Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

I find it ironic that they skipped right over a generation (or two or three) of engines,  most notably the MD-80's JT8D-200 that held a lot of promise/likely choice in the 80's, and ended up with the successor MD-95's engines.  (717 my ass, it's a Douglas plane!)

Anyways----someone likes insignias.  On the drop tanks, and XXL on the wings:

6EC70CDA-9741-4A43-BD54-F43CF74B9A35.jpeg

Maybe it was the fulfillment of a life long dream. Maintenance guy had a beloved toy F-15 long ago, joined the Air Force, finally got his chance to make it real...

I do wonder if they had to custom-make the stencils, or if they had "1960's B-52 size" still on-hand.   

5 hours ago, Thom said:

Just shows that with enough power, even a brick could fly.

I remember being at the EAA Airventure convention in Oshkosh, listening to Burt Rutan when a harrier took off and interrupted him.

"Put enough thrust on any piece of $#!7 and it'll fly"

• 2 weeks later...

Do I really want to know why the forestry service had an attack chopper in the first place? :lol:

All seriousness, Battleship Cove is trying to restore their own AH-1 to it's Vietnam configuration and parts have been hell to come by.

Meanwhile their Huey gunship is slowly being restored by the guy who actually flew that very airframe in Vietnam and he's taking care to keep the battle damage intact. He's got a story for each one of the bullet holes.

Not sure if it should go here, or in a modeling thread; but is it just me, or wouldn't the F4-U Corsair have made an absolutely kick a$$ pusher-prop design?  

a0e12c529be07253d6a39e05c4e2ce10.jpg8d3f8d569c551a5e4653711805d5dfac.jpg

I always envisioned a bubble canopy, like on the Super Corsair; and a vert stabilizer on the top of the engine cowling, with a smaller one on the bottom.  But hey, it seems some kit-basher had similar ideas.  The twin stabs on either wing makes more sense for a Naval aircraft though, allowing for a landing hook.  Still, can't help but wonder how fast that thing might have been, flying "backwards."  

Edited by reddsun1

On 10/25/2021 at 3:36 PM, sh9000 said:

OMGIII I want one!!!!!!!!😲

Kind of. It's electric, so the range can't be that good. It also looks a little slow. And $92K is pretty steep for something that is less complicated than a motorcycle. If they can actually sell these things they should come down to $25-30K.

Edited by sqidd

28 minutes ago, sqidd said:

OMGIII I want one!!!!!!!!😲

Kind of. It's electric, so the range can't be that good. It also looks a little slow. And $92K is pretty steep for something that is less complicated than a motorcycle. If they can actually sell these things they should come down to $25-30K.

Yeah, but the thing is: if your motorcycle stalls, you can just pull over to the side of the road. If this thing stalls, it's not like you can just pull over to the nearest cloud! O.o

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Yeah, but the thing is: if your motorcycle stalls, you can just pull over to the side of the road. If this thing stalls, it's not like you can just pull over to the nearest cloud! O.o

Motorcycles haven't stalled since 20yrs ago.:D

That helicopter thing is super cool. I'd love to have one. From a technical standpoint it's not exactly earth shattering though. A frame, some electronics, a battery(s) and some electric motors. It's pretty much a scaled up RC drone. If I were to spend real money on something like that (and I'm dumb enough to do it) it had better go at least 75mph and have a 1hr battery "range". Anything short of that and I wouldn't be interested. And that's the low bar. I'd really like something like that to go at least 100mph.:good:.....which is still pretty slow.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Motorcycles haven't stalled since 20yrs ago.:D

That helicopter thing is super cool. I'd love to have one. From a technical standpoint it's not exactly earth shattering though. A frame, some electronics, a battery(s) and some electric motors. It's pretty much a scaled up RC drone. If I were to spend real money on something like that (and I'm dumb enough to do it) it had better go at least 75mph and have a 1hr battery "range". Anything short of that and I wouldn't be interested. And that's the low bar. I'd really like something like that to go at least 100mph.:good:.....which is still pretty slow.

Okay...you hit a bird and fall off. How's that? :p