Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

On 10/27/2021 at 8:16 AM, reddsun1 said:

Not sure if it should go here, or in a modeling thread; but is it just me, or wouldn't the F4-U Corsair have made an absolutely kick a$$ pusher-prop design?  

8d3f8d569c551a5e4653711805d5dfac.jpg

I always envisioned a bubble canopy, like on the Super Corsair; and a vert stabilizer on the top of the engine cowling, with a smaller one on the bottom.  But hey, it seems some kit-basher had similar ideas.  The twin stabs on either wing makes more sense for a Naval aircraft though, allowing for a landing hook.  Still, can't help but wonder how fast that thing might have been, flying "backwards."  

I think the bigger problem you're going to have here is that there's no way this would ever work on a carrier.  Even presuming you could land at a low enough angle of attack to not destroy the prop by digging it into the deck, how's that hook going to work with the blades slicing the wires? :lol: 

Cool design regardless, but I don't believe there have ever been any carrier-based pusher designs for exactly those reasons.

Edited by Chronocidal

I just listened to this episode of The Moth, a live storytelling... campaign? organization? Anyway, this episode is from Veterans' Day 2016. All three stories are good listens if you have the time, but the first one, "Good to Go," is most relevant: Ted Hartley talks about flying - and landing - the F9F Panther.

https://themoth.org/radio-hour/veterans-day-2016-iraq-aircraft-carriers-candy

16 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I just listened to this episode of The Moth, a live storytelling... campaign? organization? Anyway, this episode is from Veterans' Day 2016. All three stories are good listens if you have the time, but the first one, "Good to Go," is most relevant: Ted Hartley talks about flying - and landing - the F9F Panther.

https://themoth.org/radio-hour/veterans-day-2016-iraq-aircraft-carriers-candy

Just hearing about the F9F brings back memories of my childhood. The town that I grew up in had a retired one that was stripped and used as a playground piece from 1969 to 1987. I used to play on that old plane all the time when I was a kid. That very same plane is now restored and is one of the display pieces in the Intrepid Museum in NYC. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

I assume you know more, but can't say more?   :)

Eh, yes and no.  We discussed something along these lines when I was at Edwards.  Some theories regarding IR stealth, laser reflection, and other possible options.

Put this paint-scheme on that Raptor:F-100 Super Sabre Afterburner Flybys - Thunder Over Michigan 2016 - YouTube

Come on, let's make Paint-schemes Great Again! Grey is boring, and we all know it!:lol:

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

It’s okay, we’ll get James May to make a couple dozen 1/1 scale Airfix kits and drop them around the sea floor to throw them off.

On 11/23/2021 at 10:42 AM, David Hingtgen said:

If you're gonna do it, go all out----THIS is the all-time best bare metal scheme:

Spoiler

5231D1DE-2EE8-4F08-A853-0E22343694B4.jpeg

C5B4DD98-E159-49F4-9F52-11D1897F6901.jpeg

It's wonderfully garish... Anyone know what squadron that is? I may need to hunt down a set of decals...

It seems that 21st century toys put this scheme on one of their 1/18 offerings...  but I don't need a 1/18 Starfighter

Thanks @Dobber, I couldn't make out the words on my screen.

479 TFW. Must be the  Wing Co.'s ride.

14 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

that was... a significant amount of debris that came off the thing during the 'chute deployment...:blink:

• 2 weeks later...