All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I finally got a chance to get the Edy's Detachment DLC for Valkyria Chronicles. It's just 1 mission... but a bit of a challenging one.

They just picked the best characters for this DLC, nothing screams elite military unit like a twin tail panicky Tsundere, a masochist, a pacifist, a big er.... "metro" guy, and a silent sniper... well Marina has always been elite.

One of the factors that really made me fall in love with this game is the really high quality English VA, which makes the characters so much more interesting and memorable. The DLC is no exception.

Unfortunately, VC seems to have a hit a dead end, and will probably never grace the PS3 again. Damm you Sega.

Edited by Ghost Train

One of the factors that really made me fall in love with this game is the really high quality English VA, which makes the characters so much more interesting and memorable. The DLC is no exception.

I agree. For the first time ever, I actually prefer the English VA to the original Japanese version. I felt the English VA's sounded more appropriate for the characters, especially Rosie, whose English VA had a deeper, more mature voice to go with her somewhat abrasive personality. Hell, even the VA they did for Hans (yeah, that flying piglet) was better than the Japanese one. Only thing I didn't like was Welkin calling Isara, "Is."

Unfortunately, VC seems to have a hit a dead end, and will probably never grace the PS3 again. Damm you Sega.

Yeah, it's a real pity. Would have looked forward to a sequel or two. I wonder what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

here's a question about Counter Strike: Source and hacks.... should i assume most younger players ARE running with a hack window open, ready to 'turn on the skills', at a click's motion? How prevailant is the use of cheat programs? and is Valve's VAC thingie just fluff and they really arnt concerned, since they already got my money (long ago)....

i play a lot of CS as a older adult, mostly on a few preferred servers (like XXL Crackhouse, rarely on HG Crackhouse, often on SteamGamers Zombie maps and i would like to equate my annoyance to getting older (or maybe cooking my 3-year old+ Laptop) but i wonder 'is that guy thats played an hour and got over 300+ kills, has earned over 80,000 points and ranked like... 2.... is he/she really that good or is he crooked, like a lot of humanity seems to be, as a specise?

i mean, ive read some of the info about IDing hackers on HG, for example but how do you explain folks getting headshots from AK's long distance while straffing, left & right, VERY quickly... skills? or cheats.

Edited by TehPW

Sorry, couldn't find a translation for the trophy list.

Macross: My Boyfriend is a Pilot (JP) Trophies

Also, Metal Gear Solid 4 is finally going to get trophy support.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/03/metal-gear-solid-4-ps3-trophies-revealed

THANKS.

Google Translate to the rescue:

1S289042.png Just a popular song

you clear the "Do You Remember Love?" mission.

66.07%Common

2S091ecf.png Such obvious love song

you clear the "Do You Remember Love? back" mission.

26.79%Uncommon

3S7c1c9b.png Deculture

you clear the mission "Carl tune".

21.43%Uncommon

4S3d32aa.png Yak Deculture

you clear the "Carl tune back" mission.

17.86%Rare

5S69e42c.png Kuhn Kuhn Kuhn Kuhn

achieve 50 times the number of sorties.

16.07%Rare

6S18c442.png Go deep and soaring to

achieve the number of aircraft shot down 1,000 total.

12.50%Rare

7Sfd04d6.png Love the sky blue sign

achieved (the number of break) 500 times the number of total anti-missile.

16.07%Rare

8Scc7f98.png I love you, so

you use 50 times the "Diva of the legend" command skills.

14.29%Rare

9Seda486.png Skull platoon members

were cleared in more than S rank all of the (front and back usually) mission.

14.29%Rare

10Se889fc.png Skull leader

was cleared of all ranks in the SS (front and back usually) mission.

12.50%Rare

11S45fd18.png A heat of your own airplane than I

achieved 10 hours play time.

12.50%Rare

12S76e22d.png But, I still love it ... missile

missile achieved from the total number of 10,000.

25.00%Uncommon

13S4c51c4.png He is my ace pilot

was cleared Ultimate All Missions.

14.29%

I don't get why the site says its a whopping $200, it seems like a pretty fair deal from a smaller game/console developer. I've always enjoyed SNK games so I'll probably pick one up.

Because all it does is play a small collection of obscure, 20 year old games that the majority gaming public doesn't even care about and are available digitally through both major consoles for cheaper.

Edited by anime52k8

Well in other video game news I just saw on XBox live that there will be a new Counter-Strike game. Nice to see a game grow from a community mod of the original Half-Life.

And in Valve-related news: For all you Achievement sl*ts *ahem* hunters out there, pick up a copy of The Orange Box. It has a slew of Achievements, most of them worth 5 gamerscore :p .

Edited by Wanzerfan

Well in other video game news I just saw on XBox live that there will be a new Counter-Strike game. Nice to see a game grow from a community mod of the original Half-Life.

And in Valve-related news: For all you Achievement sl*ts *ahem* hunters out there, pick up a copy of The Orange Box. It has a slew of Achievements, most of them worth 5 gamerscore :p .

That's some wonderful incite from 2004/2007 you've got their. Maybe in 5 years you'll be able to join the current conversation.

:edit:

or not.

Edited by anime52k8

Because all it does is play a small collection of obscure, 20 year old games that the majority gaming public doesn't even care about and are available digitally through both major consoles for cheaper.

Yeah a good point though personally i'd much rather have a new Neo Geo to play and display. A few deciding factors to me if I'm buying it or not is how well the emulation is done, how well built the hardware is and how many obscure and rare SNK games are going to be released on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Two hours into Sleeping Dogs, and I'm already addicted to it.

While it's true that the game derives a lot of its gameplay and themes from other sandbox games (GTA IV in particular), it also brings in a unique flavor of its own. Sleeping Dogs is basically what you might expect if Rock Star made a GTA sequel based in Hong Kong.

I applaud the game for creating a very authentic feel of HK. The Cantonese is very accurate and natural, and the atmosphere is realistic. I would have been nice is the VA (Will Yun Lee) for Wei Shen to at least attempt to speak a few words of Cantonese. As it is, he's the only one in the game except his British higher-up who only speaks English.

Game play-wise, the fighting system is probably the best I've ever used in a sandbox game. The counter-attack system blends in smoothly with normal attacks, and as a whole handles much better than Yakuza's rather artificial feel, or GTA's clunky melee fighting. The AI is top-notch; the enemies tend to gang-up on you, so counter-attacking is essential. The camera angle is wonky sometimes, but it's infrequent enough so as to be bearable. The difficulty is a noticeably higher than Yakuza, so strategy is a must. Rushing in and mashing buttons will just get you KO'ed in drug bust missions.

I love the fact that they used food and drinks as not only a way to replenish HP, but also to offer temporary power-ups and defense.

The leveling system is also cool, utilizing achievements for three different facets to unlock abilities, namely Cop, Triad and Face. To be honest, it feels a little like the system in Deus Ex - Human Revolution. Something unique to the game itself is the use of finding health shrines in order to extend your max hp.

Still too early to comment on the plot, but it's building up to be a typical HK cop drama with intrigue, gang politics and brewing betrayal among the cops themselves. Reminds me a lot of the Infernal Affairs trilogy (the original, grittier, film that spawned The Departed.)

Just got a new Xbox 360, and whilst the hardware, as far as I can tell, can't match some of the PS3 exclusives block for block, microsoft REALLY makes up in the online services department.

The way they tackle online media and multiplayer gaming really makes that 60 bucks worth it.

As a ps3 veteran since launch, are there any xbox games that I need to pick up that i've missed? Already bought Ace Combat 6 and Gears of War :)

Just got a new Xbox 360, and whilst the hardware, as far as I can tell, can't match some of the PS3 exclusives block for block, microsoft REALLY makes up in the online services department.

The way they tackle online media and multiplayer gaming really makes that 60 bucks worth it.

As a ps3 veteran since launch, are there any xbox games that I need to pick up that i've missed? Already bought Ace Combat 6 and Gears of War :)

Kind of depends on what you're into, right? I mean, some people would say that the obvious one is the Halo series, but personally I lost interest in that series with Halo 2.

If you like racing games, the Forza series is, in my opinion, much better than Gran Turismo.

If you like RPGs, I hear the Fable games are supposed to be pretty good. And there's always the original Mass Effect.

Otherwise, I can't really say. I looked over at my shelf, and almost every Xbox game I own is also available on PS3. I guess, for me, the first choice is PC, then after that I usually go with Xbox unless it's a PS3 exclusive. My PS3 gets more use, but I guess it's more a media player that happens to play games to me.

Got 3DS XL, nothing to say about it, since we already know its specs., just that it's larger. The best portable since GBA-SP. Playing Theatrythm Final Final, very nice (the memories) but hard due it can be played only by the stylus.

It's funny that you mention that. I bought the regular 3DS for $129 on sale at Target last year. I was all set to ignore the 3DS XL, since on paper it looked like the only difference was a larger screen.

Then my local Target got a display 3DS in, and I had a chance to actually handle one. I quickly realized that the larger screen makes more of a difference than I thought. Maybe I'm just getting older, but the XL's screen fills my field of vision better and is easier to see in a way that makes gaming on it feel more immersive. That alone might not have been enough to push me over the edge to upgrade, but what really got me is how much more comfortable the XL is. The edges are smoother and the unit feels more solid. I'm basically sold. I heard Gamestop is giving $100 on the 3DS on the 3DS XL. I try to avoid them as much as I can, but I might have to take a trip out there today.

It's funny that you mention that. I bought the regular 3DS for $129 on sale at Target last year. I was all set to ignore the 3DS XL, since on paper it looked like the only difference was a larger screen.

Then my local Target got a display 3DS in, and I had a chance to actually handle one. I quickly realized that the larger screen makes more of a difference than I thought. Maybe I'm just getting older, but the XL's screen fills my field of vision better and is easier to see in a way that makes gaming on it feel more immersive. That alone might not have been enough to push me over the edge to upgrade, but what really got me is how much more comfortable the XL is. The edges are smoother and the unit feels more solid. I'm basically sold. I heard Gamestop is giving $100 on the 3DS on the 3DS XL. I try to avoid them as much as I can, but I might have to take a trip out there today.

Yes better quality plastic, curve edges and more solid. Get it, you won't regret it.

Don't know if anyone posted this yet... but here's a Macross-esque style arcade shooter fix for the PC. I know, it's not a valkyrie or a hint of an Itano Circus missile barrage... but this seems like a nice quick fix for the moment.

That mech reminds me of AGE-2 Gundam from the camera angle.