I just found a 4 pack of the other TMNT movies the other day for about $10 and had to pick it up for nostalgia purposes... and some odd sense of justice by spending money on something other than something new. ^_^

The first live action film is surprisingly very, very good. The second is cheesy, the third starts off decent then gets very painful at times, and finally the fourth(cgi one) is good mindless fun more connected to the newer cartoon than the other films.

The first live action film is surprisingly very, very good. The second is cheesy, the third starts off decent then gets very painful at times, and finally the fourth(cgi one) is good mindless fun more connected to the newer cartoon than the other films.

Agreed, the kids like it though

It amazes me that there are so many MB butt-kissers on that forum........haha, i'm beginning to think they're just his staff, friends and family the way they mindlessly eat up every word from that crack-head who loves himself too much. He's like the James T Kirk of directors.

Except James Tiberius Kirk was the man. He could back his actions up with quality results, and wasn't afraid of advice.

Bay is likable and very earnest, but he's got an ego an AU wide and no sense of quality writing or story pacing.

Except James Tiberius Kirk was the man. He could back his actions up with quality results, and wasn't afraid of advice.

Bay is likable and very earnest, but he's got an ego an AU wide and no sense of quality writing or story pacing.

No truer words about Micheal Bay have ever been spoken than these sentences.

Edited by GU-11

I'd still like to see a decent adaptation of the original graphic novel that wasn't aimed at kids. Think R-rating, psychopathic Raphael, etc.

I'd still like to see a decent adaptation of the original graphic novel that wasn't aimed at kids. Think R-rating, psychopathic Raphael, etc.

Try psychopathic beer swilling Raphael.

If you want to get aquainted (sp.?; my spellcheck program is giving me sh*t) with the original Eastman and Laird turtles, and you don't want to pay an arm and a leg, Palladium's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness isn't a bad place to start; that's if you can stomach Siembieda's gaming system. It has in it a lot of artwork from I think Long; Eastman, and Laird, as well as a mini comic from the original duo.

Bay is definately not a Francis Ford Coppola. That man actually had book reading sessions with the cast and crew when he made "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

f*ck Francis Ford Coppola, he is by far the most overated director in the entire film industry.

I don't know... I've only seen five of his movies (the three Godfather films, Tucker, and Dracula, and I liked all but The Godfather Part III. That's more than I can say for a lot of other directors.

• 2 months later...

Paramount Shuts Down 'Ninja Turtles' Reboot; Release Date Pushed (Exclusive) (Hollywood Reporter)

Paramount Pictures has shut down a planned reboot of the Ninja Turtles franchise, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. The effects-heavy film, which was in preproduction in Vancouver, was set for release in December 2013. That date is being pushed to May 2014, according to sources....(more)

Really? Ya sure the problem is with the script???

Yeah i know that. Eastman (or was it Laird) even said he didn't care for the surfer/pizza direction they went with.

Mainly poking at the fans who feel the 80's series is the definite source.

Well, the 80's cartoon it is not “the source” but it is the real source of the TMNT explosion of the time and the reason for the legion of turtles fans in the first place. The original comic was an indy parody of the Frank Miller-esque style of writing at the time full of mutants, teenagers, grittiness and ninjas (they even jokingly tie Daredevil’s origin in the first issue).

The fan following that the indy comic got was still jack zero when compared to the real world. Playmates got the licence when then they were a small toy company and the turtles were a cheap comicbook licence. They did the kid friendly cartoon that pretty much changed everything other than the names to push their figures. It REALLY took off and now we know them thanks to that, surfer pizzas and all.

Edited by Twoducks

They did the kid friendly cartoon that pretty much changed everything other than the names to push their figures. It REALLY took off and now we know them thanks to that, surfer pizzas and all.

It's true that I first learned about them via the cartoon.

However, I rediscovered them (or the original, cool, hard, graphic awesomeness that the original comics are) via the RPG. It didn't hurt that Palladium got Eastman and Liard to do the art. Should I even mention that the RPG came out before the cartoon and subsequent boom it spawned?

Well, the 80's cartoon it is not “the source” but it is the real source of the TMNT explosion of the time and the reason for the legion of turtles fans in the first place. The original comic was an indy parody of the Frank Miller-esque style of writing at the time full of mutants, teenagers, grittiness and ninjas (they even jokingly tie Daredevil’s origin in the first issue).

The fan following that the indy comic got was still jack zero when compared to the real world. Playmates got the licence when then they were a small toy company and the turtles were a cheap comicbook licence. They did the kid friendly cartoon that pretty much changed everything other than the names to push their figures. It REALLY took off and now we know them thanks to that, surfer pizzas and all.

Not totally dissimilar to Robotech/Macross. Macross being a partial parody of super robot anime shows of the time, and then finding more exposure around the world after a dumbed down rebranding.

And I agree with others about Eastman and Laird's original rendition. Even as a young kid, that was the version I wanted more of. Not the bullshit version where they were all different color mask wearing pizza obsessed surfer douche bags fighting robot ninjas. But I watched the shows anyway and ate the crap that I was spoon-fed, because some Ninja Turtles were better than no Ninja Turtles.

• 2 months later...

And the hits just keep on coming. Apparently the script for the reboot (which was the reason Paramount shutdown this project) was leaked (and a C&D from Paramount came a few days later).

The details can be found in the links:

EXCLUSIVE: Review Of Bay’s Failed ‘Ninja Turtles’ (Now With Bay’s Response) (Latino Review)

TMNT not TANT (original poster of the leaked script)

Peter Laird's comments from his blog

Edited by azrael
Link updated

haha! Ninja Turtles fans know their property – we know it’s pretty stupid sometimes. I’m one of those people who thinks ‘TMNT’ was a pretty good movie – there were the Turtles acting like we wanted them too, we got the Raph-is-superhero story line that worked well. Sure, there were some wierd monsters, but Patrick Stewart was the villain, so – come on! If nothing, the Turtles need to be fun, and when ‘The Blue Door’ is fun, it works. It’s when it decides to take the majority of the end of it’s 2nd act in flashback that negates everything that came before it…that’s the crappy part. What can we do? Spread the word. Tell your friends: Michael Bay almost made a crappy Turtles movie and we managed to stop him by being pissy. Yeah, that might not be exactly what happened, but I do know that the new script is being worked on now and the best way to keep a inter-dimensional/alien plot out of the new movie is to be VERY. VOCAL. About how much this sucks

Fans = 1

MB = 0

Edited by peter

And the hits just keep on coming. Apparently the script for the reboot (which was the reason Paramount shutdown this project) was leaked (and a C&D from Paramount came a few days later).

The details can be found in the links:

EXCLUSIVE: Review Of Bay’s Failed ‘Ninja Turtles’ (Latino Review)

TMNT not TANT (original poster of the leaked script)

Peter Laird's comments from his blog

Apparently Paramount has moved in and ordered it to be taken down.

Apparently Paramount has moved in and ordered it to be taken down.

Link updated. Apparently, Michael Bay has now chimed in on the leaked script-news.

...This is tired old news -- Wait for the movie!

-Michael