Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

The problem with the "jokes" in that comic are they are mostly a bit of a stretch to make fit even with the requisite knowledge, and none of them funny.

The concept could be good, as certain planes could easily be turned into believable characters, but the execution on this one seems, to me at least, mostly a mess.

I saw this on tumblr today. Anybody know anything about it?

In case there was any doubt: 100% photoshop. Looks like a YF-12 that's been mirrored and had something a bit... ridiculous... done in the middle. **Always** check the shadows ;) The vertical stabilizer on the right, as viewed, does not have the same light source as the other two stabilizers.

Tarangus+Viggen+(19).jpg

We may finally get a good 1/48 kit of the mighty Viggen from swedish kit makers Tarangus. A CAD preview can be found here:

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/08/attention-viggen-lovers-we-have-latest.html

HLJ has it for preorder with an Ocotber release date.

http://www.tarangus.se/

Anybody want a used Tornado?

Awww man, those look like ADV versions, too. :(

Anyways:

F-117-25.jpg

We may finally get a good 1/48 kit of the mighty Viggen from swedish kit makers Tarangus. A CAD preview can be found here:

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/08/attention-viggen-lovers-we-have-latest.html

HLJ has it for preorder with an Ocotber release date.

http://www.tarangus.se/

The CAD looks wrong for a JA37. The JA is the stretch, and that CAD looks to have the original fuselage length. While the stretch wasn't very big, it's obvious if you know where to look due to its location and alignment with the wing/canard junction. An "ultimate" Viggen kit by a Swedish company should do it right, and not "genericize" the two versions to use the same fuselage.

Radar absorbancy is dependent on coatings and possibly construction materials, it has little to do with looks. I believe you are referring to Radar Cross-Section (RCS) and even then it is mute to argue how 'stealthy' an aircraft is. All stealth aircraft can be detected one way or another, it all depends on the tradeoffs you want.

I was referring directly to radar-absorbent surface coatings, which this plane completely lacks.

You also have to remember that 051 is a strictly flight test bird for testing the flight dynamics of the aircraft. Russians work in an itterative process with each prototype testing another aspect of the design and eventually incorporating all of them.

I was referring directly to radar-absorbent surface coatings, which this plane completely lacks.

Many claim the Russians have been developing a system since the late 80's for generating a layer of Ionised gas over the airframe that is supposedly able to absorbed RADAR waves without the need for Finicky RAM coatings.

It is an interesting plane to be sure, and would make a nice economic boost. Thing is, since it is a two seater I could see it as a trainer as well, something of a T-37 replacement. It is not fast enough for a T-38 replacement. Though a new wing and afterburning engines might make it a viable replacement for the T-38 as well.

I half wonder why they don't just build back up assembly lines for the T-38, and keep making it. The financial side of things can get tricky though, so who knows. If they had to reverse engineer everything to make the tooling for more of them, that might wind up being more costly than designing a new aircraft from scratch with current manufacturing techniques in mind.

Though, even if they have to start over, it seems like they could save some time and effort by using the same base design.