Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

Hal9000... is the Red/White giant of a seaplane a Martin Mars?

Christ. I don't know what combat w/s means, but if T/W means thrust/weight, then the 15N with 6 tons of fuel and 4 Phoenix missiles had a ratio that still exceeded unity. It could go ballistic all bloody day, climb to 60,000 feet as though God Almighty was pulling it up. Wow.

Dry thrust on the F-15 is 64.9 kN (14k lbf) per engine. With AB it is 105.7 kN (23K lbf) each with the PW 220. But whoever did the schematic forgot that the frame weight would increase with the beefing up of both the frame and the gear to support a carrier landing. They only added in the weight of carrying 4 AIM-54's, so this would be a rough estimate of loaded T/O weight.

The F-15 is notorious for its FCF or vertical climb. It does go like a bat out of hell straight up due to the vari-ramps it uses on its intakes and the thrust put out by the twin engines.

That is a good question since everything I have looked at shows that they are launched by first dropping the missile and then the motor activates. It would have a hard time fitting properly onto the fuselage mount points intended for the AIM-7's and 120 because it uses hangars t mount it into its pylon on the Tomcat. Plus also what I reading, the AIM-54 when carried in large numbers (4-6) caused major stress on the F-14's frame. The F-15 uses plungers to push the AIM-7 away from the frame when it fires it. The plunger for an AIM-54 would be huge.

http://www.guampdn.com/story/news/2016/07/29/air-force-moving-b-1b-lancers-middle-east-guam/87693244/

It'll be a nice change of pace working the B-1Bs instead of the B-52s. Hopefully they will have better radios, as the BUFFs have the worst radios on any aircraft I have ever worked with. I wonder if this change over is related to the South China Sea situation.

More than likely it is. I know they are also using the BUFF's over Syria now also. They might be rotating them also to allow some much needed maintenance at home station to occur. Deployment maintenance does eventually have a bad effect on the aircraft. I am surprised to hear about the BUFF radio's. I work fighters so my knowledge of heavies is limited. Is it the requirements for maintenance ie. location within the frame or cockpit that make it bad or is it they are just not that reliable?

More than likely it is. I know they are also using the BUFF's over Syria now also. They might be rotating them also to allow some much needed maintenance at home station to occur. Deployment maintenance does eventually have a bad effect on the aircraft. I am surprised to hear about the BUFF radio's. I work fighters so my knowledge of heavies is limited. Is it the requirements for maintenance ie. location within the frame or cockpit that make it bad or is it they are just not that reliable?

I have no idea about the specifics of the BUFF's radios. I work Air Traffic, so I talk to them when they fly. I just assume maybe they are older technology that hasn't been upgraded as it works. The fighters that come through, their radios work very well. It may also be on out side too as our radio transmitters and receivers aren't in the most optimal location, according to the Techs anyway. Also, we come across the dreaded 7 engine emergency landing often, though that hasn't happened while I've been working this last rotation.

Edited by Smiley424

Hal9000... is the Red/White giant of a seaplane a Martin Mars?

Indeed it is.

A few more photos from the day, I didn't take many this year. But this year we got to see the snowbirds and man they were amazing.

Points to anyone who can tell me what's wrong with the row of "Zeros" ;)

post-7418-0-51503700-1470057759_thumb.jpeg

post-7418-0-32771500-1470057780_thumb.jpeg

post-7418-0-95566100-1470057802_thumb.jpeg

post-7418-0-92198300-1470057827_thumb.jpeg

post-7418-0-37628300-1470057913_thumb.jpeg

post-7418-0-71343400-1470057932_thumb.jpeg

post-7418-0-12876100-1470057950_thumb.jpeg

post-7418-0-61680100-1470057986_thumb.jpeg

post-7418-0-46348300-1470058051_thumb.jpeg

Edited by hal9000

Wow, that's awesome, truly. I especially like that Aleutian Tiger.

As for the Zeroes... well, what's RIGHT about them? Shorter list.

But hey, it's still cool to see and it must make those AT-6 pilots happy, so more power to 'em. Having a true Zero-Sen flying would probably be damn expensive from the insurance alone!

Guessing they're the disguised Texans that were used in "Tora Tora Tora!" and "Pearl Harbour"?

We have a winner. If you squint real hard they look like a Zero. ^_^

Last year was worse, there was actually a real zero. It was so cool to see.

The AIM-54 used a special pylon for for fuselage attachment. It was also more aerodynamic partially covering the front of the Phoenix. The AIM 7's simply mount in to the recesses on the frame and the 2 upper fins are mounted through an opening in the fuselage that has a split cover that closes over it when the missile is not loaded there like on the F-15 fuselage mount. The F-4's mounted the AIM-7 the same way. It could actually carry another 2, they would be mounted on the bottom of the wing glove pylon. Here is a couple of pics of the pylons.

images

images

Edited by grigolosi

We have a winner. If you squint real hard they look like a Zero. ^_^

Last year was worse, there was actually a real zero. It was so cool to see.

Thanks, though I suspect its the time difference between me and the US that probably got me in before anyone else! :) I remember seeing "Tora Tora Tora!" and wondering where the heck they got the Zeroes from. Some time later, I was walking past the movie poster for "Pearl Harbour" which had a head-on shot of a Japanese aeroplane on the attack and thinking "Hmm, somethings off there... " which prompted me to look it up and thats when I learned about the "Zeroes in Disguise!".

I have seen a real, non-flying, Zero at the Science Museum in Ueno, Tokyo. Apparently its an extremely rare two-seat conversion.

Didn't know the F-14s underside could accommodate 4 AIM-7s. I always thought it was configured for the AIM-54 specifically or other heavy munitions.

Tomcat-break-away.jpg

That pic shows the equally rare 4 AIM-9's option as well. This as close as a Tomcat gets to a dogfight config.

in Macross Zero, Shin was rocking 6 AMRAAMs and a pair of sidewinders, wasn't he?

that's a cool pic, I've never seen a tomcat with that 4 and 4 combo.

This is a link to the online Q&A done with a Tomcat pilot and he does touch on the Tomcat 21 a few times. It's lengthy but an interesting read. The folks asking the questions are primarily flight simmers so excuse some of the stranger questions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/4u84dc/im_a_former_f14bd_and_fa18f_pilot_ama/

The most interesting point I found made about the F-14, especially the D was that it didn't require support infrastructure. I can only imagine that the Tomcat 21 would have just amplified those capabilities.

Also, on F-35 news.

USAF declares F-35A ready for limited combat
  • 03 August, 2016
  • BY: Leigh Giangreco
  • Washington DC

Five years after the projected initial operational capability (IOC) date, the Air Force has declared the first 15 Lockheed Martin F-35As assigned to the 34th Fighter Squadron at Hill AFB are capable of performing a basic set of combat missions.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/usaf-declares-f-35a-ready-for-limited-combat-428138/

Edited by Shadow

Thanks, though I suspect its the time difference between me and the US that probably got me in before anyone else! :) I remember seeing "Tora Tora Tora!" and wondering where the heck they got the Zeroes from. Some time later, I was walking past the movie poster for "Pearl Harbour" which had a head-on shot of a Japanese aeroplane on the attack and thinking "Hmm, somethings off there... " which prompted me to look it up and thats when I learned about the "Zeroes in Disguise!".

I have seen a real, non-flying, Zero at the Science Museum in Ueno, Tokyo. Apparently its an extremely rare two-seat conversion.

I saw a flying A6M2 at the airshow at Hill AFB back in 04'. It was awesome to watch. The Naval Air Museum at Pensacola has one on display also, I can't remember which type it was, I think it was a Type 11. Now here is a pic of an extremely rare bird in flight.............

Ki-43 and P-40....

Speaking of rare birds, I believe the aviation museum in my area(Hamilton Aviation Museum) has one of the only two airworthy lancasters in the world. I remember seeing that one, as well as the one at the RAF museum London.

yes, the Andrew Mynarski(VC) Memorial Lancaster lives at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton.

I've been, it's an outstanding museum.

and the Lanc is beautiful. I was lucky enough to go on a day when they were running her engines... 4 RR-Merlins at once... a gorgeous symphony of power!

Seems like we are gonna buy a few dozen of these.

646.jpg

Most likely to use against small airplanes that carry drugs on the north part of the country. Brazil had very good experience using the Tucanos on that type of missions.

The first article I saw on that was posted to some of the aircraft pages on FB. It passed it's IOT&E back in June.

http://www.acc.af.mil/AirCombatCommandsF-35AProgram.aspx

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/pentagon-admits-no-f-35-iote-until-2018-uss-john-paul-jones-validates-aegis-mrbm-tracking-chinese-not-keen-on-us-supplying-tomahawks-to-japan-033848/

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/air-space/2016/05/24/final-f-35-testing-slips-2018/84885820/

IOT&E won't be until 2018 at this point due to retrofits and the upcoming 3F software drop. IOC was declared due to an IRA (Interim Readiness Assessment), basically this clears the aircraft to start dropping munitions on ranges and going to Red Flag. But the plane is still not cleared for full operation.

Edited by Knight26

Most likely to use against small airplanes that carry drugs on the north part of the country. Brazil had very good experience using the Tucanos on that type of missions.

Super cool looking little planes.

I think Brazil makes the Super Tucanos. I like the design, kind of like a modern take on the P-51 Mustangs.

646.jpg