Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

The only remaining XB-70 was towed into her new home last week at the National Air Force Museum near Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Oh.

I was there a couple years ago, and unfortunately, due to budget sequestration and space limitations, a number of aircraft were not available for public viewing, including the YF-23, JFK's modified Boeing 707 Air Force One, and the XB-70. They recently completed a new hangar, and this video shows the Valkyrie being towed in. Still a majestic bird. Watching that tow team gives me a warm-fuzzy. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to return in a another year or two- definitely recommend to anyone remotely interested in aircraft, USAF history, or just aviation in general.

Reaction Engines has received funding from the British government and purchase of a stake by BAE for development of its advanced SABRE engine, which could be used to power the proposed "Skylon" space plane.Obviously very early days (anyone else remember HOTOL?), but just maybe the UK will start taking a lead in aerospace technology again...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34694935

The idea of another space race is romantic, and competition does certainly motivate and incite inventiveness, but of all human endeavors, I wish space was a truly Human Endeavor...all the nations, tribes, and peoples of the world, regardless of ideologies, ethnicities, religions-regardless of the differences that have served to divide us throughout history- would come together in this single pursuit: to create a global space agency dedicated solely to research, exploration, science, and technology to the benefit, and hopefully betterment, of man as a species, and to ultimately remove our sole reliance on this one planet for the survival of our species and culture.

But in the meantime, yeah, it'd be good to see the UK involved in the space venture.

Grigolosi, thanks for your service. I was a bubble chaser for 15 yrs, and worked in the MOC for 5. Fun while it lasted, but I'm glad I'm done. No more hydro stains to wash out. :lol:

Has anyone sat down and assessed the ridiculous design of the Skylon? Just from looking at it, it appears that there are some obvious points of concern:

1) Those tiny wings and canards are supposed to generate enough lift to pick up that vehicle, it's enormous fuel payload, and the several tons of payload in the bay?

2) Undersized vertical tail and rudder are supposed to provide enough yaw authority to handle unusual aerodynamic loads and high-crosswind landing conditions?

3) Despite the use of canards, I still think that the wings are going to have to produce a significant offsetting pitching moment to counter the forward-leaning CG.

The Sabre engines are very interesting and I hope that they succeed on that point. However, the Skylon just looks like it will never fly in its current state.

I haven's heard Bubble chaser used in quite a while M'Kyunn. i know what you mean by washing out stains though. Now I am still washing out Moly B and 7808 oil stains but over in the UAE. Thank you for your service also.

On another note: Frothy you would be surprised how much lift those wings will generate. Look at the F-104, that bird had one of the smallest wingspans on a supersonic aircraft. Its wings generated enough lift to get it off the ground pretty quick. As long as the Skylon isn't required to make extreme maneuvers the wings will probably work very well.

On another note: Frothy you would be surprised how much lift those wings will generate. Look at the F-104, that bird had one of the smallest wingspans on a supersonic aircraft. Its wings generated enough lift to get it off the ground pretty quick. As long as the Skylon isn't required to make extreme maneuvers the wings will probably work very well.

Speaking of Lockheed, the Skylon concepts remind me a lot of Lockheed's Project Suntan proposal, CL-400-10. Admittedly, they are both very simple aerodynamic shapes - I'm not suggesting any shared lineage.

UUUGgggg a Lysander......just give me a sheet and let me jump off the roof ( the yellow bird behind him at the beginning of the video). The tail gunner position was the worst spot for the crewman on the Lancaster. The Luftwaffe pilots would go after it on the their inital pass and since there was no armor the fatality rate was rather high. The Lancaster had very little armor compared to the American bombers also. But it could haul one hell of a load for its time because of that.

Part of the reason for that bombload is that the Lancasters fuselage was pretty much all bomb bay, which was why it could carry 12,000lb and 22,000lb bombs later in the war. The B-17, I understand, had a structural member going across and through the fuselage, which restricted the size of its bomb bay. Plus, y'know, all those .50 calibre guns and stuff... :)

Of course, because of the Lancaster virtually no-one knows the Handley-Page Halifax...

Or the Short Stirling. But yes, the B-17, at least from the E model onwards, was built incredibly strongly, given a large amount of armor plates, and literally bristled with.50 calibers. All that meant a reduced bomb load. But it also meant more 17s got back home to England.

Well you could use it as a really really powerful leaf blower. That is what Jeremy Clarkson told his town council when they asked why he had an old BAE Electric fighter sitting in his front yard in England. he told them it was for blowing leaves out the yard.

220px-EE_Lightning_F6_XS904_BQ_%28717312

Well you could use it as a really really powerful leaf blower. That is what Jeremy Clarkson told his town council when they asked why he had an old BAE Electric fighter sitting in his front yard in England. he told them it was for blowing leaves out the yard.

220px-EE_Lightning_F6_XS904_BQ_%28717312

Just being a pedant, but English Electric Lightning. I think towards the end of its life it did become the BAE Lightning though.

I'm trying to understand why GE is once again thinking that "bigger is better". Didn't they have airframe integration issues with the GE90-115B? You can only go so large on the fan radius before the engine risks striking the ground on takeoff or landing.

I'm trying to understand why GE is once again thinking that "bigger is better". Didn't they have airframe integration issues with the GE90-115B? You can only go so large on the fan radius before the engine risks striking the ground on takeoff or landing.

maybe the core section is larger but the size of the main fan will remain the same? Or is this engine slated for the 777X which I think was meant to get a new wing design which might have changed to accommodate a slightly larger engine perhaps? all guesses of course..

well there you go.. quoted from the 777 wiki page.. as reliable as this information may be of course..

"Boeing announced the development of upgraded 777-8X and 777-9X models, collectively named 777X, featuring composite wings and GE9X engines and further technologies developed for the 787. The 777X series is planned to enter service by 2020."

Edited by spanner76

The GE90 is the most powerful jet turbine in the world. It's also the largest. That's not likely a coincidence. Of course, based on what the man was saying, I'd believe the low-pressure fan would stay close to the same size while the high pressure sections are enlarged for various reasons. For example, the high pressure turbine and compressor have been limited in size by materials strength, but if they were larger they could make more power and achieve greater fuel efficiency. Newer, stronger materials could help in that way, and the engine would be larger, even if the high-bypass fan on the front stayed the same size.

It's my understanding the GE9X is basically exclusively designed for the 777X, which has as-yet unannounced design changes which could more easily accommodate even a larger-diameter engine. Boeing has really gone whole hog on this -8 program. Yellowstone keeps going over budget and falling behind schedule, so I guess I can understand the stop-gap measures. Of course, I can't say I even want to see the 747 and 777 replaced by new aircraft anyway. It's always a little magical for me to watch one land here at D/FW, in a way that the A380 just doesn't quite match. I dunno, maybe I'm just biased from when my dad worked for Boeing.