Repaint DYRL Max VF-1 to DYRL Hikaru VF-1 advice for noob?

ultraman zoffy

Hey MW customizers!

Any advice or best practice tips on repainting the blue portions of a DYRL Max VF-1A to the red Hikaru color scheme? Just looking for knowledge on if/how I'd need to remove the blue from the valk's plastic, types of paint recommended, masking off stuff, etc. Much appreciated since it'd be my first toy repaint ever. :)

No reason why you couldn't just mask around the blue areas and overpaint with the correct color red paint. That's the theory anyway. In practice, you may find that you would need to prime over the blue in order for the red color to show the correct tint. Also, you would have to be very careful to leave all of the blue parts uncovered or else you could find a strange thin blue stripe around parts of your new red color. It would probably be a good idea to test the paint you plan to use to be sure it does not cause a bad reaction with the blue factory paint.

If you are only wanting to cover the blue areas though, I don't see why you would really need to remove the blue. That would be an added step and added difficulty. The factory tampo printed paint seems to be pretty durable so it should be an OK base for the new color; as long as there are no chemical reactions between the paints.

I think you can often find the Hikaru 1As on sale for a pretty reasonable price though. It may be worth your time and effort to pick up one second hand. Then you could have two valks, or you could sell the Max to recoup the costs.