HI METAL LOVE THREAD

VFTF1

Just got my Hi-Metal VF-19s.

After all the reviews online, I was expecting it to be a subpar toy, but after opening it I must say that I was pleasantly surprised!

It comes with a stand, it's got great articulation, the joints are all nice and tight and hold poses very well, and you can even get it to do about as "perfect" a transformation as the old 1/65 VF19 if you leave the hands in.

I think the only real negative for me is the fact that the gun can't mount in fighter mode.

Lots of fun and it satiated my VF19s cravings (for now, at least) at 1/4 the price of a 1/60 version.

I missed out the Hi-Metal. Looking at it now, they do have the best side profile in jet mode and the super articulation in battroid mode is a plus. Agreed that the price is way too high for such a small toy that has not all the bell and whistle attached to it. I saw one 1J Hikaru on Mandrake, selling at the same price of the 1/48 1J Hikaru. Needless to say, I pick the 1/48. If the price could hover around 5000 to 6000 yen, I would consider.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my first Hi-Metal. The VF-1J Hikaru is really small. But given the scale, Bandai had done a great job. I realize the box description outside are all in English, may be Bandai intended this will sell well in overseas? Unfortunately they did not release the VF-1D. I guess that will sell better than other VF-1s.

I transformed my Hi-Metal VF-1S and Yamato VF-1S Strike a couple of days ago. The Yamato looks nicer in a lot of ways, but I find that the Hi-Metal is more fun to transform.

The small size and lighter weight also allows for more interesting posing on a stand.

The Yamato valks are great, but I find that that the Hi-Metal battroid mode is just a bit better. Better articulation in the hips and feet let you get some more extreme poses. And the head is properly positioned relative to the chest -- no priest collar like in the Yamato.

Hmm, now I kind of want to get myself a himetal VF1, but I'm a bit worried about QC issues.

Is there any variant that should be avoided, or is there any variant that is known to have spectacular QC? (Like how the 1/60 VF25A is top-class in terms of QC, while the earlier ones are loose in general)

(Or is it basically a crap shoot for whatever model I get?)

I'm trying to decide between getting a Max 1J, Hikaru 1J and a Max 1A.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by BlueSkull

Hmm, now I kind of want to get myself a himetal VF1, but I'm a bit worried about QC issues.

Is there any variant that should be avoided, or is there any variant that is known to have spectacular QC? (Like how the 1/60 VF25A is top-class in terms of QC, while the earlier ones are loose in general)

Thanks in advance!

I have a Hikaru 1J and a Max 1J and both of them were fine. I did accidentally damage the transformation mechanism in the leg of my Max 1J but that was my fault for jamming the foot in too tight on accident and having to force it back out after the fact.

Thanks in advance!

I have 2 Hi-Metal VF-1s. Both are them have no issues.

Hi-Metal VF-1s were not a QC riddled line. The bigger issue is lack of availability and what is available is waaaay overpriced. Judging from what I see on Ebay that is. Prices might be better at Mandarake or Yahoo Japan.

Edited by Vifam7

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. :) Guess I'll be pulling the trigger then.

Awesome, a new convert, muwahaha. Seriously though, I hope you enjoy. I have the Max 1A and 1J (and am expecting a Hikaru 1J soon) of your choices, as well as the rest of Skull Squadron ant the VF-19S. I haven't had issues with any of them, and I've transformed them all quite a bit now. If you like the aesthetics of them, I think you'll be pleased.

dscn5612.jpg

You still could get it from Mandrake at a cheaper price than ebay. I was surprising pleased to find out the fighter mode is very nice and regretted not having it when first launched

VF-1J Max: http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1213131.html

So that's a good price for it?

That's around how much it goes for around here. (Stores still have it in stock)

I am really tempted to buy a second hand VF-1 1/100 but considering it would not be both mint and new and also the overprice I am wishing a soon re-issue from Bandai. Does anybody know if a re-issue could happen soon or tell me should I buy now? or maybe I should wait for the re-issue. What is your feeling guys??

Thanks beforehand for your advice...

The line appears dead and a reissue unlikely.

Sad but true. The line has *been* dead for a while with absolutely no read on any kind of reissue or continuation. Unless they decide to ressurrect the line for some reason later (which I wouldn't hold my breath for, but it has happened with other toy lines before I suppose), grab what you can find as you find them if you want any VF Hi-Metals.

Well I think Bandai should use their recent 1/72 kit line molds to upgrade this forgotten 1/100 line or rather use the same 1/72 scale molds to launch a new Valkyrie line, this time not a model kit but a fully pre-built toy capable to reach 3 modes perfect transformation. I have seen images of 1/72 valks details and they are really nice, of course you have to forget the real mess the construction of the model is and the fragile they are at this moment, but if they figure the way to bring them perfectly pre-assembled to market, they would become a real threat for Arcadian Valks. What do you think??

Well I think Bandai should use their recent 1/72 kit line molds to upgrade this forgotten 1/100 line or rather use the same 1/72 scale molds to launch a new Valkyrie line, this time not a model kit but a fully pre-built toy capable to reach 3 modes perfect transformation. I have seen images of 1/72 valks details and they are really nice, of course you have to forget the real mess the construction of the model is and the fragile they are at this moment, but if they figure the way to bring them perfectly pre-assembled to market, they would become a real threat for Arcadian Valks. What do you think??

RE: the new 1/72 kits, I find the head (at least for the S) to be excessively ginormous. Once you notice it, you can't unsee it.

Actually it should be the other way around. Take the Hi-Metal and scale it up to 1/72 scale and release it in kit form. The Hi-Metal has excellent proportions and is solid. It's construction is relatively simple too. Bandai would have no problems making it into a kit.

The design of the 1/72 kit has quite a few fundamental flaws which put many, even die-hard fans, off. The worst, IMHO, would be the infamous "hold my pee" pose due to the oddly designed hip-thigh swing joint. Just that one is enough to stop me from buying any of them, even with discount.

For the Hi-metal line, I have one VF-1S, (with a minor QC flaw: a left knee cap for the right knee so the right knee and thigh will not flush in fighter mode ) I find the hip joint a bit too wide so the legs are too much apart in all modes, and the jolly roger marking is too high up the heatshield so it emphasised the excessively long lower torso. other that those, the rests are as good as other Bandai 13cm robot figures, fun to play with but not really meticulous with details.

The way the shoulder unfold in the High-Metal is definately better then the 1/60 though.

Edited by alchemo

What do I think? That this thread is to show some 1/100 Hi Metal love -_-:p

Well.The question is .What Could we do as fans to make Bandai see the "love" and expectation we all have to get 1/100 Hi metal back in Market?.and..Why not with some improvement?...It´s been a long time, our prayers have not been heard.specially from those who did not have the chance to purchase one..We all love the line, that´s the fact..but Is there a way to make Bandai realize it??..to make it happen would be the gratest proof of fans love..I guess..

Tried contacting bandai directly?

They don't read forums more true for non-japanese ones.

Bandai no longer has a US division as they got a distribution agreement with Mattel now.

Also Macross is not their property like gundam, etc.

Edited by CrazyDude

That's something I've wondered for a while now. Is there really anything to do as fans to convince a giant like Bandai that a smaller line is worth continuing? Maybe as a web exclusive line if that'd get us more VFs. It seems like it's out of our hands entirely since Bandai doesn't really care what non-Japanese markets thing since we're just a periphery demographic.