Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

Could be various lighting in pictures perhaps. I will say one thing, what a frakking shame that plane is just wasting away outdoors, should be properly displayed in a museum. All that time, money & effort it deserves better than that.

The grey YF-23 is the exact same colors (and similar pattern) as your standard Ghost Grey 1980's F-15. FS36320 blotches over a FS36375 base.

The Northrop-McDonnell YF-23 used F-15 cockpit, F-15 nose gear, F-18 main gear, and most of the basic internals (hydraulics, pneumatics) etc were fairly standard F-15/F-18 parts. It was basically a McDonnell plane in a Northrop shell. And also painted in the standard F-15/F-18 colors at the time. :)

They have their YF-23 parked right under/in front of the XB-70. That's just an insane amount of awesomeness there. That spot alone is equal to most entire museum's worth of aviation coolness.

I think the intake lips of that -23 kit are pretty off. The lower lip should be well aft of the upper edge. The outer edge should be well aft of the inner edge. And the whole lip should be more angular/crisp, not nearly as rounded/blended as they have it. It really should look like someone "hacked" it into shape, rather than "carving" it into shape, if that makes any sense.

It's like they did a "subtle" version of the -23's intakes, minimising all the changes/differences from a "straight, basic, aligned" intake. Everything should be "more"----more angles, more changes, more slope.

• 3 weeks later...

lol at the stock Top Gun footage.

Always loved the Kfir. While I'm not certain if it could be done, I wonder why IAI never tried putting a P&W F100 into the Kfir. Would make a big jump in the power to weight ratio over what the J79 provides.

Edited by Shadow

lol at the stock Top Gun footage.

Always loved the Kfir. While I'm not certain if it could be done, I wonder why IAI never tried putting a P&W F100 into the Kfir. Would make a big jump in the power to weight ratio over what the J79 provides.

Primary reason, it won't fit. The F-100 is a shorter, wider engine, while the J79 is thin and quite long. There was testing early in the F-16 program where they put J79 into an F-16 as a just in case type measure.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, go back and build more F-23s. :D

Then you won't get as good of an air show demo with all the unnecessary thrust vectoring awesomeness. You'll have the Russians chirping about how their planes can fly backwards. :p

In all seriousness, I'd love to see the F-23 revived as an interdiction fighter/bomber (Strike Eagle replacement). Probably the only realistic role it could fill now if ever brought back which will never happen.

Edited by Shadow

• 2 weeks later...

Because Northrop was going for stealth above most all other considerations.

So does that mean :

1. The F22/T50/J20 have thinner wings? OR

2. The YF-23 in sacrificing those huge actuators, have lower deflection rates on the control surfaces?

I mean, The teen series dont have those bumps either, so do they (the the teen series) have thicker wings or is there something inherent in the stealth shaped wing which neccesitates having those bulges?

Is it possible to get rid of the bulges on the F-22 if one were to settle for slower deflection rates on the control surfaces?

Thanks for any answers in advance. I am quite curious on this subject for some time.

Honestly I really can't explain the large actuators----AFAIK the F-22 has a relatively thick wing, for fuel capacity. (and so many 1980+ designs are supercritical anyways)

Deflection rate is rarely an issue----even airliners can move their massive ailerons in the blink of an eye when they want to, with totally internal actuators.

Honestly I really can't explain the large actuators----AFAIK the F-22 has a relatively thick wing, for fuel capacity. (and so many 1980+ designs are supercritical anyways)

Deflection rate is rarely an issue----even airliners can move their massive ailerons in the blink of an eye when they want to, with totally internal actuators.

HWHAT!! You can't explain an aviation topic!?!?!? THE END IS NIGH!

Carlo Kopp has a tendency to overhype up the capabilities of Sukhoi fighters. He is not exactly the most credible source (to put it mildly).

Yeah, I saw who wrote the article, the first mention of F-35 and knew sort of where the article is going.

Then he goes on to hype theoretical future capabilities for the PAK-FA to futher stack the deck against the JSF.