Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

That... looks kinda like a nex-gen BOMARC. :lol: 

5783956184_4d01154f57_b.jpg

Actually I think there are more recent drones it's closer to, but that was the one that came to mind first.  Maybe I'm thinking of a Firebee?

Kratos's website says the UTAP-22 is based upon the BQM-167A aerial target.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:25 AM, renegadeleader1 said:

This happened yesterday during an airshow in Florida... Talk about your HOLY **** moments(especially for the poor guy that nearly got landed on)! Thankfully no one was hurt and the plane looks like it can still be salvaged and not be a total loss.

So, apparently the pilot here shouldn't be as honored as he is... According to this, the pilot had been warned during the flight that his plane was laying smoke. Rather than landing immediately, he decided to do another circuit of the air show, at which point is engine - now lacking oil - seized. So, entirely avoidable...

Not a surprise, the F-22s system architecture is notorious for being old and extremely fussy to update, from what I understand there's just not a whole lot they can do to upgrade without serious overhaul of the airframe, something that would be impossible due to the early shutdown of manufacturing lines a decade ago.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:08 PM, Thom said:

That's a very short service life for such a complex and expensive airframe, considering it only entered operational service in 2005, and many Cold War era planes are still actively flying.  Had the right plane been chosen back in '91, I wonder if the F-23 would have enjoyed a longer operational life. It would have been prettier doing so, anyway.:p

The F-23 would probably have fallen victim to the same outside pressures the F-22 did. As was once said of a very famous potential British military aircraft that came this close to being reality:

"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR2 simply got the first three right."

56 minutes ago, F-ZeroOne said:

The F-23 would probably have fallen victim to the same outside pressures the F-22 did. As was once said of a very famous potential British military aircraft that came this close to being reality:

"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR2 simply got the first three right."

Great quote. I was unfamiliar with the TSR-2, so Wiki to the rescue. Neat looking plane, with a similar MO as the later B-1 Lancer- low and fast penetration into enemy territory, pop and drop, then turn tail and GTFO as quickly as possible. From the reading, it didn't meet original specifications, and those specs had to be reduced. Cost overruns, inter-agency squabbling and politics conspired to end her before she really ever got started. Unfortunately more cool aircraft than we'll likely ever know about have fallen to those axes. One wonders how many black program aircraft are buried out in the desert.

The YF-23 is a constant reminder, though, just hanging out in the AF Museum. So much unfulfilled potential.:(

100_3880.thumb.JPG.9a254201a2088ceb76982750a80d330d.JPG

Quote is from no less a personage than Sydney Camm, who knew a thing or two about aircraft design. ;) In some ways, I guess you could say the TSR-2 was our XB-70. I've been fortunate enough to see one of the prototypes at the Imperial War Musuem at Duxford, and its one of those designs thats nearly timeless, like Concorde or the SR-71. Quite how capable it would have been in actuality is of course never going to be known, though I remember reading someone saying it would have been like a decade-early strike Tornado in terms of ability.

The RAF Museum at Hendon several years ago had a big box full of unused titanium bolts (or some similar small parts) that were labelled as being from the TSR-2. Always regret not buying one when I had the chance, though probably not as much regret as we had when we opted for the F-111 over the TSR-2. That worked out well. ^_^

Edit: should perhaps clarify, bolts from the TSR-2 programme, not necessarily an actual TSR-2.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

One of these days, I need to get a good Gripen kit.  One of my favorite non-US designs, it -looks- like one of those fantasy designs I built with LEGO bricks or drew on my folders in gradeschool.

I would really love a 1/72 Gripen E from HM or one of the other manufacturers that do dicast models. I've been able to find a model of one of the older versions but my main reason for wanting it is having helped design a good chunk of the engine refit for the E model at my last job and it's always cool to have a model of something you've worked on.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, electric indigo said:

Gripen E in splinter camo!

Symmetrical splinter? What will those Swedes think of next... lol

ippigp40isc41.jpg

what a pretty little thing!

On 5/17/2021 at 8:40 PM, M'Kyuun said:

That's a very short service life for such a complex and expensive airframe, considering it only entered operational service in 2005, and many Cold War era planes are still actively flying.  Had the right plane been chosen back in '91, I wonder if the F-23 would have enjoyed a longer operational life. It would have been prettier doing so, anyway.:p

Perhaps the YF-23 design will get a second chance at life in the 6th generation. It was certainly ahead of its time and Northrop could easily make improvements.

Edited by Shadow

• 2 weeks later...

Today's the 77th anniversary of the D-day Normandy invasion landings to retake Europe from the Third Reich. Here's some footage from the 75th anniversary cemetary flyover two years ago when they amassed quite a fleet of C-47/C-53/DC-3's to make the trip including one my brother helped get in flying order from Montana.

I don't think there has been that many Skytrain's in one place since the Korean war.

This weekend also marks the 79th anniversary of the Battle of Midway. Arguably one of if not the most important and decisive navy engagements of the entire war . In less than ten minutes the entire situation in the Pacific was reversed.

Here's a quick video from the WII In Real Time channel summing up the main part of the battle. If you want more details I suggest reading two books, Miracle at Midway by Gordon Prange for a US perspective, and Shattered Sword by Anthony Tully & Jonathon Parshall(the guy that runs the combined fleet website) for a more recent view using Japanese sources.

Edited by renegadeleader1

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I am so glad that video did not have a comical DRAMATIC MUSICAL SCORRRRRREEEEE to go along with it.

Where as I'm a little disappointed in that! lol :lol:

nothing like a comically dramatic score for a refueling drone.

I wonder how much fuel that thing can actually deliver to other birds... looks like it's about the physical volume of an entire Superbug, which is significant.

Edited by slide

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Osprey gets tough:

Is anybody else reminded of the Millennium Falcon in the Hoth escape?

I wasn't thinking of that, but now that you mention it...

Pretty darn cool how that thing retracts into the fuselage. Little safer than being a door gunner. Next thing you know, they'll be equipping this thing with a 105mm cannon like the gunships carry. Not sure if the Osprey could handle the recoil from that thing, though. The 40mm cannon would probably be ok. Nothing like mounting artillery on a hovering platform.

• 2 weeks later...