Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

The F-2 is designed for a heavy anti-ship role (the standard F-16 has almost no capability there) so I assume it's "ocean-colored".

I figured it was sea camo, but that's an extremely vibrant, rich blue for blending into the ocean/sky.

Here's a few pictures I took at the Paris Airshow last weekend. I'm a total novice to photography and most of the time I forgot to adjust the speed or the framing so most pics have been thrashed, these are the crippled survivors :

creepy Drones

Drone1_zps2f9910b3.jpg

Drone2_zps5040b4ed.jpg

the ugly Eurofighter

Tornado_zps2bad1a4d.jpg

the sexy Sukhoi Su-35

Sukhoi2_zpsc4994585.jpg

Sukhoi1_zpsb46bd6fc.jpg

weathering on the Jaguar

Jaguar1_zpsec5d4cce.jpg

Jaguar2_zps8847c0ab.jpg

a Rafale

Rafale1_zps8616d239.jpg

Amidala's P-38

P-38_zpsa3b8c9ed.jpg

trying to take an artsy pic and failing miserably

Trainer_zps5c867a64.jpg

russian copter with coaxial rotor

HeliRuss_zps1387671a.jpg

flight demos

Rafale2_zpsb3e0679e.jpg

Patrouille2_zpsb034a00b.jpg

Patrouille_zps0c121d7e.jpg

Sukhoi3_zpsf0c642a7.jpg

Sukhoi4_zps0e7f6c63.jpg

Sukhoi6_zps6b4f2d42.jpg

Edited by Frogze

when the 'cobra' just doesn't kick enough ass? :blink:

83379155.gif

Yep I can see this in the new Top Gun movie.

What are you doing? You're slowing down, you're slowing down!

I'm bringing him in closer, Merlin.

You're gonna do what?

I'm going to pull up and spin around 360, he'll fly right by and crap his pants at what an awesome pilot I am.

Yep I can see this in the new Top Gun movie.

What are you doing? You're slowing down, you're slowing down!

I'm bringing him in closer, Merlin.

You're gonna do what?

I'm going to pull up and spin around 360, he'll fly right by and crap his pants at what an awesome pilot I am.

And promptly gets blown up by a missile with higher kinetic energy with a proximity fuse.

And promptly gets blown up by a missile with higher kinetic energy with a proximity fuse.

"That was some of the best flying I've seen to date - right up to the part where you got killed."

Jester from Top Gun

Edited by Vifam7

Thanks Electric Indigo, it is a YAK-130 just as Bri said. The weapon display arround it made me think of those Bandai Super Parts pics actually. The Sukhoi did some really impressive maneuvers, in comparison the Rafale's demo was pretty straightforward and there's little doubt about who would have won in a dogfight situation

Dogfight is not about fancy maneuvers...it's about who has the higher initiative and more kinetic energy. The only advantage you have doing flips and cobras is to point your nose at the adversary with high instantaneous turn rates but even then your missile will not be in its optimum kinetic envelope if you launch it at 150mph. With current boresight helmets and all aspect seekers it's not really an advantage anymore. Even the ruskies themselves admitted that these are mainly for airshows and is not really an integral part of their WVR merge training for active frontline units(as opposed to test and stunt pilots).

Edited by raptormesh

Dogfight is not about fancy maneuvers...it's about who has the higher initiative and more kinetic energy. The only advantage you have doing flips and cobras is to point your nose at the adversary with high instantaneous turn rates but even then your missile will not be in its optimum kinetic envelope if you launch it at 150mph. With current boresight helmets and all aspect seekers it's not really an advantage anymore. Even the ruskies themselves admitted that these are mainly for airshows and is not really an integral part of their WVR merge training for active frontline units(as opposed to test and stunt pilots).

This is why it's funny reading all the fanboy comments about the Flanker being the best fighter in the world because of these airshow maneuvers.

This is why it's funny reading all the fanboy comments about the Flanker being the best fighter in the world because of these airshow maneuvers.

The Flanker is the best fighter in the world because it wins all the beauty contests.

Hell yeah, my buddy who manages a Hobby shop in LA told me this a few months ago and I so going to get one when its released, love the YF-23. He told me its going to be a very detailed kit, maybe not Hasegawa but very close!

I'd rather have a proper 1/72 kit; it's such a big bird with pretty plain surfaces. But maybe I fall when I see the first builds of the 1/48.

Mechaninac, I've heard about some bad apples in the Hobby Boss range, but I built their 1/72 Rafale and it was Hasegawa quality.

5513135232_e36fc2b7a1_z.jpg

Generally, I don't "do" 1/48. But for the coolest plane ever*, I'll make an exception. Also, it's got about the easiest paint job there is. Flat dark grey is hard to screw up, even for people like me who suck at painting large surfaces smoothly/evenly. (I'll probably build it totally closed and gear up, as I hate gloss white, especially on complicated surfaces like gear wells and gear struts----plus, the weapons trapeze is a nightmare, even if they do manage to get it right)

*yes, beating the XB-70

Generally, I don't "do" 1/48. But for the coolest plane ever*, I'll make an exception. Also, it's got about the easiest paint job there is. Flat dark grey is hard to screw up, even for people like me who suck at painting large surfaces smoothly/evenly. (I'll probably build it totally closed and gear up, as I hate gloss white, especially on complicated surfaces like gear wells and gear struts----plus, the weapons trapeze is a nightmare, even if they do manage to get it right)

*yes, beating the XB-70

You can always count on a kit you want to come out after spending mega bucks on an inferior version.

RIP to the lost and speedy recovery to the injured. Hope they find the missing ones asap.

Thanks David, amazing.

At this point they are announcing two dead, and scores with varying levels of injuries.

I guess the plane was too low and the tail section clipped the seawall. I'm sure footage will be released soon.

The tragedy of this event is mitigated by the amount who have survived, quite a few with no injuries at all. I hope there is a speedy recovery to all those who are hospitalized.