Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

I just noticed for the first time that David has 2 g's in his username, and that his badge is Sharon Apple.

I'm not sure if this says more about how little attention I've been paying, or where my attention to detail goes when I'm tired. Either way, I've been here 6 years and I'm just now making these connections.

In other news, I've decided the 777 is my favorite airliner. Because reasons.

A Jordanian F-16 went down over Syria. Pilot captured by ISIS but it's not confirmed it was shot down or just suffered a mechanical failure. It's no secret ISIS has captured shoulder-launched MANPADS.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/24/islamic-state-shot-down-coalition-warplane-syria

Fighters of the Islamic State (Isis) in Syria have scored a major propaganda coup by capturing a Jordanian air force pilot whose plane came down on Wednesday during an air raid by the international coalition near the northern city of Raqqa, the de facto jihadi capital.

Images posted on social media showed jubilant Isis gunmen, some of them masked, with a clearly frightened man, naked from the waist down and being dragged out of a lake. He was identified as the downed pilot and named on Twitter, which displayed his military ID card, as First Lieutenant Muadh al-Kasasbeh, 26. The Jordanian military immediately described him as a “hostage”.

The F-16 was the first warplane lost since the US-led coalition began air strikes against Isis in Syria three months ago. The group said it had shot down the fighter jet with a heat-seeking missile. It was not immediately clear whether it had indeed been shot down or suffered a technical failure. Another image on social media showing the plane’s intact cockpit canopy suggested that the pilot might have ejected.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at starting up my diecast plane collection again. The local hobby shop has the Italeri 1:100 diecasts fro $10 a piece, cheapest I have ever seen them, and once I start buying them they will order specific ones I am interested in. What is the general consensus on these, good, crap? I have yet to see them out of the package and the pics on flying mule don't seem to do them justice.

Looking at starting up my diecast plane collection again. The local hobby shop has the Italeri 1:100 diecasts fro $10 a piece, cheapest I have ever seen them, and once I start buying them they will order specific ones I am interested in. What is the general consensus on these, good, crap? I have yet to see them out of the package and the pics on flying mule don't seem to do them justice.

For $10 a piece, they're not too bad. They're certainly much better than the DeAgostini models. But keep in mind that -

a. they're mostly made of plastic rather than diecast.

b. they don't come with interchangeable landing gears

c. they don't come with pilots or canopies that open

d. certain details can be off and require DIY fixes (such as missiles being incorrectly positioned or seats sitting way too low in the cockpit, certain color detail missing, etc)

Just finished initiating my first Airworthiness Directive (we don't get to write them, that goes to the legal folks). It's a corrective action for a glitch that was discovered, that while it hasn't been a problem yet, could be. Cool to know that something I did will help keep people safe.

That Draken confuses me so much...

Is it a scheme All Nippon Airways thought of?

Is it a tribute to Frozen?

Is it some kinda Sento Yosei Yukikaze thing?

I just don't know!

That Draken confuses me so much...

Is it a scheme All Nippon Airways thought of?

Is it a tribute to Frozen?

Is it some kinda Sento Yosei Yukikaze thing?

I just don't know!

ANA is in reference to Anna, the character from Frozen. Let It Go And Dreaming refers to the song, Let It Go, from Frozen. Yukikaze literally means "Snowy Wind".

It's a Frozen thing. The choice of a Draken is probably because Drakens, like Frozen's basis, are Scandinavian.

Ah, now you've said it, yes, the rudder is a giveaway... I didn't think the wings were right for a Spitfire...

A relative reports that they may have seen an A400M at my local airport today. Apparently the regional airline has a maintenance contract with the RAF!

Edited by F-ZeroOne