Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

Interesting---it seems to open the missile bay doors to act like a Harrier's strakes. I don't recall that on the X-35.

The X-35 looked better in general while hovering. I miss the accordion doors on the X-35's lift fan, the door on the F-35 looks like a toilet seat cover.

Pre-painted Ace Combat F-15s spotted:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/blog/1305165

Pre-painted Galm 1: awesome :wub:

1/144 scale: not so awesome :(

I'd imagine the accordion doors are less robust and more points of failure what with more hinges.

it was either a weight saving thing or an improved airflow thing, either way it just doesn't look as cool.

Even their "fixed with stolen designs" 1/32 Flanker has issues after revising, I can't imagine they did that well on their 1/72. Trumpeter is the king of "totally awful intake and canopy shapes despite copious reference". Their 1/32 F-14 is the worst F-14 money can buy, despite being the newest/biggest one around. It looks like a swing-wing F-15...

Well, they actually put out a pretty good kit in the 1/72 range. I'll just point you to this thread at ARC; Flankerman generally knows his stuff (I think he's built every version possible of the flanker).

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=254303&st=0&p=2413116&hl=flankerman&fromsearch=1entry2413116

That's not to say that the Hasegawa version is "bad." Both are considered very good models (of different types of flankers).

Even their "fixed with stolen designs" 1/32 Flanker has issues after revising, I can't imagine they did that well on their 1/72. Trumpeter is the king of "totally awful intake and canopy shapes despite copious reference". Their 1/32 F-14 is the worst F-14 money can buy, despite being the newest/biggest one around. It looks like a swing-wing F-15...

David, what model Flanker do you recommend for accuracy and quality?

Oh, it can't be that bad...

IMG_0465.jpg

:mellow:

Never mind...

David, what model Flanker do you recommend for accuracy and quality?

Let me take a stab at this topic.

It depends what you want. If you just want a flanker, and don't care what kind, the Hasegawa SU-33 kit is probably the best oob... with some possible accuracy issues (spine and canopy shape). Its also the priciest kit and represents a relatively rare sub-version of the aircraft (less than 30 built)

If you want a more representative model (SU-27 or 30 or their chinese derivatives) likely the best choice is the Trumpeter kit. Its a little less advanced than Hasegawa (particularly in the cockpit), and has many more smaller issues compared to hasegawa's one or two big issues... its still very good. The next best is (apparently) the airfix kit, which is a bear to build but seen as being very accurate. Alot of people use it for donor parts,

There is a zvezda SU-27 kit coming out (or out) that a lot of people are anticipating. I've not heard anything yet however.

Edited by Noyhauser

Indeed. Whenever the subject of 'drones' comes up, many of my friends are surprised when I tell them how large some of these are. It is a common misconception that a drone is a tiny piece of machinery.

That's doubly true for combat drones, as you'll need it to be big enough to carry all those missiles.

Another pic from the same airshow. Notice the nozzle positions and the open side weapons bay.

F2naHGj.jpg

Actually, those recon drones are larger than the combat ones.

Yeah for massively increased loiter time and recon coverage. Read somewhere that we Aussies only need something like two tritons to cover our entire north coastline.

That caught my eye too---is that correct for either the game or any real Flanker?

In every game as far as I remember it's been a normal bare aluminum finish which in-game barely stands out from the grey of the camo pattern.

I've never seen a picture of a flanker with that much orange/yellow on the blast panel. Maybe a little bit around the gunport itself but they're always majority aluminum colored.

:edit:

Not like it's even a big deal that it's off. I'd want to mask and spray that part with Alclad II anyways so it'll look right regardless of what the kit implies it should look like.

Edited by anime52k8

Actually, those recon drones are larger than the combat ones.

Another pic from the same airshow. Notice the nozzle positions and the open side weapons bay.

Yeah for massively increased loiter time and recon coverage. Read somewhere that we Aussies only need something like two tritons to cover our entire north coastline.

I've always wondered why those Global Hawks were so big. Now I know.

Not like it's even a big deal that it's off. I'd want to mask and spray that part with Alclad II anyways so it'll look right regardless of what the kit implies it should look like.

That's what I was thinking. Since it's a model kit, you can paint that part any color you want to.

• 3 weeks later...

The new dark grey paint scheme has grown on me though, I do prefer the original camo schemes more:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Sukhoi-Su-34/2222144/L/&sid=e7a11b5658b0672186f8a7fc6067d084

the grey camo one is still the sexiest thing ever: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Sukhoi-Su-35BM/1668646/&sid=ac087a82e02f9ca0b28b623d97aa7ffbf

JASDF's blue on blue camo scheme is my #1 favorite.

640px-F-2A_%28530%29_of_6_Sqn_arrives_at

I've never understood what exactly those two shades of blue are actually supposed to camouflage the plane against but it does look cool. It also helps that it goes over a good looking plane.