All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

5 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Deedlit's metrovania game gets a big recommend from me to anyone who loves Symphony of the Night and Lodoss War.  The music is tops in that game.  I'm still working on getting 100% completion on it, but R-Type Final 2 is taking my gaming time.

Funny, I just got back into R-Type Final 2 myself.

Only my copy says "Space Cosmo Fantasia" on the title screen. (The ability to change the title remains one of the funniest options I've seen in a game.)

On 9/14/2022 at 6:53 AM, JB0 said:

Funny, I just got back into R-Type Final 2 myself.

Only my copy says "Space Cosmo Fantasia" on the title screen. (The ability to change the title remains one of the funniest options I've seen in a game.)

Love it.  I didn't play for a while until I heard about more levels and ships were added.

I love the Suikoden games but Konami's remaster deserves more than just cleaned up character portraits.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised after seeing what Konami has become.

Some merchandise I recently got are the quesQ 1/120 R-9A Arrow Head and R-90 Ragnarok from R-Type (Final 2 maybe).

To keep things simple both are excellent made display pieces, crisp and clean paint and markings and I would recommend them if you like the design and can deal with the static nature of these statues.

The reason why I recommend them is, while they are fairly expensive for their size (the ships are roughly 6"), the good exchange rate at the moment make them a lot more attractive.

If you want more let me know.

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

Some merchandise I recently got are the quesQ 1/120 R-9A Arrow Head and R-90 Ragnarok from R-Type (Final 2 maybe).

Oh, nice!

I got the Arrowhead, I didn't know they were doing Ragnarock too. I assume it only came with the normal force?

5 hours ago, Scyla said:

To keep things simple both are excellent made display pieces, crisp and clean paint and markings and I would recommend them if you like the design and can deal with the static nature of these statues.

The reason why I recommend them is, while they are fairly expensive for their size (the ships are roughly 6"), the good exchange rate at the moment make them a lot more attractive.

If you want more let me know.

Yeah, I was curious about them, it just may save me from putting together this plastic model I have of the R-9. Got any pics?

8 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Yeah, I was curious about them, it just may save me from putting together this plastic model I have of the R-9. Got any pics?

Sure, I can take some this evening. Do you have any specific things you want to see?

5 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Sweet, thanks!  It looks quite sharp, and might be similar in size to the PLUM kit.

Yeah, the paint and panel lines look super crisp. Here is an image of the Ragnarok on the other side of the shelf:

50115D60-F321-4FFA-93CC-8CE2A6830043.jpeg.25cd5dc318eb6b232500015d7114c447.jpeg

I love that they added a white sphere to the center of the Force. It looks like glowing from the inside. I wish Bandai would use something similar for their lightsabers.

What I don’t like is the static display. They would really have benefited from a variable stand to make them look more dynamic like the Figma ones. On the other hand in game the ships move only on a 2D plane so it is appropriate.

I’m currently playing Luigi’s Mansion 3 on my Switch and is probably the worst recent Nintendo game I’ve played. I would say maybe ever?

Controls are super frustrating and clumsy, the level design and combat is bland. And every level is worse than the one before.

If the controller wasn’t attached to the console this boss would make me throw it against the wall:

image.jpeg.89d26d7fa55ae5abfabd47a9aa3172e6.jpeg

Maybe it will calm down with some distance but at the moment I’m fuming.

[edit:] Of course I can’t skip the intro sequence after a Game Over…

Edited by Scyla

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

I don’t know what that is and at this point I’m afraid to ask….

A Nintendo-produced fighting game for the original Nintendo. It is widely regarded as rather awful by the kind of people that remember Nintendo games that came out before the Mario Brothers were super.

And for those of us who are really old enough to remember, Urban Champion was fine... when it came out on Famicom, a year before Super Mario Bros.  The problem was that it didn't release on the American NES until almost a year after Super Mario Bros.  I cannot possibly overstate the impact that SMB had on the videogame industry.  There's a marked difference between the simple, often single-screen arcade ports pre SMB and the more expansive adventures either designed specifically for home consoles or arcade games heavily modified to add depth (ala Section Z or Rygar).  On the Famicom this progression was likely more natural, but in the States we had SMB at launch, then a lot of games that were pre-SMB in Japan came later and were already dated on day 1.

But yeah... I gotta be honest, I didn't care much for Luigi's Mansion 3, either.  It's one of the few 1st-party games on the Switch I couldn't be bothered to finish.  That said, I've been playing my Switch a lot lately.  Shin Megami Tensei V was my most-played Switch game in 2021, and this year I've had a ton of fun with Kirby and the Forgotten Kingdom, the KOTOR ports, and I've currently got over 100 hours into Fire Emblem Warriors: the Three Hopes.  When I finish that, I've got Live A Live and Azure Striker Gunvolt 3 on deck.  And that's not even counting that I picked up the multiplatform games like Lego Star Wars: the Skywalker Saga and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection for Switch.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I cannot possibly overstate the impact that SMB had on the videogame industry. 

And it's an even worse time for a versus fighter.

Urban Champion isn't adhering to the rules set by Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat a decade afterwards, and it is impossible to not be judged by comparison to them.

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

And it's an even worse time for a versus fighter.

Urban Champion isn't adhering to the rules set by Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat a decade afterwards, and it is impossible to not be judged by comparison to them.

Sure, but still, what I'm saying is that there's a difference between a game that was probably ok at the time of its original release but has aged horribly and a game that's kind of so-so from the start.

41 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Sure, but still, what I'm saying is that there's a difference between a game that was probably ok at the time of its original release but has aged horribly and a game that's kind of so-so from the start.

A fair point, and taken. I wasn't meaning to argue it, just adding that Urban Champion gets hit coming AND going.

I finished Luigi’s Mansion 3 it is probably the worst modern videogame I played and completed. It is abysmal and has, with exception of the graphics, no redeeming qualities.

I can’t understand how anyone could give this game a good rating; I’m baffled.

It is the antithesis in all aspects to Super Mario Odyssey which is a stellar videogame, probably the best one I played on the Switch (which, in a twist of fate, is staring Luigi’s brother).

Or maybe I didn’t had the correct mindset playing it.

6 hours ago, Scyla said:

I finished Luigi’s Mansion 3 it is probably the worst modern videogame I played and completed. It is abysmal and has, with exception of the graphics, no redeeming qualities.

I'm curious why, if you disliked it so much, that you kept playing to completion?  While I thought it was kind of mediocre, I clearly didn't hate it as much as you did, yet I decided to move on to better games shortly after that boss in the pump room.

On a totally unrelated note, I bought God of War for my original non-pro phat PS4 when it launched.  I liked it, but it happened to come out when my wife had a two-week business trip in China and I was left at home with our then 2yo daughter, which didn't leave me with much in the way of time/energy/focus to play it.  Long story short, I didn't finish it.

Fast forward, and I'd decided to start over and really play God of War before Ragnarok comes out.  This time, I'm playing on PS5.  Two things-

First, God of War is better than I remember!  If Ragnarok is as good it might be the first game I'm willing to spend $70 on.

Second, I've played a lot of PS4 games on the PS5 now, and for the most part there hasn't been much of a difference.  Maybe better load times or something, but it's basically the same experience.  Not so for God of War!  The HDR is better, the world looks more detailed, and the framerate is noticeably better.  After playing on PS5 I couldn't go back to playing it on a PS4.

16 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I'm curious why, if you disliked it so much, that you kept playing to completion?  While I thought it was kind of mediocre, I clearly didn't hate it as much as you did, yet I decided to move on to better games shortly after that boss in the pump room.

On a totally unrelated note, I bought God of War for my original non-pro phat PS4 when it launched.  I liked it, but it happened to come out when my wife had a two-week business trip in China and I was left at home with our then 2yo daughter, which didn't leave me with much in the way of time/energy/focus to play it.  Long story short, I didn't finish it.

Fast forward, and I'd decided to start over and really play God of War before Ragnarok comes out.  This time, I'm playing on PS5.  Two things-

First, God of War is better than I remember!  If Ragnarok is as good it might be the first game I'm willing to spend $70 on.

Second, I've played a lot of PS4 games on the PS5 now, and for the most part there hasn't been much of a difference.  Maybe better load times or something, but it's basically the same experience.  Not so for God of War!  The HDR is better, the world looks more detailed, and the framerate is noticeably better.  After playing on PS5 I couldn't go back to playing it on a PS4.

That is a good question! 

Fist, over the last couple of years I bought a lot of Switch games, all as physical releases (with one exception where the  shop didn’t state it was just a download code in the box). But I had no impetus playing any of them. A couple of month back I started playing Metroid Dread and decided to play all the games I have, before buying new ones (that and my cartridge transport boxes are full).

Next it is a Nintendo game so I was expecting a certain quality. The game also got good reviews and a friend recommended it to me. So I thought it might get better any floor now.

Lastly I’m a bit of a masochist so I can handle a bad experience if I want to achieve something. With the way the game presented progression with the missing buttons on the elevator’s control panel, I thought I had a good idea how much game was left. I also played WoW excessively from 2005 to 2012 so I can handle repetitive, boring gameplay for a long time.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:51 PM, davidwhangchoi said:

Suikoden II ps1 is expensive :o

I'd assume not as expensive as it was just a few weeks ago.  (should have sold mine back in July!  Now I'll probably get less)

Anyways, the REAL new Suikoden game coming out:

Stadia Announcement FAQ

On September 29, 2022, Google announced that the Stadia servers will be turned off on January 18, 2023. The following article includes answers to common questions and will be updated as new information becomes available. Please check back for updates before contacting support

🤣:rofl:
I'm just surprised it took this long.

Boy, I certainly hope they at least offer all of their paying customers a way to redeem the games they paid for outright on another service platform... because boy howdy, that's been the single most baffling aspect of Stadia from day one.

Edit: Hadn't read the announcement yet, looks like everyone's being refunded for everything they ever bought, so at least that's working out.  Everyone just gave Google an interest-free loan for the lifespan of the product. :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

8 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I'm surprised they're offering everyone full refunds.

I'm a -little- surprised, but I think it makes more sense than literally shafting everyone involved out of everything they purchased.  Google doesn't need anymore ill-will of any kind right now.

And let's face it, it probably wasn't successful enough in the first place for the refunds to even put a microscopic dent in their account.  If they had made that much off it, they probably wouldn't be killing it.

• 4 weeks later...