Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

The more and more I see of the SU-57 - and I'm fully prepared to find out its a mistaken impression - the more I think its essentially a souped-up SU-27, similar to all those "Silent Eagle" ideas that were flying around. If it turns out to be the next Firefox, fine, I'll eat my... urm... Dalek? :) 

3 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

The more and more I see of the SU-57 - and I'm fully prepared to find out its a mistaken impression - the more I think its essentially a souped-up SU-27, similar to all those "Silent Eagle" ideas that were flying around. If it turns out to be the next Firefox, fine, I'll eat my... urm... Dalek? :) 

It's a bit more than a souped up Su-27, for starters it has two internal weapon bays between the engine nacelles.  I also read somewhere that the US military suspects that it has targeting radar arrays on the sides of the cockpit aimed perpendicularly (spotted on the experimental models)—meaning it is a pretty lethal plane hunter that doesn't even have to turn to look at you in the eye.  Or something to that effect.

How many DCS players we have here?  I've been rocking the Tomcat and Hornet and Supercarrier since release. 

Didn't see this interview posted, but loved it.  So many great stories this guy has.  One of the VF-84 pilots from The Final Countdown.

Yeah that one is great. The Vulcan intercept is probably one of my favorite from that collection.  He needs to write a book or two and do a movie like Bio (I picked up his Tomcat RIO book, too. Great stuff there, too). 

I'm running a Samsung Odyssey+ which was a great deal at the time.  Built a new rig just for DCS (and Elite Dangerous) last year 9900k 32GB RAM and a 2070 (got tired of waiting for Ampere) and an nvme SSD to boot off of. Probably go to 3080 or maybe 3090 and 64GB in a refresh this year, though maybe next since everything is pretty smooth right now with almost everything high and pd1.3.  Finally retired the old Saitek X36 in favor of a VKB MCG Pro and a virpil throttle (the v3 of the bigger one).  I have one button box built and planning on a couple vertical panels which I'll start after I do an ejection seat cable.  

Been awhile, so I'm playing catch up. The vid with the guy flying his RC Flanker virtually from a cockpit view is pretty impressive. I kept waiting for him to do the cobra maneuver , but alas, he didn't. Still, that model flies well. The amount of thrust that those ducted fan engines can produce is pretty impressive.

The Su-57 is a pretty impressive bird, definitely inspired by the YF-23. Looks like the Russians aren't down with nixing the horizontal stabs and enclosing the exhaust like Northrop did with the YF-23. Funny how they only seem to concentrate on fuselage characteristics for stealth with little consideration for IR or radar return from the exhaust section.

21 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Been awhile, so I'm playing catch up. The vid with the guy flying his RC Flanker virtually from a cockpit view is pretty impressive. I kept waiting for him to do the cobra maneuver , but alas, he didn't. Still, that model flies well. The amount of thrust that those ducted fan engines can produce is pretty impressive.

The Su-57 is a pretty impressive bird, definitely inspired by the YF-23. Looks like the Russians aren't down with nixing the horizontal stabs and enclosing the exhaust like Northrop did with the YF-23. Funny how they only seem to concentrate on fuselage characteristics for stealth with little consideration for IR or radar return from the exhaust section.

That's because Stealth is really only useful for forward intercept.  Once you close with a target and get within range where you are into a "turning fight" the rear stealth characteristics are actually a hinderance.  The Russian's have been all about that close in fight design since the Su-27 and MiG-29 family of jets.  Yes, in a long range engagement, the F-22/F-35 have the advantage in stealth, but once you get in close, the Su-57 can outturn and outgun them.

It's definitely an unusual one.  Never saw the low viz tails with yellow markings.  I am kinda hoping for a late 80s with black tails and ochre radome. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

World's first supersonic unmanned combat drone

a plane flying in the sky: Singapore-based Kelley Aerospace has officially launched the world's first supersonic unmanned combat aerial vehicle

All we need now is a flyoff between competing variable fighters and a rogue AI named Sharon.;) Oh, and Yoko Kanno to write the theme music.

You need to add the word "combat" to your link ;)

the D-21 was an earlier supersonic unmanned drone, but it didn't do combat.

2 hours ago, slide said:

You need to add the word "combat" to your link ;)

the D-21 was an earlier supersonic unmanned drone, but it didn't do combat.

Ah man- egg on my face. I've seen that drone in person at the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in Oregon and at the AF Museum in Dayton, and I should have been more mindful. Thanks for pointing it out. Fixed.:good:

Edited by M'Kyuun