All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Well, I'd spent the better part of a year pretty much ignoring Cyberpunk 2077.  Between the fact that it launched a buggy mess, the general agreement that it didn't live up to the hype, and the fact that I wasn't really into The Witcher III the way most people seemed to be and subsequently wasn't all that excited for a new game from CD Projekt Red int he first place convinced me to leave well enough alone.  However, a need for something new to play, something I could really get lost in, a year's worth of patches, lowered expectations, and a Steam sale convinced me to give it a go.

I'm glad I did!  OK, so it's still pretty buggy (I've encountered textures that get weirdly stretched, people talking but their mouths don't move, loot items floating in the air, NPCs clipping through vehicles, randomly being equipped with a Liberty pistol I don't even have, subtitles hanging out on screen well after the conversation ended, and having to reload a save after jumping down and somehow getting stuck in the environment), but nothing that makes the game unplayable.  I think comparisons to Deus Ex are a little unfair, too (at least to Mankind Divided and Human Revolution), because it leans harder into RPG territory (it took me some time to get used to the idea that a headshot while stealthing with a silenced pistol did damage in a fixed range and was, more often than not, going to alert the guy I shot and his friends than instant kill him).  Plus, since your skills level based on how much you use them (with base attribute points and points you can put into perk trees), it honestly reminds me more of something like if Bethesda made a Bladerunner RPG.  I'm not loving the way fast travel works, and some of the side quests can be a bit more tedious than fun (especially the ones under "Gigs").

That said, when you get used the mechanics and you're doing the main storyline, the game really shines.  There's often more than one way to go about an objective, and you're frequently faced with choices that may or may not have repercussions later.  A lot of the NPCs have genuine personalities (Jackie and Judy have been particular favorites of mine).  I've heard some people say the ending is a bit lacking- I can't comment on that, as I'm about 40 hours and as far as I can tell I've got plenty to go.  But I'm definitely having fun with it, and I'd say it's definitely worth checking out at this point in time.

There's a lot of people that seem really mad about it. Some of it I get; AB's been a really toxic company, and while MS is paying lip service to fixing the culture at AB it sounds like Bobby Kotick isn't going anywhere. Others are complaining about how it's anticompetitive and bad for gamers. And while they're not wrong, Sony's bought up their share of studios to shore up their stable of 1st party exclusives. Microsoft's biggest weakness has been a lack of exclusive software, it stands to reason they'd want to make some gains on that front. I'm guessing a lot of the anger, then, is because AB is a much bigger acquisition than Insomniac or Bluepoint, and because Sony's larger user base isn't bothered when Sony scores more exclusives, but same crowd will be mad if they have to get an Xbox for the next Call of Duty.

58 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

but same crowd will be mad if they have to get an Xbox for the next Call of Duty.

Yeah that seems the gist, it's still cool to "bag" on Xbox and Microsoft for whatever reason, I know Sony has bought more small studios that already made games for them like you mentioned, but I have a strong feeling most "gamers' complaining about this would be head over heels if Sony made this same purchase. It's really odd to me how for so many people Sony was apparently the "good guy", for the gamers, they're not and never were, they're a business like anyone else and just want your money just like everyone else. 

I say good for Microsoft, as you mentioned their weakness has always been a lack of exclusives, seems a moot point now. For me, as someone subscribed to GamePass, I'm pretty ecstatic, that awesome service will get better, it was already announced a number of  CoD and other big name titles are coming to GamePass, Diablo IV on GamePass day one will be pretty great. Let's be real here, if Microsoft wasn't going to make this purchase, someone else was, I say it's better that it's Microsoft then, say, EA or Tencent. 

In other completely unrelated news, I just tried out the Lady Gaga song pack for Beat Saber PSVR. So far there are one or two iffy ones in there, no matter what the difficulty, but the majority are pretty good. So far, "Bad Romance" has been the most fun, albeit slightly easy even on Expert. I was able to clear it in one go.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

In other completely unrelated news, I just tried out the Lady Gaga song pack for Beat Saber PSVR. So far there are one or two iffy ones in there, no matter what the difficulty, but the majority are pretty good. So far, "Bad Romance" has been the most fun, albeit slightly easy even on Expert. I was able to clear it in one go.

I didn't get the Lady Gaga pack, but I got the Skrillex one. I know dubstep became sort of a joke, with Skrillex often the face of that joke, but I don't think there's a better match between music and boxes than "Bangarang".

I've never played a Crysis, are the games even any good? I've never heard anyone actually talk about or mention the gameplay, or if the games are even fun, every discussion about this game is just about graphics and if you can or can't run it. I may check it out on my Series X, I don't know, these games always looked insanely good, but horribly generic, you're just another super-suit wearing super-soldier doing FPS stuff in tropic locales, that's just not that interesting. 

In other news Dying Light 2 is almost here, and I'm hyped, it seems Microsoft confirmed 60fps+ for those that have a Series X and a compatible TV. 

I really liked the first one, at least until the aliens started showing up.  It was kind of like Far Cry, except you had super powers from your suit.  It was super fun to use the stealth power, walk into an enemy camp, grab a guy, switch the strength power, then toss the guy so hard he'd land outside the camp.  The sequels were alright.  I mean, mechanically they were fine, but they swapped the Far Cry-style open world island for a series of more linear levels.

4 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I've never played a Crysis, are the games even any good? I've never heard anyone actually talk about or mention the gameplay, or if the games are even fun, every discussion about this game is just about graphics and if you can or can't run it. I may check it out on my Series X, I don't know, these games always looked insanely good, but horribly generic, you're just another super-suit wearing super-soldier doing FPS stuff in tropic locales, that's just not that interesting.

Yeah, the first was good. #2 and #3 were OK. I liked the simplified controls but it got a little bit Call-of-Duty-like with the action. I guess to appeal to the console and COD-players.

I swear I should just see who's buying out who every Monday (or Tuesday if a holiday weekend) morning. 2nd time this month my feeds starts blowing up about buyouts.

Sony Buys Bungie, Makers of Destiny 2 For $3.6B

Related but "'Don't care cuz I don't jump on these crazy bandwagon games"

Wordle Bought By The New York Times For 'Seven-Figure' Sum

There's more, but unrelated to gaming.

2 hours ago, azrael said:

I swear I should just see who's buying out who every Monday (or Tuesday if a holiday weekend) morning. 2nd time this month my feeds starts blowing up about buyouts.

Sony Buys Bungie, Makers of Destiny 2 For $3.6B

I'm waiting for Bungie to get out of this deal and get bought by Nintendo so they can complete the "owned by all the hardware companies" achievement.

I'm having a lot of fun with Dying Light 2. I absolutely loved the first game, it was definitely one of the better hidden gem games of the last generation, I played it to 100% on the base game and DLC, loved it. My only gripe with Dying Light 2 is the available settings for Series X, only 1080p at 60fps, really? I expected 4K at 60fps, 1080p at 120fps, I thought the Xbox store even said 60fps+ in the game's description. I can deal, 60fps is still workable, and it's a quite stable, locked frame rate, I just expected more considering all the other games I've played on my Series X with better quality and performance modes. 

23 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Watch them actually be PS4/X1 remasters and the Switch early releases are cloud-based like the KH games. Because that's working out really well. :lol:

Dunno about Front Mission, but can confirm that Chrono Cross is also coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Steam.

Kingdom Hearts 1-2-3, came to nintendo store... 😮 I always wanted to play the main games. I played Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep on PSP and really loved the game. It was amazing. I will definelly get Kingdom Hearts 1-2-3 on nintendo store. This is the opportunity, i was waiting for.  I'm so glad that i got a Switch, right now. :D

16 minutes ago, VF-Zero said:

Kingdom Hearts 1-2-3, came to nintendo store... 😮 I always wanted to play the main games. I played Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep on PSP and really loved the game. It was amazing. I will definelly get Kingdom Hearts 1-2-3 on nintendo store. This is the opportunity, i was waiting for.  I'm so glad that i got a Switch, right now. :D

On 2/9/2022 at 7:22 PM, kajnrig said:

Watch them actually be PS4/X1 remasters and the Switch early releases are cloud-based like the KH games. Because that's working out really well. :lol:

I'm curious to hear your impression, if it's any more favorable than the general consensus.

23 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I'm curious to hear your impression, if it's any more favorable than the general consensus.

Something is wrong with the Switch KH: 1 bundle, it says bad connection and got disconnected whenever i tried to play the game.... Nothing is wron with my connection, the game is broken...