Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

http://defense-update.com/20160812_f35_thermal.html

This is interesting; apparently the F-35s IR stealth features are pretty damn good. Compare the interior bay doors and exterior bay doors in the image in that article during a vertical landing; the exhaust as you would expect is white hot as is the inner door but the outer door surface is much cooler (grey), whilst in the in-flight image there appears to be little difference between the airframe and the actual exhaust plume (!).

Note that these images were taken by a HD thermal-imaging camera, at short range (two - three miles at most) at an airshow during a pre-planned display. I recall seeing the B2 getting caught by a similar set-up a few years ago and I don't think anyones ever called that plane un-stealthy...

They are part of the Civil Engineering Squadrons. They are supposed to deal with bug and varmint problems on base. It took us a month to get them out to beal with our ant problem in the office back in 2011. Little buggers were making ainthills behind the office door near the wall.....right up through the slab.

Considering how thin the titanium heat shielding in most fighter engine bays are, I am not surprised by what LM has probably created for the F-35 in the terms of heat shielding. With ceramic coatings on the inside of the exhaust nozzles titanium turkey feathers (the nickname for the divergent and convergent flaps and seals that make up the exhaust nozzle) very little heat transfers through even on 4th gen fighters except on the exposed titanium surfaces of the nozzle. You can see it in this pic I took. If you look just above the stabilator in the pic you can see the inner seal is bright orange but the outer flaps aren't (you will have to click on the pic to get a closer view). I don't know how LM has this door coated but it works extremely well.

GE 132 burner run

Edited by grigolosi

Yep, the B and C use gunpods. The other good thing is the AIM-120D should be entering service around or alittle after the C enters active duty. I still hope they develop a true long-range interceptor missile, even if it has to be based on the current Standard Missile-3.

With the Phoenix no longer an option due to the F-14 retirement I don't know if we will see a new long range missile. The medium range missiles have been pushed to the fore front and no one seems to be too interested in the long range missile other than for ground attack. The AIM-7's are being phased out and replaced by the 120's and other newer more sophisticated medium range missiles.

Edited by grigolosi

I'm not sure how big a SM-3 is off the top of my head but fitment into internal weapon bays would probably be an issue? The almost off-the-shelf solution, as has already been mentioned, would be the Meteor, unless you're thinking of several hundred kilometres range by "long range"...?

BTW, grigolosi, forgot to say thanks for the F-16 engine test image/information.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

No problem, your more than welcome. I think the idea of hitting a target that far out has kind of moved to the back burner in missile development world also. The AIM-120 has exceeded the range of the AIM-7 by over 30 miles now. The operational range for the 120C is over 50 miles and the D is supposed to be at 97, damn near the range of a long range missile.

That is a good question Spanner, I have never looked for one. One of the few things I liked about Edwards AFB. At night you could see every star in the sky and the satellites as they passed over.

I'm with you on that. Now the B and C variants don't have an internal gun correct and require a gun-pod?

Chris

Somehow the F-35C not having an internal gun just seem so wrong. It's predecessors all had internal guns; The F-35A has an internal gun right? The only hope is that they replace the gun with actual lasers. Pew, pew, die, die.

If the US had picked the F-23, the T-50 would only be the second-sexiest plane flying now.

hence why I said "atm" hehe! yeah the F-23 was and still is the sexiest thing to ever grace the sky! :D

Is the T-50 operational yet?

Chris

no and not for a few years yet I think.. haven't heard much regarding where they are regarding its development but last I remember it won't be operational till 2020. That date could have changed but I wouldn't know.

If the US had picked the F-23, the T-50 would only be the second-sexiest plane flying now.

To be fair, LM were able to iron out a lot of the ugly from the YF-22 in its transition to the production F-22; but you're absolutely right, the YF-23 just looked right from the get-go and I can only imagine how gorgeous and deadly sexy a production version VF-23 would look.

Edited by mechaninac

VF-23? :D

Making it variable would have delayed service entry even longer than the F-35 took.

post-664-0-40505600-1471913724.gifOops!... Hilarious nonetheless; I'm just so used to typing that prefix on MW that I have to consciously prevent myself from doing it, but sometimes... :pardon:

I think the effective word for those surfaces would be rudderons since the whole surface moves. Those things have got to move that frame pretty quick in either direction considering how big they are,

Dobber, the last I read on them was that the engine development was still lagging, they were looking at 2017 for the first of the new engines being ready. The Indians were getting irritated since they were the primary partners in the endeavor to build it and had already placed an order for them. They are currently using AL-31's like the Sukhoi's are. That might explain why the Indian Air Force just ordered the Block 70 variant of the F-16 also.

VF-23? :D

Making it variable would have delayed service entry even longer than the F-35 took.

Perhaps we'll get in the 6th generation fighter as Northrop seems interested in using the YF-23 for inspiration on its next fighter, if it ever comes to fruition.

I had no idea the AIM-120D could reach out that far. I thought it's effective range was around 60-65nm where as the AIM-120C-7's range was around 35.

Also, I figure a long-range missile would need to be carried externally and if fitted to an F-22, would need a special pod that mounts to the wing to keep the Raptor's RCS down.

Edited by Shadow

I'm still the only person who doesn't like the YF-23 or the T-50 apparently. 5th generation fighters are just fugly.

you might actually be yes..

I'm going to be the odd one to think that the T-50 is way better looking than the YF-23!

I have to say they are both equally as beautiful in their own ways but for me what pushes the YF-23 that little bit further ahead is it still looks the more futuristic design! even after all these years!

is it a better/more effective design? possibly not considering its now approaching 30 years old but it still looks pretty darn fine!

is it a better/more effective design? possibly not considering its now approaching 30 years old but it still looks pretty darn fine!

I'm not sure if current gen fighters can even begin to approach exactly how stealthy and low-drag/fast the YF-23 was. The F-35 certainly can't, in any case. :p

Planes seen for the first time today (guess where I am!):

A-3 Skywarrior

RA-5C Vigilante

F2H Banshee

F3H Demon

F4D Skyray

F7U Cutlass

F7F Tigercat

F11F Tiger

F-35 Jayesseff

PS---the F3H and F4D are bigger than they look. Same goes for the F2H, really.

And ok, I'll admit, the -35 looks better and more F-22ish in real life.