Though I knew this movie would be big, I wasn't expecting The Avengers to bring in this kind of business :blink:

http://www.slashfilm...ss/#more-126572

‘The Avengers’ Breaks All-Time Domestic Box Office Opening Weekend Gross

Take a seat Harry Potter. Step back Batman. Put away that arrow Katniss. There’s a new king of the box office world and it’s a throne shared by several superheroes. Early reports say Joss Whedon‘s The Avengers will end the weekend grossing $200.3 million, setting the all-time opening weekend domestic box office record by a large margin. It crushed the previous record held by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 by almost $30 million thanks in part to the second biggest Friday gross of all time (behind Potter) and the biggest Saturday gross of all time. The film is the fastest to ever reach $200 million and has made almost $650 million internationally in its first 12 days of release.

I wasn't meaning to imply the movies were comic mirrors, but if you read the comics all or in part, the movies not only make a lot more sense but also don't get attacked for following the formula.

I wasn't meaning to imply the movies were comic mirrors, but if you read the comics all or in part, the movies not only make a lot more sense but also don't get attacked for following the formula.

Without a doubt, comics readers will appreciate these movies in a different way, although I don't think comic knowledge is all that necessary to make "sense" of the movies per se. I think being a reader affects your perspective and where your suspension of disbelief draws the line.

For example, I've heard more than one person, none of whom are comic readers, comment on Cap boosting Widow and the aerobatics that ensued as affronting their credulity, while comic readers take that sorta over-the-top action as par for the course.

I've also heard a lot of comments about Iron Man 2 and Thor faulting them for having too much material that was lead-in to Avengers. On the flip side, most comics readers I know are so used to having all their heroes in the same universe that those ties were considered positives, it being previously unheard of for one superhero movie to even remotely acknowledge the comic universe it came from. No one in a Batman movie mentions Lexcorp, or refers to Gotham in a Superman movie. To finally have even one superhero movie, let alone 6 and counting, that acknowledges and even cross-references another is an exciting and new development.

Edited by Penguin

To finally have even one superhero movie, let alone 6 and counting, that acknowledges and even cross-reference another is an exciting and new development.

I got blown away when they started doing this in fighting games and I'm loving the movie franchise cross-overs...

I'm kind of surprised if only because I went to a 9 pm showing on Friday night and it wasn't even a full house.

Not sure about Friday, but I know that on Saturday there wasn't a lot of traffic in the movie theater that I was in. Why? Sinco de Mayo! I heard that most people were already too drunk or passed out to go to the movies, which suits me just fine anyway. Actually, friends who work at bars/restaurants were telling me that people were already getting wasted Friday night for the "Sinco" weekend...

Edited by myk

The movie was amazing!

From start to finish it was pure awesome, win, epic, +1, whatever internet lingo you want to use!

There was so much to absorb that a second showing is in the cards for this week.

Back when I collected comics I’ll admit I was more X-Men/Wolverine than Avengers. Still you learn enough about super hero lore if you read enough comics, which in my case was true.

HELICARRIER!

I was amazed at how well the actors played together, almost as if the previous movies had already brought them together. No time was wasted with character story. Well maybe Black Widow and Hawkeye got the air time they needed, and who’s gonna complain about seeing more Scarlett? Those two were great and I hope we can see them get their own movie, or at least an animated feature to tie in their backgrounds.

Loki was spectacular! Very well played and true to his comic persona. I was also pleased with Samuel L Jackson’s Nick Fury. Anyone can pull a two minute cameo, but having more screen time made me see he was the right choice to play Fury.

HELICARRIER!

The sfx weren’t overwhelming, even during the last battle. Some of the camera shots looked like they were straight out of the comics.

I’ll have to say, Hulk stole the show throughout the movie. Downey Jr. was born to play Stark…Bring on Iron Man 3!

So onto the big reveal after the cast credits

…Thanos…

Avengers 2 will be epic…sadly we probably won’t see the Infinity Gauntlet, at least not on the level of the comics.

X-Men, Wolverine, Spiderman, Fantastic 4, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Punisher, Daredevil & Ghost Rider, all owned by other movie corps…don’t see any team ups happening there.

Guess we’ll see…The Cosmic Cube could be tied into the tesseract, so there is a base for a truly cosmic event…

For example, I've heard more than one person, none of whom are comic readers, comment on Cap boosting Widow and the aerobatics that ensued as affronting their credulity, while comic readers take that sorta over-the-top action as par for the course.

So none of these people have seen a Cheerleader/Chinese/other acrobatic performance? Couple that with two humans boosted to the height of physical fitness/prowess and it's not a very large stretch of the imagination.

So none of these people have seen a Cheerleader/Chinese/other acrobatic performance? Couple that with two humans boosted to the height of physical fitness/prowess and it's not a very large stretch of the imagination.

Not that the scene really bothered me but the thing she grabbed on to was going like 100mph. Woulda ripped a non super humans arm/hand/finger whatever right off. Thats of course if you could grab on and hold it. of course if you did grab a hold of something metal going that speed you would have to be superhuman...... oh never mind

Not that the scene really bothered me but the thing she grabbed on to was going like 100mph. Woulda ripped a non super humans arm/hand/finger whatever right off. Thats of course if you could grab on and hold it. of course if you did grab a hold of something metal going that speed you would have to be superhuman...... oh never mind

The part where she grabbed on I agree was too much. The boosting/flipping/whatever prior to it I don't have an issue with.

Meh, how many times have you seen batman, bond, or other normal human hold onto a ledge with one hand and catch someone in free fall with one hand? Action movies have been playing fast and loose with physics since the beginning.

So onto the big reveal after the cast credits

…Thanos…

*best Ozzy Osbourne voice* 'ew the fu*k is T****s?!

"...Avengers breaks all-time domestic box office opening weekend grosss...blah blah, yadda yadda..." Yeah, but are those figures adjusted for inflation? When I hear people talk about "...paid $45 for 3 tickets" and the like, I think: fu*k me, you're mad, man!

I just think that's potentially misleading, giving only gross sales figures to measure a film's success. Does that necessarily = more butts in seats [theaters] than previous films, when the avg ticket price approaches 2 - 3 times more than earlier record busters? :huh:

Edited by reddsun1

*best Ozzy Osbourne voice* 'ew the fu*k is T****s?!

"...Avengers breaks all-time domestic box office opening weekend grosss...blah blah, yadda yadda..." Yeah, but are those figures adjusted for inflation? When I hear people talk about "...paid $45 for 3 tickets" and the like, I think: fu*k me, you're mad, man!

I just think that's potentially misleading, giving only gross sales figures to measure a film's success. Does that necessarily = more butts in seats [theaters] than previous films, when the avg ticket price approaches 2 - 3 times more than earlier record busters? :huh:

I agree. I already pointed out that at 9pm on opening night we didn't even have a full house.

Can I just say (you guys who like Scarlett can keep on if you like) that Cobie Smulders looked SMOKIN' in this film. Who knew a black jump suit and pony tail could make her look that damn good.

Can I just say (you guys who like Scarlett can keep on if you like) that Cobie Smulders looked SMOKIN' in this film. Who knew a black jump suit and pony tail could make her look that damn good.

Agreed. I actualy though didn't like Scarlets hairstyle in this film.

I actually found Scarlet to be the weakest as far as acting the part, everyone else exceeded my expectation, especially Mark Ruffalo who i had great doubts for when i heard the casting. I watched it over the weekend, but i'm taking my kids to go see it on Wednesday, i'm sure they'll be just as happy with it as i was. I'm going to do the "Cool Dad" thing and take my son out of school a little early by writing him a note that says "He has to see Dr Banner today, he doesn't like it when we're late and you wouldn't like to see him when he's angry".

Can I just say (you guys who like Scarlett can keep on if you like) that Cobie Smulders looked SMOKIN' in this film.

Who?

If you mean the actress who played Maria Hill, I know her only as Robin Scherbatsky. Or occasionally Robin Sparkles.

Agreed. I actualy though didn't like Scarlets hairstyle in this film.

WAITAMINUTE!! SHE ACTUALLY HAD HAIR? I never got past her "painted on" uniform!!! No wonder Samuel L. Jackson said his favorite superhero was Black Widow!!! All in all, the Avengers was awesome from start to finish. I had no complains at all; except I forgot about waiting until after the credits!!!!!

WAITAMINUTE!! SHE ACTUALLY HAD HAIR? I never got past her "painted on" uniform!!! No wonder Samuel L. Jackson said his favorite superhero was Black Widow!!!

Well...about that...Ms. Johansson wasn't wearing much under that snug costume, compared to the guys at least. So yes, you could say it was "painted on".

Agent Hill was very distracting. I normally hate, hate, HATE short haircuts on beautiful women but everything else about Cobie was so awesome that it didn't matter. For the first time I can recall in a very long time I'm looking towards the day I can bring a movie home and let it run continuously...

I saw it Thursday Night/Friday Morning, my only complaint is about a big plot hole. I mean

How could they use his tower to set up camp and create the portal WITHOUT him knowing?

It bothers me a little but, other than that, I thought it was great.

I saw it Thursday Night/Friday Morning, my only complaint is about a big plot hole. I mean

How could they use his tower to set up camp and create the portal WITHOUT him knowing?

Well he realized it once he got to thinking about things; they were quite occupied on that flying boat. Also,

one moment that I just thought about and enjoyed was when Tony Stark lands on his place for a showdown with Loki, but his armor's trashed and he's waiting for Jarvis to prepare replacement armor; Tony has to face off with Loki with no powers or hope of super-hero back up, and by the look on his face you can tell that this is one of the few times in Tony Stark's life where he's genuinely.....concerned about his chances. Good stuff, I tell ya...

Edited by myk

They already showed that SHIELD can over ride Jarvis anytime they feel like it, and Loki turned several SHIELD agents, so it's not much of a stretch

They already showed that SHIELD can over ride Jarvis anytime they feel like it, and Loki turned several SHIELD agents, so it's not much of a stretch

Oh I see, you're thinking that Jarvis wasn't "allowed" to do what he had

to by warning Tony...

Edited by myk

Oh I see, you're thinking that Jarvis wasn't "allowed" to do what he had

to by warning Tony...

In Iron Man, they show Jarvis on the fritz and Fury in Stark's mansion. Stark had no warning. In Avengers, Coulson was already in the elevator by the time Jarvis warned Stark that he was being over ridden. I think the movies have been pretty clear in showing that Stark's security is pretty porous when it comes to SHIELD.

Well, that's just great. I found out that non-US markets don't have the ending after the ending credits.

Speaking of which, a shawarma sounds about perfect for dinner tonight...

I thought there was only something shown mid-credits, not at the end of the credits?

Here in Hong Kong, we had the mid-credit sequence.

Graham

I thought there was only something shown mid-credits, not at the end of the credits?

Here in Hong Kong, we had the mid-credit sequence.

Graham

Everyone goes out for a victory meal of Shawarma, I get the impression that no one was terribly impressed with it :)

I picked up the 3.75" Shield Launcher Captain America figure today, and compared to the figures from the Iron Man 2 and Thor lines, the Avengers figures are disappointing. Hasbro decided to cut corners by removing articulation on the wrists, chest and ankles, resulting in less-inspiring poses. At least the paint job is decent.

Here's a quick snapshot of Cap with 7.5" Hulk, Sword Strike Thor (from the Thor toy line) and Iron Man Mark VI (from the Iron Man 2 toy line):

figures01.jpg