Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

Watching the documentry the pilots said they had trouble landing the enlarged wing version due to the extra thrust at idle and the enormous amount of lift those larger wings produced! She just didn't want to stop flying!

The "B" variant is definitely my fav though! Love the more conventional style cockpit over the original "bubble dome" style..

I went and bought Just Flights Canberra PR9 for FSX and its just beautiful!

Martin_B-57B_Night_Intruder.jpg

Edited by spanner76

The Castle AFB Museum in Atwater CA has one on display with the original off-set bubble dome canopy. It definitely throws you off when you look at it form the front.

Edited by grigolosi

• 3 weeks later...

Their original paint scheme was better. Their current one is just "QANTAS, but in purple".

You're right about the new paint scheme looking a little Qantas'y but I still rather like the newer paint job too.

But yeah the old scheme was nice! Especially on the right bird! In this case a beautiful DC-10! The Swan Of The Skies!

dc10fede.jpg

Lockheed-Martin have flown the F-16V, which I understand is for Taiwan (and also, obviously, for all the current F-16 users looking to upgrade at some point, and y'know, possibly just in case the entire internet turns out to be right about one of Lockheed-Martins other little aircraft projects... :) ). It has an AESA radar and electronics upgrades.

We are having issues right now with them. They are popping engine MFL's due to spiderweb cracking between the aeration cooling holes on the HPT blades due to the higher heat of the engine.

Lockheed-Martin have flown the F-16V, which I understand is for Taiwan (and also, obviously, for all the current F-16 users looking to upgrade at some point, and y'know, possibly just in case the entire internet turns out to be right about one of Lockheed-Martins other little aircraft projects... :) ). It has an AESA radar and electronics upgrades.

They forgot to add some visual perks for the upgraders...

2015_F16V_FF_1269967624_6606.jpg

Are those meant as upgrade packages for the F-16 Taiwan already has? because the US has been dragging it's heals going back to 2000 about supplying new up to date F-16.

That's not a delta, it's a cranked arrow! 😉

Great, great airplane there. I just wanna take it and throw it in a darkened hangar with an F-22 for a few days with some romantic music and see what results. It'd be epic.

Edited by Sildani

yes that is correct it is a cranked arrow layout but still a delta wing..

That's not a delta, it's a cranked arrow!

Great, great airplane there. I just wanna take it and throw it in a darkened hangar with an F-22 for a few days with some romantic music and see what results. It'd be epic.

Would definitely be interesting to see what their babies be like! :D

Edited by spanner76

The AESA package is an upgrade module. They can swap out the existing APG radar for the AESA now without having to mount a secondary ECS system and PAO coolant system. All the cooling is run from the packages internal sealed system. The damn PAO system on the block 60 has a nasty habit of leaking through the intake. It looks like some one was in the intake drinking mountain dew and decided to pour a trickle of it down the intake. I like the way they painted over the Taiwanese markings in the picture. I forgot they were still building A model frames. The vertical stab has the older style "skinny" fairing on it.

yes that is correct it is a cranked arrow layout but still a delta wing..

Would definitely be interesting to see what their babies be like! :D

That's not a delta, it's a cranked arrow! 😉

fb_22___royal_australian_air_force_by_je

Ace Combat answered that for us over a decade ago. Next question.

I remember seeing a delta winged F-22 several years ago. I think it was in Popular Mechanics, not too sure at the moment. But they did speculate about a delta winged FB-22. Big bomb payload, no vertical stabilizers, broad delta wings...

Close to this,

1389382046loadout_fb-22c.jpg

That is a drag chute on the back of the F-16 fairing. Quite a few countries use them. As for the FB-22, Spanner is correct. That was a picture run in Popular mechanics years back about a proposal to turn the 22 into a bomber. They also had pictures of a 2 seat version for training purposes that never made it to production (imagine that). The stealth level on the current 22 is already incredible, I can't imagine what level it would be at without the verticals on it. Got to see 4 of them in the pattern yesterday coming in for a landing.

Ahhh yes I remember this! Quite an interesting redesign of the F22. And has divertless intakes similar to the F35. Wonder how it would've performed both in stealth and speed!?

I know the Chines are sticking them on every new fighter they are building Chines netizens are gushing over DSI's like some Golden Calf.

I question the DSI worth in High Mack number aircraft because the Russian did not equip the T-50 (PAKFA) with them.

Edited by miles316

And the winner of the LRSB selection is... Northrop-Grumman!

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/2015/10/27/northrop-grumman-wins-usaf-bomber-contract/74661394/

No details of the design yet, but its speculated to be based on the B-2... unless of course, NGs real plan is to secretly revive the YF-23 via the backdoor... :)

A YF-23 with 172 ft wingspan? Bring it on. ^_^

And the winner of the LRSB selection is... Northrop-Grumman!

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/2015/10/27/northrop-grumman-wins-usaf-bomber-contract/74661394/

No details of the design yet, but its speculated to be based on the B-2... unless of course, NGs real plan is to secretly revive the YF-23 via the backdoor... :)

I always did enjoy their work. Good for them! ^_^