so you could go up against any opponents.

Picking the most useful bits of any art for the situation at hand.

Ninja were covert operatives/agents or mercs in feudal Japan and they operated primarily during the period of the warring states (pre-Tokugawa). After the unification, ninja faded from history and into folklore and Chuck Norris movies. The wushu-style of martial arts you see in many films (and competitions/exhibitions) today were developed in China in 1949. The flashy stuff you see is generally changchuan, which hand't made it's way into Japan when ninja were active.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, we're talking about talking *ucking turtles from outer space for crissakes. Bay still has them as aliens right?

Edited by peter

Ninja were covert operatives/agents or mercs in feudal Japan and they operated primarily during the period of the warring states (pre-Tokugawa). After the unification, ninja faded from history and into folklore and Chuck Norris movies. The wushu-style of martial arts you see in many films (and competitions/exhibitions) today were developed in China in 1949. The flashy stuff you see is generally changchuan, which hand't made it's way into Japan when ninja were active.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, we're talking about talking *ucking turtles from outer space for crissakes. Bay still has them as aliens right?

They're not from outer space. But the mutagen that mutated them came from a space-faring race performing covert operations on Earth. Which is actually consistent with the comics.

• 1 month later...

So those leaked images of posters and what-not from the past Toy Expos were real, those indeed were the designs. Am not impressed, I can understand Donnie carrying some extra gear on him, but everyone else kind of looks like they just strapped and slapped a bunch of garbage to themselves, because sewers you know, and called it a day.

The tone of that trailer is beyond schizophrenic. Visually it looks like Nolan/Pfister, setting looks like self-serious action movie and then dialog/character is going for Joss Whedon's Avengers. Combined result is terrible. The clashing tone could just be the trailer, but TMNT doesn't work with dark/gritty/realistic. It has to be fun/comedy/cheesy to work. This trailer has tone of the characters at a complete 180 to the tone of the setting and story. Steaming pile of pants.

I thought they weren't mutants anymore? Weren't they supposed to be aliens or something? Or have I just been out of the loop on this?

In the original comics the characters were mutants but the ooze was actually a substance created by Aliens. So kinda both there. This could borrow a little bit from that as well.

This white scientist guy being shredder makes no damn sense. And why are they so f**king tall?