Aircraft Super Thread Mk.VII

also, second best kit announcement to go with it:

hs_hasegawa02.jpg

:wub: :wub: :wub:

I played AC4 for the story, it's still my all time favorite of the AC games because of the story.

As for the Camo apps, maybe Hase will include some sort of template to make masking easier. pre-cut masks would be the best but I'm not sure if hase has ever done something like that before. The only thing I would have liked better is if these were 1/48 kits. One of these days I plan on buying that 1/48 Haruka iM@S F-22 kit, and I have an unbuilt 1/48 F-15C kit from Hasagawa that I bought years ago specifically to build and paint up as Galm 1 from Ace combat Zero.

BTW, I remember a LONG time ago I built an iltalari Su-33 and painted it up in Yellow 13 colors, I have no idea if I still have that somewhere...

Storywise, it's probably the best among all the PS2 era AC games. AC5's story was good too, but I can't deal with Nagase's overly-dramatic pacifism.

If they do include a template for masking, I'm definitely getting the kit. Maybe even two kits, if the price is right--one for Yellow 13, and another for his wingman (or should it be wingwoman?)

The video game nerd in me would also like to scrounge around for a similar-looking handkerchief to place next to a built Yellow 4 kit.

BTW, that Raptor kit looks sweet!

Edited by GU-11

you can't have Yellow 13 without Mobius 1. it's just makes sense. also, the mobius 1 is extra cool because you can take the decals from it and combine them with any 1/72 scale kit to recreate whatever your preferred plane from AC4 was.

Storywise, it's probably the best among all the PS2 era AC games. AC5's story was good too, but I can't deal with Nagase's overly-dramatic pacifism.

If they do include a template for masking, I'm definitely getting the kit. Maybe even two kits, if the price is right--one for Yellow 13, and another for his wingman (or should it be wingwoman?)

The video game nerd in me would also like to scrounge around for a similar-looking handkerchief to place next to a built Yellow 4 kit.

BTW, that Raptor kit looks sweet!

Yes, I really couldn't stand the endless ranting by Chopper and Edge, and the over-the-top anti-war dialogue in AC5. The missions were nice but I still preferred AC4 as far as story.

Is there a kit for the F-15s from ACZero?

Edited by Shadow

you can't have Yellow 13 without Mobius 1. it's just makes sense. also, the mobius 1 is extra cool because you can take the decals from it and combine them with any 1/72 scale kit to recreate whatever your preferred plane from AC4 was.

Very true. I used the SU-23 a lot, IIRC. Might have to choose a color scheme that contrasts those of Yellow-13, as both planes look so similar in design.

Wouldn't mind using that prototype plane you had to unlock in AC4 for Mobius 1. The design's kind of gaudy, but it is one of a kind, and supposedly the best plane in the game.

Yes, I really couldn't stand the endless ranting by Chopper and Edge, and the over-the-top anti-war dialogue in AC5. The missions were nice but I still preferred AC4 as far as story.

Is there a kit for the F-15s from ACZero?

Chopper was annoying, and Nagase whining about Chopper's death was even more annoying.

AC4 told a more subtle, and honestly, a better story with a twist in the end. I love the way it was told from the eyes of a child caught in the middle of the war, and how it was depicted in anime stills. The atmosphere is just so much more emotive than the usual in-your-face CGI cutscenes.

Very true. I used the SU-23 a lot, IIRC. Might have to choose a color scheme that contrasts those of Yellow-13, as both planes look so similar in design.

there's no such plane as an SU-23, do you mean SU-35? I never really used that one.

this was you're default scheme in AC4:

Su-35.jpg

IIRC, the alternate scheme was really similar but using tan, brown and green; and I can't for the life of me remember what the actual SP scheme was.

Wouldn't mind using that prototype plane you had to unlock in AC4 for Mobius 1. The design's kind of gaudy, but it is one of a kind, and supposedly the best plane in the game.

ah, the X-02. My absolute favorite plane from the game. I always thought it was a gorgious thing to look at, especially in it's high speed mode.

post-4286-0-42326800-1368916989_thumb.jpg

post-4286-0-78212700-1368917063_thumb.jpg

sadly, there's only been 1 kit made of it ever, a 1/100 scale Bandai EX kit that's utterly impossible to find anywhere. it and the CFA-44 from AC6 are the coolest fictional planes I've ever seen and I'd kill for models of them in 1/72 or larger scale.

there's no such plane as an SU-23, do you mean SU-35? I never really used that one.

this was you're default scheme in AC4:

Su-35.jpg

IIRC, the alternate scheme was really similar but using tan, brown and green; and I can't for the life of me remember what the actual SP scheme was.ah, the X-02. My absolute favorite plane from the game. I always thought it was a gorgious thing to look at, especially in it's high speed mode.

attachicon.gifx02m7.jpg

attachicon.gifx029.jpg

sadly, there's only been 1 kit made of it ever, a 1/100 scale Bandai EX kit that's utterly impossible to find anywhere. it and the CFA-44 from AC6 are the coolest fictional planes I've ever seen and I'd kill for models of them in 1/72 or larger scale.

There's no SU-23? Well, it has to be one of the Sukhois. Could be the Berkut (the one with the forward canard wings, right?) or some other. It's been ages since I touched AC4, sadly.

X-02: Oops, my bad. I could be thinking of that prototype plane from AC5, the one where you had to bomb out 2 factories to unlock. As much as I like using the laser cannon and the cockpit design with the fiber-optic screen, the overall aesthetics is kind of gaudy. Funny thing is, now that I'm looking at some googled pics of it, it does have a certain elegance, if not for that stork-like long nose. Actually, it depends on the color; looks much better in the black Razgriz scheme than it's original red.

How many other fictional prototype planes are there in the AC franchise? I remember there was one I just hated.

I'm still not crazy about the X-02, but it does have a certain beauty in high-speed mode. I'm just not a fan of the "W" shaped wings when it's cruising.

CFA-44: Damn, that IS a gorgeous plane. I've never played AC6 due to the mediocre reviews, but I might just buy that game on clearance just to fly that plane. Love the black and white color scheme.

Edited by GU-11

There's no SU-23? Well, it has to be one of the Sukhois. Could be the Berkut (the one with the forward canard wings, right?) or some other. It's been ages since I touched AC4, sadly.

X-02: Oops, my bad. I could be thinking of that prototype plane from AC5, the one where you had to bomb out 2 factories to unlock. As much as I like using the laser cannon and the cockpit design with the fiber-optic screen, the overall aesthetics is kind of gaudy. Funny thing is, now that I'm looking at some googled pics of it, it does have a certain elegance, if not for that stork-like long nose. Actually, it depends on the color; looks much better in the black Razgriz scheme than it's original red.

How many other fictional prototype planes are there in the AC franchise? I remember there was one I just hated.

I'm still not crazy about the X-02, but it does have a certain beauty in high-speed mode. I'm just not a fan of the "W" shaped wings when it's cruising.

CFA-44: Damn, that IS a gorgeous plane. I've never played AC6 due to the mediocre reviews, but I might just buy that game on clearance just to fly that plane. Love the black and white color scheme.

there where 3 Sukhoi birds in AC4, the Su-35, the Su-37, and the S-37 (AKA Su-47 Berkut) the SU-35 looks basically the same as the Su-37 but had inferior stats and I think it's weapon load was more focused on Ground attack compared to the 37. the Berkut was a beast but I like the aesthetics ofthe Su-37 better. but the X-02 was always my plane once I unlocked it, absolutely wrecked shop on the Air-to-Air levels of which AC4 had the best IMO. In AC5 the highest level super plane was the ADF-01 Falken, I liked it for being crazy, and the laser was pretty useful for certain missions, but overall I perfered using the X-02 again (which could be unlocked by purchasing every other plane besides the ADF-01).

I think the CFA-44 is perhaps the single best looking plane they've ever included in an Ace Combat game. TBH, it's handling characteristics in game are kind of iffy, the standard versions are all extremely fast and maneuverable but also have unusually high stall speeds. The NAVY prototype scheme (which is the best one IMO) was a DLC plane, and was much more stable at the cost of being slower and less maneuverable. The real draw was the weapon special weapons, since you could either have a rail gun which was basically an airplane sniper rifle or a set of Itano Circus Micro missile pods.

overall there's been a ton of fictional planes in Ace combat, most of them coming from AC3 where every plane was either 100% original or some sort of fictional futuristic variant of a real world fighter. http://acecombat.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Original_Aircraft

Boy, Iran is just popping out new planes left and right lately---here's their latest stealth drone. (yes, stealth---they say you can't detect it)

Iran-drone-1.jpg

obviously it uses a very powerful SEP field to accomplish stealth.

Edited by eugimon

there where 3 Sukhoi birds in AC4, the Su-35, the Su-37, and the S-37 (AKA Su-47 Berkut) the SU-35 looks basically the same as the Su-37 but had inferior stats and I think it's weapon load was more focused on Ground attack compared to the 37. the Berkut was a beast but I like the aesthetics ofthe Su-37 better. but the X-02 was always my plane once I unlocked it, absolutely wrecked shop on the Air-to-Air levels of which AC4 had the best IMO. In AC5 the highest level super plane was the ADF-01 Falken, I liked it for being crazy, and the laser was pretty useful for certain missions, but overall I perfered using the X-02 again (which could be unlocked by purchasing every other plane besides the ADF-01).

I think the CFA-44 is perhaps the single best looking plane they've ever included in an Ace Combat game. TBH, it's handling characteristics in game are kind of iffy, the standard versions are all extremely fast and maneuverable but also have unusually high stall speeds. The NAVY prototype scheme (which is the best one IMO) was a DLC plane, and was much more stable at the cost of being slower and less maneuverable. The real draw was the weapon special weapons, since you could either have a rail gun which was basically an airplane sniper rifle or a set of Itano Circus Micro missile pods.

overall there's been a ton of fictional planes in Ace combat, most of them coming from AC3 where every plane was either 100% original or some sort of fictional futuristic variant of a real world fighter. http://acecombat.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Original_Aircraft

X-02 and Falken: Whatever my opinions are regarding their looks, they were the planes I used exclusively after unlocking them in AC4 and 5 respectively. BTW, is it worth trying to unlock it in AC5? Does it perform as good or better than the Falken? I'm tempted to dust off my old copy of AC5 for old times' sake--I pray that I still have that game save in my memory card. Took me ages to complete that damn tunnel mission. It wasn't the dog-fighting, but escaping the damn tunnel that repeatedly crashed my plane!

CFA-44: Shame that it doesn't perform as well as it looks. High stall speeds? Must be hell during those missions where you have to destroy ground-based targets or shoot out AWACS planes. Did you say RAIL GUN and Itano Circus-style missiles? Well, at least you won't have to worry about aiming and getting close enough for the targeting computer to lock on.

obviously it uses a very powerful SEP field to accomplish stealth.

Honestly, nothing short of a Klingon cloaking field is going to shield that thing from detection by radar or even the naked eye.

I'm by no means an aviation expert, but shouldn't missiles have stabilizing fins? Looks like something they cobbled together using stuff you can buy out of Home Depot.

And seriously, what is that thing stuck to the bottom of the drone? I'm not kidding; it looks exactly like that pot my late mother used to boil soup in.

Edited by GU-11

X-02 and Falken: Whatever my opinions are regarding their looks, they were the planes I used exclusively after unlocking them in AC4 and 5 respectively. BTW, is it worth trying to unlock it in AC5? Does it perform as good or better than the Falken? I'm tempted to dust off my old copy of AC5 for old times' sake--I pray that I still have that game save in my memory card. Took me ages to complete that damn tunnel mission. It wasn't the dog-fighting, but escaping the damn tunnel that repeatedly crashed my plane!

The X-02 was as far as I remember the best handling plane in AC5. The main problem was because AC5 didn't let you choose your special weapon for a given plane you're stuck with long range multi-targeting missiles. It was completely useless for Air-to-ground missions, and for dogfight missions I preferred the Su-37 since that was the best handling plane that offered quick maneuver missiles.

Honestly, the best game for the X-02 was Ace Combat Zero. It was again the best handling plane in the game and it also got quick maneuver missiles back as well as multi-targeting air-to-ground missiles so it was usefull in just about any mission.

CFA-44: Shame that it doesn't perform as well as it looks. High stall speeds? Must be hell during those missions where you have to destroy ground-based targets or shoot out AWACS planes. Did you say RAIL GUN and Itano Circus-style missiles? Well, at least you won't have to worry about aiming and getting close enough for the targeting computer to lock on.

actually, it's main handicap was that they introduced a new mechanic in 6 called High-G turns where you could hold both the throttle and brake buttons while pulling up to increase your turn rate while bleeding air speed quicker. On all planes if you held a high G turn too long you'd eventually stall, but the CFA-44 lost speed so quickly that it would stall faster than any other plane by a considerable margin.

:edit:

Man, once I'm off school I think I've got to drag out my PS2 and play Ace combat Zero again.

Edited by anime52k8

Regards the Iranian drones armament - they appear to be not so much missiles as unguided rockets; I believe the Russian RPG-series have "pop-out" fins which only unfold after launch (now I think of it, so does the TOW missile, but thats obviously launched from a tube) which probably explains the lack of fins.

Theres some video of this thing taking off - it looked distinctly wobbly, like an overgrown R/C aircraft. I think they have a little while to go before its as stable as our future robot aerial murder-machine cyborg overlords... :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Not to be a stick in the mud but shouldn't we limit the discussion here to real world aviation? Isn't there an AC thread.

Problem is, we don't have a general Ace Combat thread (only the most recent game) nor a general modeling thread, so this thread is the place to go for the AC fans and aviation moldelers .

Of course this is only a lame excuse to plug my AC models:

Hasegawa Delphinus 3

4701499582_dd3ffcec4b_z.jpg

Bandai Falken

4701499692_57f1bdc6ee_z.jpg

About that Iranian drone: where are its cameras? If it's non-combat like the Global Hawk and is guided via pre-programmed flight routes, then it's understandable. But what with the missiles/rockets strapped to the thing, wouldn't they need to see and aim at the target?

About that Iranian drone: where are its cameras? If it's non-combat like the Global Hawk and is guided via pre-programmed flight routes, then it's understandable. But what with the missiles/rockets strapped to the thing, wouldn't they need to see and aim at the target?

Superior indigenous Iranian technology precludes the need for cameras just like it precludes the need for features that are traditionally considered stealthy while still being a stealth aircraft. Edited by anime52k8

Superior indigestion Iranian technology precludes the need for cameras just like it precludes the need for features that are traditionally considered stealthy while still being a stealth aircraft.

Maybe their idea of stealth is to paint it up in kid-friendly bright colors so it'll appear as a harmless little RC plane in the eyes of the enemy...before suicide-bombing you.

I rather think it's just an unguided rocket. Which is pointless unless the drone is a suicide bomber.

That sounds eerily appropriate, given its country of origin.

Dang, I'm not generally one for "fake" model planes, but I would buy Yellow 13... (if I could get one pre-painted, I suck at camo---and little white fins on missiles)

Hase's new Su-33 is probably about the most accurate Flanker model out there.

PS---surely it comes with alternate markings for Yellow 4?

As you can imagine this has been a point of contention among aficionados. Some say that the spine looks off and point out other issues. There is quite a bit of love for the 72 trump kits. Frankly I think it looks very good too, except for that price.

also, second best kit announcement to go with it:

hs_hasegawa02.jpg

:wub: :wub: :wub:

OMG its finally here. This kit has been a huge piece of vaporware for the past three years. Hasegawa had hinted they were going to do it, particularly after the problems with the Fujimi kit.

Edit: Oh wait. its just another revell rebox isn't it? Way to get my hopes up hasegawa.

Edited by Noyhauser

As you can imagine this has been a point of contention among aficionados. Some say that the spine looks off and point out other issues. There is quite a bit of love for the 72 trump kits. Frankly I think it looks very good too, except for that price.

Even their "fixed with stolen designs" 1/32 Flanker has issues after revising, I can't imagine they did that well on their 1/72. Trumpeter is the king of "totally awful intake and canopy shapes despite copious reference". Their 1/32 F-14 is the worst F-14 money can buy, despite being the newest/biggest one around. It looks like a swing-wing F-15...

Back to real planes, and visible science!

34012_1365945760.jpg

Please let me know if this is a red x.

And I never noticed it before, but DANG if those tail planes aren't straight from an airliner. Makes me wonder if they aren't actually re-used from an A330...

Interesting---it seems to open the missile bay doors to act like a Harrier's strakes. I don't recall that on the X-35.

Good spot, that's actually pretty neat. Seems VTOL will only be used to move them around in a FAB and won't be used operationally. Can't wait to see roos on these babies. Australia is moving towards drones and EW capabilities so we may use these to guide in standoff EW drones. Would be pure sex. I have already fallen in love with the Grizzlies. Way more interesting than plain jane fighters.