Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

Any movies that feature either a F-22 or a F-35 firing its guns (or, more correctly, gun) - the most recent offender being "Avengers: Assemble!" - they never get the location or number of fitted guns right.

I enjoyed your long list of movie/TV fakes and mistakes. This line took me right back to Top Gun, and something that's always bugged me in it. When the "MiG-28" F-5s in that film fire their negative scratches - I mean guns - they come out of the wing roots instead of the nose. I've never been able to decide if that's better or worse than having them come from the right place for the real aircraft, given the trickery involved in their identity. I also get a kick out of how the movie mixes one- and two-seaters without regard to tactical likelihood or scene continuity, and how the aggressors in the main part of the film exclusively fly A-4s so that we never see a "MiG" in their hands.

Better than some recent big budget blockbuster movie where the F-22s fire out of their intakes! (can't remember which one - too busy rolling my eyes :p)

I enjoyed your long list of movie/TV fakes and mistakes. This line took me right back to Top Gun, and something that's always bugged me in it. When the "MiG-28" F-5s in that film fire their negative scratches - I mean guns - they come out of the wing roots instead of the nose. I've never been able to decide if that's better or worse than having them come from the right place for the real aircraft, given the trickery involved in their identity. I also get a kick out of how the movie mixes one- and two-seaters without regard to tactical likelihood or scene continuity, and how the aggressors in the main part of the film exclusively fly A-4s so that we never see a "MiG" in their hands.

Thanks! "Top Gun", from memory is a bit odd - IIRC, the same footage is used for the guns firing of both the MiG-28s and the F-14s, and neither has the gun in the right place - however, I don't have the movie to hand to check that. I recall its depicted as a gatling gun in both cases, and although the Russians did have gatling guns on some aircraft, its more likely it would have been using the twin-barrel 23mmm or single barrel 30mm...

Another thing about the F-35; when its depicted, its also almost always the "B" variant - which seems to be a trend in US productions in general actually; when military stuff is going down ("military" in this context being Alien Invasion/Giant Robots Attack/GODZILLA!), the Marines always seem to be the only branch of the US armed forces in existence...

One film that did get gun locations right was "Independence Day", with its heavy featuring of the F-18; but thats strange in its own right as the F-18s gun location is a bit weird (centre-mounted on the nose) so you would think if they were going to get anything wrong...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

The B-25's from the movie Pearl Harbor annoy me. The ones used in the actual Doolittle raid were "B" models and didn't have the gunpods attached to the cockpits side untill the much later "G" model onwards. They also didn't have a tail gunner position.

I can understand there not being any "B" variants still flying and needing to use a later model stand in, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that the movie used the historically nonexistant gunpods as part of the plot where redneck number 1 strafes the ground to save redneck number 2.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Thanks! "Top Gun", from memory is a bit odd - IIRC, the same footage is used for the guns firing of both the MiG-28s and the F-14s, and neither has the gun in the right place - however, I don't have the movie to hand to check that. I recall its depicted as a gatling gun in both cases, and although the Russians did have gatling guns on some aircraft, its more likely it would have been using the twin-barrel 23mmm or single barrel 30mm...

Didn't the real MiG-31 have a super fast Gatling?

The MiG-31 had a six-barrel 23mm gatling, which did have a very high rate of fire (up to 10,000 rounds a minute!) They also tried the Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-30 on the MiG-27, which had a reputation for shaking the aircraft to bits from the recoil force!

I don't recall that, but I remember seeing the poster which featured one of those bombers and thinking "Hmm, something about that plane doesn't look right." Later found out that was because it was a disguised different aircraft, authentic Japanese torpedo bombers from that era being just a touch difficult to find... :)

Probably one of the disguised AT-6s that were originally made for "Midway." Those have been in loads of movies, and on the airshow circuit as well. All things considered, I think the creators did an amazing job on the likeness.

Oh, you got me there and were too nice to say so - "Tora Tora Tora" was the film those Zero and Val mockups were made for, and "Midway" just re-used some of the footage.

Another military fake (albeit not a plane) that had me fooled was the mockup Panzer III featured in "Resistance."

• 3 weeks later...

WTF no P-38 Lightning or P-80 Shooting Star they where the most significant planes from the Skunk works before the U-2 and why is the C-130 did the Kelly Johnson design it one weekend when bored

WTF no P-38 Lightning or P-80 Shooting Star they where the most significant planes from the Skunk works before the U-2 and why is the C-130 did the Kelly Johnson design it one weekend when bored

The P-38, though designed by Johnson, was not a Skunk Works project. The department that would become known as the Skunk Works was first created to design the XP-80 (and largely disbanded for almost a decade after doing so, so even treating it as a continuous entity is problematic).

Pipedream says it all. The best of 50's aerodynamics today! Those Iroquois III engines alone would take years and many millions to perfect.

I went to the New England Air Museum today and got the pleasure to sit inside "FiFi" the last flightworthy B-29 in existance that they hosted at nearby Bradley Airport. They also had a SB2C Helldiver. Unfortunately the rain was bad so they were grounded. No ride alongs. :(

I'll have picture at some point.

Fifi usually parks at the Cavanaugh Museum here in Addison, but it's never been parked while I've been available to look at it. Last I saw her, she was still at the Commemorative Air Force museum. I bet if I caught her at Cavanaugh they'd let me take a look inside; my dad used to work for Jim Cavanaugh, and the guys all know about my grandpa's work with C-121 Constellations. Actually, one time a B-17 touched down at the municipal airport down the street from my house and they were more than happy to let us aboard to take pictures because they knew my grandpa by name.

The restoration aviation world is a small one indeed.

Those are old photos the hanger has since colapsed destroying the Buran.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/11/remembering-buran-shuttles-estranged-soviet-cousin/

Actually Miles that is the other Buran, the one that actually flew. these are the other two, one of which was just a test shape, like the Pathfinder orbiter at Space Camp.