Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

18 minutes ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

IIRC the Banshees in Yukikaze had a nuclear reactor powering it.

and loitered about on an alien planet. who knows what other Sci-fi cheats they're using....

11 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

The question then becomes how you can physically maintain such a gargantuan monstrosity while in mid-flight, because if you don't have quadruple redundancy on pretty much everything, it's not going to stay in the air very long.

Not to mention how to get it up there in the first place...

Well well. Too bad aerodynamicists don’t get royalties. The basic 16 design has been through so many iterations they’d be rolling in loot if they did. 

Went on a work trip a few days ago flying out to Kansas City. The first aircraft I was on was your common CRJ. Speedy little thing. On the way back though, I was put on an MD-88 and seated in the back very close to the engine. Hearing the JT8D spooling up for the first time was an interesting treat.

Edited by Shadow

On 2/25/2019 at 9:47 PM, AN/ALQ128 said:

Indian Mirage 2000 fighters conducted air strikes into Pakistani-controlled areas.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/25/world/asia/india-pakistan-kashmir-jets.html

Things are really heating up over there.

Two IAF aircraft downed by Pakistani fighters, one Pakistani fighter reportedly downed by Indian forces.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/south-asia/indian-fighter-jets-intercept-pakistani-planes-in-kashmir

Looks like they are still keeping things under control with a limited engagement, let's hope this ends it.  It wasn't that clear to me if this happened during the Indian air strikes, or if the Pakistanis ambushed an Indian air patrol.  My sense is the latter.  The papers aren't laying out a good timeline of the incidents at this point.  

Anyway, hopping from one military subject to the next:

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/avalon/2019/02/27/boeing-unveils-loyal-wingman-drone/

I like this, it looks like soon we will have Lil' Drakens flying along side full Drakens.  It'll also be hilarious if this thing can be scaled down, and fitted inside the 747 carrier that the USAF had in mind back in the 70s.

I wonder though, if the idea of the loyal wingman is to protect logistical and support assets, how would they do that, would they act as some type of ECM platform, or would it be something else?

14 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Looks like they are still keeping things under control with a limited engagement, let's hope this ends it.  It wasn't that clear to me if this happened during the Indian air strikes, or if the Pakistanis ambushed an Indian air patrol.  My sense is the latter.  The papers aren't laying out a good timeline of the incidents at this point.  

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/avalon/2019/02/27/boeing-unveils-loyal-wingman-drone/

I like this, it looks like soon we will have Lil' Drakens flying along side full Drakens.  It'll also be hilarious if this thing can be scaled down, and fitted inside the 747 carrier that the USAF had in mind back in the 70s.

I wonder though, if the idea of the loyal wingman is to protect logistical and support assets, how would they do that, would they act as some type of ECM platform, or would it be something else?

These are basically the same concept as the Ghosts from Macross, and I love it.  I remember discussing this concept with multiple contractor engineers over the years, NG, LM, and Boeing.  Looks like Boeing beat them all to the punch.

Edited by Knight26

1 hour ago, Thom said:

That does sound pretty cool, but the realities must give some pause. Any system can be 'jacked. It would be a nightmare scenario to have your 'loyal' wingman lighting you up.

Hope they have a strong Judah System!

So that it'll betray them on the first chance the drone gets?   I know, I know, it's Judas, not Judah.  But it's hilarious how they picked the name.

And besides, the question is always going to be how connected are these drones.  You can imagine that they get hacked while on the ground, and turn in mid flight somewhere.  

4 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Can't wait until we can unleash the Judah System in a time of need :D

10 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

The planform is very reminiscent of the old JAST/JSF proposal from McDonnell Douglas.

USAF-JSF.jpg

22 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

So that it'll betray them on the first chance the drone gets?   I know, I know, it's Judas, not Judah.  But it's hilarious how they picked the name.

And besides, the question is always going to be how connected are these drones.  You can imagine that they get hacked while on the ground, and turn in mid flight somewhere.  

I'd be more concerned about the risk for mid-air collisions with friendly drones.  Granted, the combat spread of modern platforms is getting wider, but throwing AI-controlled players into the mix will clog the airspace fast, and those things will need to be interconnected to all friendly aircraft to prevent friendly fire incidents.

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'd be more concerned about the risk for mid-air collisions with friendly drones.

Part of Boeing and the USAFs research into the "loyal wingmen" concept includes the testing and refinement of autonomous deconfliction/collision avoidance software

www.f-16.net/forum/download/file.php?id=23061

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'd be more concerned about the risk for mid-air collisions with friendly drones.  Granted, the combat spread of modern platforms is getting wider, but throwing AI-controlled players into the mix will clog the airspace fast, and those things will need to be interconnected to all friendly aircraft to prevent friendly fire incidents.

I wonder how many of those drones will be directly controlled by the support assets.  They could put a station onto the E-3 or the KCs right? I wonder if there is some form of free space communications system when multiple autonomous drones are operating at once in the same region to deconflict flight paths or such.  But you know, the funny thing is, there is plenty of places to test this sort of stuff to prove things out. 

10 days until FULL 80'S MODE!