Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

Does anyone know how a degrading paint scheme on a military aircraft affects the flying characteristics?

Not exactly the same, but there was a news story in the UK press a few years back about how Pepsi paid for a Concorde to be painted Pepsi blue and it backfired because the new scheme meant that Concorde couldn't fly at Mach 2 because the paint messed up its ability to handle the kinetic heating. Not sure how much truth there was to that, the UK press are typically exceptionally poor at accurate aviation stories (did you know the A-10 Thunderbolt II has a 30inch gatling cannon?).

The budget or willingness to spend at such a pace just isn't there right now and understandably so. I'm just glad we won't have to keep depending on the Russians for much longer. An alternative to the solid rocket boaster would be the next big step I see in human space development.

Maybe I've forgotten how loud the shuttle launch could be but those Delta IVs certainly have a roar to them.

Here are some shots.

NASA_Orion_launch__3129986k.jpgNASA_Orion_launch__3129992k.jpg

Edited by Shadow

The next logical step to open up true space exploration would be the nuclear thermal rocket. The significant improvement in specific impulse means it's the best way for us to get to Mars and near-Earth asteroids. There's just this huge stigma surrounding it, but they're not dangerous to the planet if used as the final stage of the rocket.

That assumes that the rocket doesn't have problems before leaving the planet though. Any serious issues during launch could send the entire thing crashing down, and no matter how reliable we think the rocket might be, nothing has a 0% failure rate. :(

That's the logic that people have used for decades to try and stop the launch of nuclear powered probes, rovers, and landers, and it has been rebuffed time and again. Cassini-Huygens comes to mind, as does Curiosity in more recent memory.

There are failsafes that are designed into nuclear devices, specifically to prevent the kinds of catastrophes people complain about the potential for.

I think possibly two different things are being thought of here? One is a nuclear rocket thats turned on once the craft has entered orbit, the other is a nuclear rocket thats turned on when its leaving the ground (which would be different to say, a space probe using a nuclear power source for power). NASA experimented with the latter during the 60s, and theres been at least two fictional sources I know of that have considered the implications should a malfunction occur using one (Stephen Baxters "Voyage" and the graphic novel "Ministry of Space" - both set in alternate universes involving Mars mission attempts).

One potential issue is that you'd need to test the rocket somehow in any case - and early tests are usually ground-based...

I think possibly two different things are being thought of here? One is a nuclear rocket thats turned on once the craft has entered orbit, the other is a nuclear rocket thats turned on when its leaving the ground (which would be different to say, a space probe using a nuclear power source for power). NASA experimented with the latter during the 60s, and theres been at least two fictional sources I know of that have considered the implications should a malfunction occur using one (Stephen Baxters "Voyage" and the graphic novel "Ministry of Space" - both set in alternate universes involving Mars mission attempts).

One potential issue is that you'd need to test the rocket somehow in any case - and early tests are usually ground-based...

Yup. You pretty much outlined the issue. I was talking about turning it on during the TMI burn for a Mars mission. Ground tests are definitely a good thing to have, but they don't have that luxury with nuclear. Essentially, you'd have to just build a good rocket system and bet on it being successful. If anything goes wrong during startup, there could be an escape system to bring the passengers back home while ditching the rest of the craft.

You can ground-test nuclear rocket engines, you just need a lot of Nevada to perform the engine tests.

The one concept that doesn't get raised often enough is testing a nuclear rocket in space. Either by sending it up as assembled payload, or assembling the engine in orbit, safe testing can be achieved. This may be an option for after more permanent positions on the moon have been established, or after the proposed asteroid-capture mission succeeds.

It was cool walking the factory floor, you could fit a couple carriers in that place, sheesh. I never saw so many 787s, 777s, 767s and 747s in one place before. You can see the various ways they are built too, very cool. I can see why the place has its own microclimate.

Okay, I took the bait, and....

:lol:

oh, good one, man. Thanks, I needed that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0DGZfc-nJQ

This thing would make a great space fighter prop, for a sci fi TV show or something.

I felt bad for the guy they made sit in the cockpit!!

Reminds me of the Hammer head from "Space above and beyond"!

Edited by miles316

Considering that the F-18 Hornet's lineage can be traced back to the F-5, what the Iranians did isn't totally outrageous.

Yeah, but considering that the F-20 exists, going to a single more powerful engine would likely have been the better option, if you wanted to upgrade an F-5.

(but that would have taken, you know, work, instead of bolting on new fins and adding a papier-mache fairing)