Kawamori's pet AKB project-first footage!

Tochiro

"Won't you make a baby with me? On the net!"

EDIT: Or as Renato said a few months ago, "Thank you for ruining my life with that AKB ad."

Jaw on floor. Need shovel to lift it back up.

I second Renato. That CM's wrong on oh so many levels.

Gimmie missiles & robots for no apparent reason!

Perhaps the title of this series should be Akiba Macross 48. :p

Let me put it this way...if Lady Gaga were making a movie, and Joss Whedon were involved, and (knowing Joss Whedon) he threw some Firefly references into the movie...

...and if you were a promoter, trying to sell as many tickets as possible, would you say, "It's a Firefly movie!" or would you say, "It's a LADY GAGA movie!"...?

Edited by Gubaba

Let me put it this way...if Lady Gaga were making a movie, and Joss Whedon were involved, and (knowing Joss Whedon) he threw some Firefly references into the movie...

...and if you were a promoter, trying to sell as many tickets as possible, would you say, "It's a Firefly movie!" or would you say, "It's a LADY GAGA movie!"...?

Well... yeah... but this is anime. Isn't whole point about the AKB48 fandom is that the fans get to see the cutesy real life girls perform live on stage at Akihabara? What's the point of seeing a 2D cartoon version? I assume none of the songs are going to be actual AKB48 songs or the characters voiced by actual AKB48 members. So, other than the title and license, there's not much connection to the real life AKB48.

FYI, the video was a work-in-progress test edit, not final. Fact is, they're still working hard on it as the April 27 deadline looms near, according to the French guy who's working for Satelite.

Footage is from the 1st episode,its first edit was done last week.OK,I'm working on it so I'm biased but things are looking good.The chara design is nice,very cute.It might be very "sugary" but the universe around it isn't so it balances things out.Some phases of animation are pretty impressive,there's a good team of animators.

As you can see some of the phases of the concert are in 3D cel shading like idolmaster.2D is still there for the close up shots to keep good design quality and enough subtility in the design of the faces.

Nothing is finalised (3D animation,compo effects...),there's still a lot of work to be done and the airing date is getting closer.The first show should be 13 episodes long and a sequel with as many episodes is planned shorty afterwards (I have no idea if I the right to say this,oh well...)

Rena Matsui, who's a member down at sister team SKE48 (Sakae) and is known in the fan community to be a hardcore Idolmaster player, asked publicly that the production staff make the CG dance movements feel more natural (machine translation, sorry):

If you do not become more natural movement of the step of character but IM@S will not be exceeded!

There are precedents, for example: first there was New Kids on the Block, who, at the height of their popularity had their own animated show, but for a short time; later there was Puffy Ami Yumi on CN.

Now I can't blame Yasushi Akimoto (Aki-P the boss, bar none) for trying to do something different with the rather bland and banal world of Japanese pop music (in an industry with a certain rival jimusho agency that has a tight grip on its wards, even going so far as to forbid any unofficial photography), as he's experimenting with very different approaches (last week, I think, there was a CM that bordered on sapphic kisses and raised up a storm down at TokyoHive, but otherwise the girls did good work last year raising up more than a billion yen to help with disaster relief efforts).

I'd say that anyone who are critical of the girls or non-fans must do their homework first before putting their opinions forward (fact is, to prepare for this show's coming, and as I have little idea then about the girl group, I immediately took a full-on crash course on AKBology... and came out liking their music).

Finally, as the screenplay is written by Mari Okada (Toradora, Ano Hana), many are making comparisons with Idolmaster: Xenoglossia, but for me... Maybe it'll blow that other one out of the water.

Anyway, here's the final roster:

<AKB0048 - Legacy Members>

Acchan / Maeda Atsuko – Sawashiro Miyuki (Bakemonogatari)

Yuuko / Oshima Yuko – Kanda Akemi (Clannad, Negima!)

Yukirin / Kashiwagi Yuki – Horie Yui (School Rumble, Fruits Basket)

Mayuyu / Watanabe Mayu – Tamura Yukari (Galaxy Angel, Nanoha)

Kojiharu / Kojima Haruna – Noto Mamiko (Hell Girl, Marimite)

Takamina / Takahashi Minami – Shiraishi Ryoko (Hayate the Combat Butler)

Tomochin / Itano Tomomi – Ueda Kana (Fate Stay/Night, Marimite, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Japan version)

Sae / Miyazawa Sae – Nakahara Mai (Mai-Hime)

Sayaka / Akimoto Sayaka – Kawasumi Ayako (Fate/Zero, Fate Stay/Night)

<AKB0048 - The Research Students>

Aida Orine – Nakaya Sayaka (AKB48 Team A)

Ichijo Yuka – Sato Amina (AKB48 Team B)

Kanzaki Suzuko – Hata Sawako (SKE48 Team KII)

Kishida Mimori – Sato Sumire (AKB48 Team B)

Shinonome Kanata – Ishida Haruka (AKB48 Team B)

Shinonome Sonata – Yagami Kumi (SKE48 Team S)

Sono Chieri – Watanabe Mayu (AKB48 Team B)

Motomiya Nagisa – Iwata Karen (AKB48 Research Student)

Yokomizo Makoto – Mita Mao (NMB48 Team M)

Edited by soul.assassin

You're not the only one feeling completely skeptical.

Judging from my observations on various fora and news blogs, both ordinary anime fans and AKB wota aren't happy with the PV and expecting it to be less than stellar. Also, it's one of the least anticipated shows for the Spring season, as evidenced in Biglobe's polls by the prevalence of adapted works over originals.

However, we'll never know until it airs next month. Again, Kawamori's throwing the dice on this, with lots of chips stacked on the table.

Whether or not it's a good anime, is irrelevant for me, the whole cutsey idol group thing is just not my cup of tea. Gimme a serious 'real robot' war anime any day.

Graham

Umm yeah... but aren't we fans of Macross 7? ;)

I'm sure that if we can handle Space John Lennon, we can also handle Space AKB48. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

2nd trailer has gone up. This is more what I was expecting really...^^;

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=tPBA_sMYCNU

One of them was wearing a "KISS" T-shirt. Now, a KISS anime directed by Kawamori, THAT I'd watch! And you can still fit in the loli girls if you really want them because they would fit well with Gene Simmons's animated tongue.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so the first ep is out and therefore I think this threat needs to be bumped...

....*BUMP!*

Having watched it I have to say that the first 10 mins are uterly hilariously awesome. After that the show becomes more predictable. Animation-quality-wise its pretty good although I feel it shows, once again, the studio style that Satellite has developed (began with Frontier and was further consolidated with Aquarion Evol - much like its easy to pick Madhouse and IG shows by their style, I feel that its fairly easy to pick Satellite ones now too).

From the opening shot of space to the spherical, Yamato-influenced radar on the AKB0048 phoenix ship bridge, theres a LOT of Frontier influence here. Heck, the planet that the main 3 characters are on is even called 'Rankastar', lol!

Oh and to anyone watching the fansubbed version (lets be honest here, this thing has about as much chance as Frontier of coming out in English speaing territories), be warned that the subs are pretty attrocious. Apart from the typical translation errors theres also lines added or changed to try to make it sound more adult. Its almost like they were trying to do some 'fifteening' on it for some reason.

Edited by Tochiro

I missed the first episode but the second one was on over the weekend and it sucked. Oh dear god, it pulverized my teeth from all the grating.

And for god's sake spell SATELIGHT properly. I haven't said anything up to now but honestly... Tsk, tsk!

BTW, the spherical radar is in Aquarion Evol, too, so I think they are reusing lots of design elements.

I missed the first episode but the second one was on over the weekend and it sucked. Oh dear god, it pulverized my teeth from all the grating.

And for god's sake spell SATELIGHT properly. I haven't said anything up to now but honestly... Tsk, tsk!

BTW, the spherical radar is in Aquarion Evol, too, so I think they are reusing lots of design elements.

Well, I honestly didnt expect you of all people to enjoy it.... ^^; Go back and give the first ep a try though if you are willing. I cant speak for ep 2 since i have yet to see it.

And pffffffffft, spelling is bad for your health. I avoid it. Along wih things like remembering ppls names, etc. :-p