Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

it looks kind of like a Hawker Siddeley Nimrod with a lot of inaccurate details.

I was about to say the same thing. If the nose were a bit more pointed and had a probe above the cockpit, it would almost be a dead ringer. The in wing engine nacelles and the shape of the vertical stab are right, as is the general shape.

I do believe it supposed to be one. Here is an actual Nimrod for comparison. Unfortunately it is a small picture.

220px-Nimrod_MR2_Mar2003.jpeg

Edited by grigolosi

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/usaf-warms-to-f-22-raptor-revival-proposal-425794/

Still alive... sort of.

I can only hope if they make this happen, LMT would not screw it up as it has done with a lot of its other projects.

yes it would be nice to restart F-22 production even to double the current inventory but.. sadly I think they have gotten way way way too deep into the financial pit of doom with the F-35 to be able to afford it.. The question is does the USAF need a air dominance fighter to replace the F-15 any more? Something the JSF simply won't be capable of filling those big shoes.

On a lighter note, the other day I saw an article on how the US Air Force is supposedly the best in the world. The thing that gave me a good laugh is that the picture at the top of the article was of a Eurofighter Typhoon!

Hehe! Its funny you mention that as it wasn't too long ago i read an article on the RAAF and the photo they used was of two USAF F-16 flying along side two Canadian F-18.. all of which being described as RAAF aircraft. Made me giggle and eye roll..

On a lighter note, the other day I saw an article on how the US Air Force is supposedly the best in the world. The thing that gave me a good laugh is that the picture at the top of the article was of a Eurofighter Typhoon!

How about this, elsewhere on this forum I saw a link to a similar article about the USAF being the best air force, but the picture is of a VF-1 Valkyrie :D

Regarding the Raptor article, there was some talk of opening up to foreign investment. Anyone else think an F-22A in JASDF colors would look gorgeous?

Well, maybe they're using the best fighter aircraft in the world...? :lol:

(Yes, I know! I'm British, its a joke, okay!).

The "wrong aircraft" thing - theres a pretty good music video for a song called "Spitfire Bird", which features lots of period footage of Spitfires - but if you look really closely, and don't blink, in a couple of shots theres some Hurricanes...

How about this, elsewhere on this forum I saw a link to a similar article about the USAF being the best air force, but the picture is of a VF-1 Valkyrie :D

I saw that same article. I'm going to assume that the author saw the picture and thought that it was an F-14.

Well, maybe they're using the best fighter aircraft in the world...? :lol:

(Yes, I know! I'm British, its a joke, okay!).

The "wrong aircraft" thing - theres a pretty good music video for a song called "Spitfire Bird", which features lots of period footage of Spitfires - but if you look really closely, and don't blink, in a couple of shots theres some Hurricanes...

I appreciate British aircraft just as mush as I do US aircraft. I particularly love the V Bombers!

I've been lucky enough to see the Vulcan a couple of times (sadly, it won't be flying anymore); always an impressive display of lift overcoming gravity that one!

I only got to see the static display Vulcan that's at the Royal Air Force Museum in London. Even on the ground it was quite impressive!

Always thought the Victor along with the Hawker Hunter were the best looking British aircraft of the jet age.

Also, I'm always interested in seeing close up footage of the Raptor.

Still using the AIM-9M so they must be Block 20 Raptors. (Is unsure of how quick the upgrade process is going to the Blk 30.)

everytime i see a flanker video, i kinda wish there was a flanker valk..in this case the SU-35 prototype, no front canards and with a fixed wing..

anyway the music aint half bad..

Yeah, it's called an SV-51;

if there was ever a descendant of the Flanker in Macross, it would be the SV-51 and eventually the VF-27.

Oh, that's a nice poster

Yeah, it's called an SV-51;

if there was ever a descendant of the Flanker in Macross, it would be the SV-51 and eventually the VF-27.

Oh, that's a nice poster

The SV-51 had sharp forward facing canards, and thin fuselage/wing always reminded me more of a F-18.

But i do understand the references to it being flanker based due to its supposedly large front fuselage.

What i meant is more of the traditional flanker which didnt have front canards, and its swept back wing area was larger.

This meant that the wing and back rudder areas were closer forming a arrow cluster with the cockpit way out front and sitting high on the front fuselage.

Its a simple profile yes, but always thought that would be a real badass valk.

Hmm from the poster looks like India is SU-30 flanker HQ with the amount of flankers it has!

Edited by seti88

so basically a VF-11 without the canards?

attachicon.gifVf11_l.jpg

Yes to that effect, but without canards and also with a fixed wing.

The VF-11 also had those top fuselage engine intakes tho and a short tail rudders, which made it look a little more stumpy in the back, compared to a flanker with flat back.

That being said, i do like the closeness of wing to tail rudders of the VF-11, especially with the tail rudders being on the main fuselage.

Beautiful bird, but I can't keep up with the Flanker numbers.

Here's some help for a start:

su30-2014-12-29-en.jpg

I used to think the number of F-16 designations with the number of export versions were confusing until I looked up all of the domestic and export variants of various Migs and Su's. The number of MiG-21 and MiG-23 (MiG-27 not included) variants is tough to remember.

It's seems like the Su-30SM could become an intermediate replacement for the Soviet-era spec Su-27s still flying with how slow the upgrades are going to the SM.