Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

• 2 weeks later...

Another USMC F/A-18C lost along with the pilot. :( The Canadians are also having issues with wear and tear on their Hornets too.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/6407/pilot-killed-in-yet-another-marine-f-a-18-hornet-crash

I'm slightly curious as to why the F-16C isn't having as many complications as it's been in service a few years more than Hornet.

Another USMC F/A-18C lost along with the pilot. :( The Canadians are also having issues with wear and tear on their Hornets too.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/6407/pilot-killed-in-yet-another-marine-f-a-18-hornet-crash

I'm slightly curious as to why the F-16C isn't having as many complications as it's been in service a few years more than Hornet.

Probably due to a serious lack of spare parts? There was a recent news story of the Marines going to museum display Hornets to pull off needed parts.

The Legacy Hornet has been out of production for awhile so I guess spare parts must be getting harder and harder to get.

Edited by Vifam7

That is AMAZING! I am always impressed with what these custom LEGO builders can do.

Chris

I know eh! its clearly the best lego aircraft I have seen in a long while!

That is magnificent! Canopy is obviously custom but I can't see a whole lot more I can readily pick out as 'not lego' from the vid.

He does mention he vacuum forms his own canopies but I think that's the only thing non lego. Its bloody impressive! I'd love to have that on display!

Ha, that first one referenced a park where I used to run Cross Country competitions in High School. John Wayne is the second largest airport in the Los Angeles/Orange County area. Shocking to here that there is only *ONE* guy to give guidance! Crazy!

some of these are actually quite funny!

I love the Fullback. Effective, funky yet good looking, you can make a cup of coffee and relieve yourself, even take a nap on a cot. While carrying AAMs, ASMs, and bombs. At treetop level.

Interesting comparison, that the heavily upgraded F/A-18A+ (and now the C+) take advantage of electronics being miniaturized over the years---they tend to be lighter than older/"gradually upgraded" versions, since the same capabilities can now be fit en masse into fewer and smaller "black boxes" etc. Yet the F-16 only ever seems to "plaster on more bits" wherever there's room.

Bonus: Found a nice new early Tomcat pic: http://collections.naval.aviation.museum/emuwebdoncoms/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=71201

I love the squadron paint jobs on the earlier F-14As.

Lack of space on the F-16 probably explains the somewhat Frankenstein method for adding additional capabilities. I wonder how much more gracefully the F-16XL would have adapted to modifications to keep it up-to-date given its larger size.

EC97-44354-3-1.jpg