All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I grabbed a PS5 God of War Ragnarok bundle yesterday at Target, why not? They're available all over the place in the US this week, seems as good a time as any to get rid of my old jet-engine sounding PS4 Pro. Yikes, this console is MASSIVE, and quite ugly, I'm spoiled by the sleek, compact Series X. Gotta have the newest Playstation for those exclusives though right? Grabbed Ragnarok, upgraded my Miles Morales and bought Spidey Remastered for PS5, Last of us Part 1 on PS5, Demons Souls Remake, upgraded Forbidden West and upgraded my FFVIII Remake. Lots of stuff to play now, Last of Us is something I've played at least 15 or so times all the way through, I've got no problem playing it again far prettier on PS5 though, that's after Ragnarok for sure.

Ragnarok is amazing, no surprises there, it's a beast of a game on PS5, truly something special. I get the issues people are having with it being cross-gen, but, like, damn, it's still so good, it's still more polished then a solid 90% of the AAA games on the market these days. Story is great, game is gorgeous and offers a 120fps mode on PS5, it's pretty awesome. I'm thinking Game of the Year will be between Ragnarok and Elden Ring, both fantastic games. 

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

Love the Horizon games, can’t wait for Burning Shores. 

I loved Zero Dawn when it first came out, but I recently tried replaying it on PC and it just wasn't clicking with me.  I didn't even bother with Forbidden West.

Any other good announcements?  I have it on, but it's muted.  I'm just trying to win a Steam Deck (that I'll buy if I don't win).

37 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Any other good announcements?  I have it on, but it's muted.  I'm just trying to win a Steam Deck (that I'll buy if I don't win).

Final Fantasy XVI, Death Stranding 2, Diablo IV. It was also announced that Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League was Kevin Conroy's last Batman performance. The show was still running so I don't know if there are any other announcements coming.

edit: Never mind. It just finished.

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Man, and I thought For Answer was a bad future.. I'm guessing that's a coronal ejection wrecking the planet?  I'm amazed there's anything left to fight over. :lol: 

You're not wrong, you're just not talking about the right planet.

From the Steam page:

ABOUT THIS GAME

Dynamic, Fast-Paced Mech Action

Based on the knowledge gained during joint development of their recent titles, Bandai Namco Entertainment and FromSoftware seek to deliver a new action game. By combining FromSoftware’s longstanding expertise in mech games and their signature robust gameplay, ARMORED CORE VI FIRES OF RUBICON will be a new action experience.

In ARMORED CORE VI FIRES OF RUBICON, players will assemble and pilot their own mech with 3D maneuverability to move freely through three dimensional fast-paced missions. Take on difficult challenges and overwhelm your enemies with dynamic movements that make full use of ranged and melee combat. Players can enjoy a variety of actions that can only be truly realized with mechs.

Story Overview

A mysterious new substance was discovered on the remote planet, Rubicon 3. As an energy source, this substance was expected to dramatically advance humanity’s technological and communications capabilities. Instead, this substance caused a catastrophe that engulfed the planet and the surrounding stars in flames and storms, forming a Burning Star System.

Almost half a century later, the same substance resurfaced on Rubicon 3, a planet now contaminated and sealed off by the catastrophe.

Extra-terrestrial corporations and resistance groups fight over control of the substance. The player infiltrates Rubicon as an independent mercenary and finds themself in a struggle over the substance with the corporations and other factions.

Development Team

Hidetaka Miyazaki will be involved as the Initial Game Director. Based on the initial development, Masaru Yamamura has taken over as Director.

• 4 weeks later...

Monster Hunter: Rise is out today on Xbox and Playstation, very hyped to get home and play at 4K 60fps. I put about 560 hours in on Switch, killer game, great entry in the franchise, a bit too easy at times for me, but it's a good entry point for new players. I'd normally play this on Series X since I have Gamepass and play all my multiplats on Xbox, but I've got a co-worker and her boyfriend trying this out as their first Monster Hunter so I'll be "showing them the way", so to speak, on PS5. Gunlance all the way, it's the true professionals weapon, for all twelve of us that use it...

I tried one of the early Monster Hunter games on the 3DS, and I couldn't get into it.  Maybe because I only play single player?  Still, it's on Game Pass, so I'll check Rise out.

Also on Game Pass (and out for all other major systems) are Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, and Persona 5 Royal.  All three are excellent games, but P4G is my favorite.  Even though they're on Game Pass I'll be buying P3P on Steam to complete the trio on PC.  Thinking I might get a Steam Deck anyway, could be fun to play there.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I tried one of the early Monster Hunter games on the 3DS, and I couldn't get into it.  Maybe because I only play single player?  Still, it's on Game Pass, so I'll check Rise out.

I love and grew up with the older PSP and DS titles, but there's no denying a lot of the mechanics and systems were antiquated and out of date, even back then, it was nonsense you just dealt with because the rest of the game was so good. World and Rise introduced tons of quality of life adjustments and changes, too many to count, the gameplay is as smooth and welcoming as its ever been.

The main thing, the combat, is still as good as ever, faster then ever in Rise, but the tedious nonsense has been cut down tremendously. It's a night and day difference between the old games and these new ones, Capcom listened, they knew too much of the background stuff was tedious and annoying, item management, limited resources for basic things like mining resources and capturing indigenous species, it's all vastly improved now.

I'd highly recommend jumping in on Rise, especially on Series X, I looked online and there's quite a few performance options, almost PC-lite, foliage and shadow detail sliders, multiple performance options, Capcom seems to have gone all out on this new PS5/Series console port. 

32 minutes ago, Old_Nash_II said:

We had the Delta Scramble from Vita

But I understand what you mean
I would also like a title with the same engine

I forget about ArtDink's Vita games (Delta Scramble and Gundam Seed Battle Destiny) because, despite running on better hardware, they seemed so much worse than the PSP games.

I bought the collector's edition of Star Trek Online around the time it came out, played until the included time ran out, picked it up again when it went free to play, played through all the story content, then lost interest (broadly speaking, I'm a big Star Trek fan but I'm not really into MMOs or social gaming).

Anyway, fast forward to the present, I just finished watching Strange New Worlds, and I was in the mood to play a Star Trek game.  With nothing newer/better I reinstalled STO, and boy howdy did they change a bunch of stuff in the years since I quit.  Anyone else here playing?

BTW, if you're not, it's free to play, like I said, and readily available on Steam.  If you're really into multiplayer PVE or PVP sorts of things you might not like it- see, at each rank you only have access to certain ships, and you get one freebie every time you get promoted (every 10 levels), but then they went and added another tier or two of even better ships that you normally only get paying real money, leaving the best free stuff totally outclassed.

On the other hand, if you just want to play for the story, there's a ton more content than when the game first launched with appearances by lots of characters voiced by their original actors.  In fact, there's enough story content now that you should be able to hit the level cap without doing anything but the story content, and you can play through the story content as a single-player game.

I hadn't touched STO in a very long time, but I did enjoy the story.  I might have to pick it up again, and see what they've done with it for old time's sake, it was a fun and quirky plot they had going on.  Would have been a lot more enjoyable without the incredibly janky ground missions, but it was pretty passable otherwise.

Spoiler

I think I left off somewhere right after meeting the Elder Tribble. :lol: 

😑

I stand by my statement. No humanoid dismemberment, no buy (at least not until it comes on sale..like a year or 2 later). Stupid Disney.😡 I want humanoid dismemberment just like the old Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy-days.

I only played solo, but I've heard tales of how hilarious Jedi Knight multiplayer was. Because if you had a lightsaber out, you HAD A LIGHTSABER OUT. Collision detection on the blade was always active, so you could rush someone just standing there doing nothing, walk into his blade, and get murderized by someone who was actually AFK.