Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

Wow, that could have been so much worse, that plane could have crashed into more than a few aircraft in the front of the deck if it slid the wrong way.  Or if he drifted a bit to either side, wipe out planes to his left.  

did I see correctly, looks like he ejected right before the plane started to spin.   Wonder what caused the pilot to be low by that much, another few meters and he wouldn’t have even been on the deck.

Edited by kalvasflam

A massive settle at the ramp... wonder what caused it.

1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

whoever leaked that video better be careful, there's a board in their future.

Yep:ph34r:

Especially when you can hear some of the conversation in the background. Probably won’t be hard to determine who was in the room. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Maintenance crews are pissed because of all the dust and crap that got knocked loose in the air ducts from that impact and now they have to clean up all the dirty spaces. Lol

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Military technology has always been this weird blend of cutting edge and yesterdays news, especially electronic wise. I suspect many non-military organisations are the same, you use what  works as long as it does the job until its no longer practical or sustainable to do so. They'll get new deck cameras when a) they can no longer be maintained b) theres budget to do so and c) maybe when the ship next goes in for refit. Theres also d) which is any new system better not interfere with all the gazillion other things on the ship that might break if something changes.

55 minutes ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Military technology has always been this weird blend of cutting edge and yesterdays news, especially electronic wise. I suspect many non-military organisations are the same, you use what  works as long as it does the job until its no longer practical or sustainable to do so. They'll get new deck cameras when a) they can no longer be maintained b) theres budget to do so and c) maybe when the ship next goes in for refit. Theres also d) which is any new system better not interfere with all the gazillion other things on the ship that might break if something changes.

This is all true.  I see this kind of thing all the time.  First launcher I worked on, the most modern one at the time, still used parts from old Trident Missile Launchers.

6 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I'm sorrry, ... In the days of 8K cameras and monitors, THAT is the best the US Navy has for carrier deck camera footage??? Jeeez....

You want 8k footage of a screwup that cost many millions in taxpayer dollars?

Me too!! ... but the Department of the US Navy sure doesn't:rofl:

Edited by slide

• 3 weeks later...

And in non Ukraine related aviation news:  https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/03/03/navy-recovers-sunken-f-35-jet-crashed-off-deck-of-carrier-south-china-sea.html/amp

well, that was fast, must have been some interesting stuff aboard to get the plane recovered that fast from the S C Sea.  Wonder how close the PLAN got to it.  And also if there were any extracurricular activities as well.

• 2 weeks later...