Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

A translation of the Japanese MoD's report on the F-35A that unfortunately crashed with the loss of its pilot, as well as the airframe.

Credit goes to https://twitter.com/Task_Force23

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GOzw1wshVBf743aFhiADIv5DnDWbOYlTerdoF-mS3eM/edit

Original report in Japanese.

https://www.mod.go.jp/asdf/news/houdou/H31/20190610.pdf

28 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Imagine, making the skin for a super-sonic-aircraft out of PLASTIC might've been a longevity issue...:rolleyes::D [I know it's REALLY high-tech plastic, but still lol]

Every week I'm presented with more and more evidence as to why the Russians put the Su-57 on hold: they're waiting for the USA to fix these same, Stealth-related problems they've encountered so they can cyber-espionage the fixes into their own fighters/production-lines...

For the defense industrial complex, they should treat their systems like they were fighting cylons.  Air gap everything.  No WiFi or Bluetooth in buildings. USB ports removed, no CDs or floppies anywhere.  No cell phones or cameras.  Yeah, I am old fashioned.

Edited by kalvasflam

22 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

For the defense industrial complex, they should treat their systems like they were fighting cylons.  Air gap everything.  No WiFi or Bluetooth in buildings. USB ports removed, no CDs or floppies anywhere.  No cell phones or cameras.  Yeah, I am old fashioned.

the old tricks are the best tricks.

If one is not following the above advice, and treating data protection with seriousness, you're going to lose the game.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Is this the small F-16-sized stealth fighter with the 3D thrust vector nozzles that Japan developed? The... ATD-0, I think?

The X-2 Shinshin, which was a testbed for technology developed for the F-3.

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

Full size mockup of the FCAS at Le Bourget

Cq8Fuld.jpg

nG5PUV1.jpg

Looks like a Raptor that someone accidentally sat on. That describes a lot of 5th/6th gen designs though, there are only so many ways to make an LO shaped aircraft that can also go fast and turn good.

Remember how car guys bitch about how modern cars all look the same these days thanks to CAD? Now airplane guys can commence. 

33 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Remember how car guys bitch about how modern cars all look the same these days thanks to CAD? Now airplane guys can commence. 

Us airliner fans have already BEEN saying that.   Twin-engine widebody?  Twin-engine narrowbody?  T-tailed regional jet?   There's 100% of the current production.   (asides from the last few 747-8 and A380's to trickle out...) 

1 hour ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

AIM-120 AMRAAM replacement is in the works.

Its called the AIM-260 JATM, slated for IOC in 2022.

http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pages/2019/June%202019/Air-Force-Developing-AMRAAM-Replacement-to-Counter-China.aspx

Nice, at least it's not some turbo ramjet bullshit.  But I wonder how it will fare in the world of stealth aircraft.

4 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Nice, at least it's not some turbo ramjet bullshit.  But I wonder how it will fare in the world of stealth aircraft.

The article mentioned that it has different capabilities onboard to go after next generation threats, which is pretty vague, but understandably so.

If its going to be the next air to air missile for the US, I'd assume they've taken opposing stealth aircraft into account.

13 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

What's wrong with ramjet-powered AAMs? Everyone seems to think the MBDA Meteor is the best AAM currently.

On 6/17/2019 at 1:07 PM, AN/ALQ128 said:

Looks like a Raptor that someone accidentally sat on. That describes a lot of 5th/6th gen designs though, there are only so many ways to make an LO shaped aircraft that can also go fast and turn good.

But it's got a V-tail like the YF-23. I thought the YF-23 was the coolest thing ever and therefore Jets with YF-23 features are automatically cool.

Edited by anime52k8

1 hour ago, Vifam7 said:

What's wrong with ramjet-powered AAMs? Everyone seems to think the MBDA Meteor is the best AAM currently.

Fundamentally, nothing is wrong with ramjet, but the weapons are just too much hype, MBDA has a ramjet missile, but speed wise, it isn't any better than your run of the mill AMRAAM.  Now, technically, the Meteor is supposed to be better than the AMRAAMs in terms of engagement envelops because of the ramjet, but there is no real operational history yet,  the AMRAAM at least has operational history to some extent.  Even though its targets were... what's a nice way to put it... second rate.  Oh, and friendly.

It's like the R77, a lot of hype, and nobody actually has any real combat data.  Certainly not against peer opponents.  

Forgive the bumpage, but there's an airshow at Fairchild AFB this weekend, featuring the Raptor. Fortunately, I can see a fair bit of the aerial action from my bedroom window, and as much as I'm an advocate for the YF-23, I must confess watching the 22 go vertical through several hundred feet and do a 180 somersault is pretty neat. At another point they did a vertical climb and at its zenith just hovered there for about 20 seconds , nose up at about 60 degrees. They also flew it at a similar angle, nice and slow. I'm not sure how any of these aerobatics is helpful in combat, but it looks great for an airshow, and it makes a wicked roar similar to a TIE Fighter from time to time. Still wish it was a 23 flying around instead, but, y' know, history.

I've got a trip planned to the Air Force Museum planned in August, so I'll finally get to see the YF-23 in all her mothballed glory. Bittersweet though it is, I still can't wait.

Now back to air to air missiles....

3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

(...)  I'm not sure how any of these aerobatics is helpful in combat, (...)

In short, they demonstrate a high angle of attack (AOA)—or the ability to fly & shoot at opponents at up to 60° from the direction of flight.

Compare to an AOA of 20° for most aircraft, and the up-to 45-50° AOA of other supermaneuverable fighters.

I just worked on planes (heavies, no fighters); never flew 'em and have no flight training, let alone combat flight training, to speak of, so I'll kindly take your word for it. Watching the F-22 go through its paces, the impression I have is that the engineers worked hard to reduce stall limits, as maneuverability is very impressive, and the engines up to task. When you consider that the aircraft is over twenty years old now, as the YF-22 demonstration model was selected over the YF-23 in 1991, and is still considered 'new', one tends to wonder what's in development as we speak.  

:lol:

I'd love to see a viable transforming fighter in my lifetime, but I'd settle for a transforming car or motorcycle. I vehemently want to see the technology proven and becoming commonplace within my lifetime, even if it comes down to an old-fart scooter transforming to carry my wrinkled old ass up and down stairs.  Don't know why transforming stuff so captivates me, but robots in general, and transforming ones far, far more, have held me spellbound for as long as I can remember. To see it made real would be a dream come true.

But, just like most tech, I'm sure it wouldn't take long for the military to weaponize it, and if these things were imbued with AI, all the doomsday scenarios sci-fi writers have dreamt up over the years would likely follow. I'd be pushing daisies, but condolences to all you young'uns! :p

8 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

:lol:

I'd love to see a viable transforming fighter in my lifetime, but I'd settle for a transforming car or motorcycle. I vehemently want to see the technology proven and becoming commonplace within my lifetime, even if it comes down to an old-fart scooter transforming to carry my wrinkled old ass up and down stairs.  Don't know why transforming stuff so captivates me, but robots in general, and transforming ones far, far more, have held me spellbound for as long as I can remember. To see it made real would be a dream come true.

But, just like most tech, I'm sure it wouldn't take long for the military to weaponize it, and if these things were imbued with AI, all the doomsday scenarios sci-fi writers have dreamt up over the years would likely follow. I'd be pushing daisies, but condolences to all you young'uns! :p

Check out the Focke-Wulf FW 860. It was a Cold War concept for a convertible tail sitter VTOL fighter jet where the nose section (including the cockpit) of the fuselage hinged down during take offs and landings. Its probably the closest anyone will get to a real life variable fighter.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 10:37 AM, Shadow said:

Nice RIO seat footage from an F-14. Likely late 80s.

Thanks for sharing that! Just a good day in the life video.

Chris