Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

14 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

So, after a good degree of... um... thinking, Canada has decided on the F-35 as its CF-18 replacement.

I presume they will be getting the F-35EH variant. 😉

What a waste of time and money, they had selected the f35 before this re selection process 

A bit understandabale, as catapults, esp if they are the newer eletromagnetic ones, are lot more expensive and maintenance hungry than a good old ski-jump. But then, a ski-jump is one-use real-estate and doesn't help getting a fighter up to speed, just off the deck.

At the time, electromagnetic catapaults were still a bit... that'll be nice. Someday. And it wasn't just the means of getting the aircraft off the carrier, it was the aircraft itself, the choice of which also included a proposed naval Typhoon...

Today has been a good day for military aviation history buffs to have some fun:

2 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

And:

I had the giggles all through this. Good stuff.

IIRC, while I was in middle school, on Christmas eve day before they let us out early, since there wasn't much to do, they always played a tv-friendly version of Firefox. I have no idea why that particular movie, and I never really paid much attention to it as most of us were BSing among ourselves or with the teachers. It wasn't until I was in the military that I finally saw it in its entirety unedited. It's hokey but fun- a great Cold War era film w/ good ole' Clint Eastwood. What's cool is that a full-sized mockup was actually built, and the landing gear were motorized to achieve the taxiing/takeoff scenes under its own power.

It's still a really neat looking design; I think the Cobra Raven took some cues from both it and the SR-71. I wonder what the Russians thought of the movie and the eponymous plane?

13 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Meh- I'm rooting for Bell's V-280 Valor. See the source imageThis looks like the future. 

Ironically, or maybe not so ironically, Sikorsky went with a design that's reminiscent of Soviet helicopters, which often favor coaxial main rotors. It also looks like it crawled out of the 50's backlog of concepts.

• 1 month later...

So I happened to be in Burlington, Vermont at the airport waiting to fly out and have known that the Green Mountain Boys (Vermont Air National Guard) have shared the runway with the Burlington airport.  I look out of the gate window into the hanger space I see several F-35 ( I assume to be the F-35A model), which kind of surprised me, as I did not know that air national guard units were getting the F-35.  I know that the Green Mountain Boys had f-16's for the longest time, but I am glad to see them with F-35's.  I know that on 9/11 they sent their F-16's into the air without any air to air missiles loaded as they scrambled so fast.

Twich

14B073B4-2478-488B-823C-509F8D7C2964.jpeg

C9AD2538-F40A-43BB-B6BC-2FC13E194D8F.jpeg

Edited by twich
Added photos

• 2 weeks later...

ROCAF F-16 returning from Arizona making an emergency landing without the front landing gear and tail hook deployed in Honolulu. Photo courtesy Trivagovirgo.

602804338_F-16nose.jpg.8c79e1f96a30da7f5a18aba612af4f25.jpg1505179193_F-16nose2.jpg.4581b98f473998a4f07d330d41673241.jpg

Edited by wmkjr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 2:45 AM, twich said:

So I happened to be in Burlington, Vermont at the airport waiting to fly out and have known that the Green Mountain Boys (Vermont Air National Guard) have shared the runway with the Burlington airport.  I look out of the gate window into the hanger space I see several F-35 ( I assume to be the F-35A model), which kind of surprised me, as I did not know that air national guard units were getting the F-35.  I know that the Green Mountain Boys had f-16's for the longest time, but I am glad to see them with F-35's.  I know that on 9/11 they sent their F-16's into the air without any air to air missiles loaded as they scrambled so fast.

Twich

My wife was just at that same airfield a few days ago, and she also sent me photos of the F-35s! I was shocked, to say the least. How does the Vermont Air National Guard have the budget to be able to field these? I was wondering if they were laying over or transferring, but looking at the date of your post, now I'm not so sure anymore.

My brother after two years of waiting finally got his warbird flight on the B-25J Mitchell "Maid In The Shade" yesterday. I bought him the ticket to fly two years ago, but it got cancelled due to bad weather, then covid happened and cancelled the tour for the next year.

Sorry to post his ugly mug, but you just can't replace that look of pure joy of an older guy getting in touch with his inner child. The real kicker once the flight ended a photographer friend of his that also took the B-25 flight experience bought my brother a ticket for today on the B-17G Sentimental Journey that accompanies the B-25 on it's tour.

img_1_1658002519005.jpg