HI METAL LOVE THREAD

VFTF1

I'll try to make some time tomorrow to take a few pics of my 1J Hikaru and Max's for you.

Thanks! It's a shame that these guys were a bit on the pricy side, would have been great to build fleets with these.

I still keep all my regular release Hi-Metal's in their respective boxes, kind of sad that Bandai silently kill the line. I know the VF19 Kai is just damn awful in term of accessories ... I really want to buy all the exclusive accessories, but the price is just ridiculous. The VF19S kind of remedy the situation a bit and the VF1s are actually okay. If only Bandai would've carefully implement the VF1 accessories design to the VF19, I'm pretty sure it will be received much better.

The key point why I love the Hi-Metals is the size, it's just perfect on hand and on display. For a small home owner myself, smaller scale collectibles are a must, the cheaper price also much appreciated but more of a bonus than feature. I have Yamato YF22 and VF22, but don't have any space to display the gargantuan oddity, tried to fit with all my mecha collection in battroid mode... Well... Let's just say it's futile.

So yeah, if Bandai restarts the Hi-Metals, I will buy them in drones to show some support. I got my VF1 Hikaru for a bit over US$50, thanks to close proximity to Japan, so bulk buying is not a problem for me.

Thanks! It's a shame that these guys were a bit on the pricy side, would have been great to build fleets with these.

Sorry, I couldn't get pictures taken. I injured my back Friday morning and it's been a long fun weekend alternating between twenty minutes laying on ice and twenty minutes standing completely straight.

Sorry, I couldn't get pictures taken. I injured my back Friday morning and it's been a long fun weekend alternating between twenty minutes laying on ice and twenty minutes standing completely straight.

Ouch! Hope you get better soon! Also, I've got a question for you owners out there. Do you think that these Hi-metal VF-1's are more or less posable than that of the Yamato v.2's? And are the pilots removable?

Ouch! Hope you get better soon! Also, I've got a question for you owners out there. Do you think that these Hi-metal VF-1's are more or less posable than that of the Yamato v.2's? And are the pilots removable?

The Hi-Metals in Battroid are easily more pose-able then the V2's are. The V2 hips alone are geriatric (like my horrible, horrible back) by comparison.

Thanks for the responses guys, but I'm kind of dissappointed. I was hoping to pick one of these up (for prices cheaper than your average v.2 Yamato) but I can find Yamato V.2 VF-1's for cheaper than these guys, which makes buying one kind of pointless...

The Hi-Metals in Battroid are easily more pose-able then the V2's are. The V2 hips alone are geriatric (like my horrible, horrible back) by comparison.

Agreed. The V2's lack of give in the hips is a major downer in an otherwise pretty good toy.

I also feel that the Hi-Metal's shoulder transformation system is much better (and accurate to the show, for those who care) than the brittle and loose (as in, they don't lock anywhere) hinges on the V2.

Together with the Toynami Regult, the VF-1S is probably my favorite Macross toy. Still holding on to the hope that the Hi-Metal YF-21 and YF-19 will get released someday...

To my great surprise, I noticed that HLJ actually has the VF-1S back in stock in case anyone is interested: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN961438

001hp.jpg

Edited by Keiichi

Aside from the often mentioned things we love in the Hi-metal 1/100s VF1s, one point really stood out for me; I personally like the fact that Bandai's result belittles Yamato's repeated attempts to make a perfect VF1 valkyrie. Just take a look at how Bandai's shoulders transform, gives you an idea what a bunch of lazy bums the Yamato guys are; no matter how we often like to think of them (Yamato) as the only company that pushes the envelope for Macross. Yamato took too many years and attempts and yet in the end, it is the fans who clean up their mess in the version 2's shoulder problem. Bandai only took what, one attempt with no breakages resulting from poor material choice or just bad design. Bandai's parts swapping hate and all I can understand, but it's not like Yamato's landing gears and heatshield are going to deploy themselves. Only thing is, Bandai are probably kicking themselves for coming into the market late, now that it's saturated with subpar Yamato valks. Or maybe it's not entirely for profit but to remind us all the perfect VF1 could be made, if not for Gundam. :D

It’s obvious that you love the Hi-Metals as many of us do; but you can´t be so naïf as to think Bandai made a perfect VF-1 out of nothing. Do you really think Bandai didn’t take a Yamato v.2 to see what’s ok and what’s not and concentrate in what could be improved?

Anyway, I would not go so far as to define the Yamato valks as subpar.

Edited by Reïvaj

Actually, it is quite obvious Bandai made a better valk toy not only because they are more experienced, but they know it is a toy they want collectors to keep so issues like breakages are prevented thru design and material choices long before they are mass manufactured. I don't see how being able to appreciate that as naive. As far as subpar quality goes, a small drop of piss in the drinking water however little is still too much.

Actually, it is quite obvious Bandai made a better valk toy not only because they are more experienced, but they know it is a toy they want collectors to keep so issues like breakages are prevented thru design and material choices long before they are mass manufactured. I don't see how being able to appreciate that as naive. As far as subpar quality goes, a small drop of piss in the drinking water however little is still too much.

Yeah...I couldn't disagree more with most of your views here but this isn't the thread to argue back and forth about things people have gone on about ad nauseam. Let's just agree to disagree...

In any case, that VF-1S on HLJ sold out quick once the link was posted. I was just about to get a second one for posterity too :(

I love me some Roy schemed Valks

Wow, somebody has got an axe to grind. The Hi-Metal is no more or less flawed then a v2. It's got it's ups and it's got it's downs. A big one in my estimation is that the Yammie looks good in all three modes. I do not believe the Fighter or Gerwalk (anemic as far as pose-ability is concerned) are any good on the Hi-Metal, the wings are weird and floppy too and the missiles don't hold on nearly as well. Battroid mode is easier to pose and the shoulders are a good design on the hi-metal (plus the hip implementation is cool though I question how well it would work in a larger scale) but the feet on those little metal ball rotators can become EXTREMELY loose (my Hikaru hangs on by a thread.) I COULD put nail polish on it but then... that's a fan fix, like the shoulders (of which I have had zero break, even on my original Hikaru DYRL VF-1A) so that's not perfect. They're both good in different ways. I tend to pose and repose the hi-metals in battroid more. I actually have Yammies in Fighter and Gerwalk.

Like whichever one you like but be realistic about the pros and cons.

Dudes, I was only talking about the Bandai's VF1's shoulders and how it's not breaking. No need for the teeth gnashing and telling me how the Yamato measures up in other ways... we all KNOW how good they are and how it must look like cheating that Bandai effortlessly corrected their mistake. Hehehe!

Btw VF5SS, if you are talking about Bandai's 1/65s M7 valks, IIRC, they came out about the same time if not earlier than the Yamato's 1/72 Macplus valks. And by copying design, I think you meant Yamato's Billy Wong copying and modifying SHE's valks right? Oh but he fvcked-up the design ala the Tab-B along with part fitting issues. The original SHE kits transformed smoother by comparison. Oh and, SHE is like a consultant, funded by Bandai. Hahaha!

Ah, you wished you have gotten that last batch in HLJ. Yamato wished they have made their valks as good as the Bandai's. You'll get over it. :D

Same old song and dance then?

Moving along...

I got the Kai instead. I already have the 19s and I like it in fighter mode. I'm sure I'll feel the same with the Kai despite disliking the color scheme and head design. I like these smaller 19's in fighter mode only. I prefer battroid mode for the Bandai VF-1's.

Edited by xrentonx

I agree. Don't judge the rest of us based on a few guys who use a lot of hyperbole in their posts. I think a lot of us are tired of the same few guys posting the same Yamato/Bandai-warrioring bullshi-t every time these threads pop up. It's no longer clever nor is it interesting to read through.

Edited by xrentonx

Indeed. You can like both, no problem with that. We all have our opinions on what's good and what isn't and going on a crusade about it is ridiculous. I prefer Hi-Metal over Yamato without exception, but it's not like Yamato makes bad toys or people are stupid for liking them or preferring them. It'd be cool if we can keep a thread about liking VFHM without getting into bashing of other lines.