All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

That's one of the things they supposedly improved on the 2020 Air.

And the 2019 model, and the 2018 model, and...

Though I guess the internet DOES say they gave up on the "butterfly switch" and went back to an industry-standard "scissor" mechanism(reports of longer key travel corroborate claims that they changed the mechanism substantially). Which I guess WOULD fix the problem, but it shouldn't take five years of blaming the customer to recognize that your new keyboard mechanism is worthless garbage.

Interesting victory for Activision, and by "interesting" I mean really cool. Far too many game devs go with slightly modifying real designs to skirt fears around lawsuits, but with this there's now precedent for using real vehicles, weapons, etc without licensing. Obviously doesn't apply to actual branding (logos, copyrighted names, etc), but as long as the models themselves are accurate, I could care less what they're called.

https://www.gtplanet.net/call-of-duty-legal-victory-20200403/

Finished Resident Evil 3 R and while it was good. I found it to be too much of a reimagination rather than a remake. Too many locations and certain content were cut from the original which leaves me alittle sour. Carlos' character was easily the most well fleshed out. Jill was good but her personality looked forced at times.

Heh, I'm doing the same thing I did with Doom Eternal... Playing the previous release.

So... RE2 remake is pretty good so far...

Seriously, though, I heard RE3 is a bit short and not as replayable as 2. It's a but disappointing; 3 was my favorite prior to 4 shaking things up.

The original Resident Evil 3 was already exceptionally short even by OG Resident Evil standards. Seeing as how Code Veronica was supposed to be RE3 but didn't get finished in time so they just made RE:Nemesis RE3, it was never even a full RE game, it was always supposed to be a quick side story game.

It's a wait for sale for me, the only other reason the original was worth the money was because it came packed with mercenaries mode, this one just comes packed with a garbage, janky, wonky as all hell assymetric multiplayer mode, Resident Evil Resistance. Which after 5 rounds of the beta on Xbox I can confirm it sucks, it feels unfinished and unpolished. Resident Evil Resistance was going to be a stand alone release but I think Capcom wised up and realized REmake 3 wasn't a $60 title so they padded it with this awful multiplayer mode.

Times are tough right now and money is tight, I went with Final Fantasy 7 Remake instead, RE3 should've been a $40 title, it's far shorter and has far less replayability then REmake 2.

And yeah, spoilers abound for FF7 Remake, it's already been streamed to completion on Twitch, all the secrets and surprises are out. Apparently, without spoiling things, the game takes some massive liberties with continuity and the story towards the end, and it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

The new Jill isn't a bad design but Julia Voth will always be my favorite Jill.

Jill Valentine | Wiki | Resident Evil Amino

Not surprised to be hearing many liberties are taken with the FF7R towards the end. They did stretch a section of the game that takes less than 10 hours in the original to 37 hours. Ideally, I hope Square can keep the entire story to no more than 3 games (chapters). Been holding off on a preorder to see what reviews but ofcourse I waited too long and I'll be having to wait an additional week or so before probably getting my hands on it.

Edited by Shadow

Pretty excited for this, never got around to playing the original although most story beats have been spoiled for me by watching Advent Children and playing Dirge of Cerberus + Crisis Core. Just sad it'll probably be 10 years before we see the whole story get finished :(

Easy Allies does a pretty good spoiler-free review. 

Well, while we're on the subject of FFVII:

The video gets some details wrong, but otherwise it's a pretty neat video if you have... an hour and a half to spare.

I have zero faith in Tetsuya Nomura and modern Square's ability to match the storytelling of the original game, and from what I've seen of the Remake, they truly lived down to my expectations.

11 hours ago, Major Focker said:

where can i get those yellow truck models?

can't wait for HW3! meantime, i'll start on Deserts of Kharak. i've been putting it off for fear of disappointment

You won't be dissapointed... it's a fun game and the art is beautifull.

On 4/7/2020 at 1:05 PM, kajnrig said:

Well, while we're on the subject of FFVII:

The video gets some details wrong, but otherwise it's a pretty neat video if you have... an hour and a half to spare.

I have zero faith in Tetsuya Nomura and modern Square's ability to match the storytelling of the original game, and from what I've seen of the Remake, they truly lived down to my expectations.

Agreed. I've never been a fan of Nomura and still think it's a shame they couldn't bring back Hironobu Sakaguchi to lead up on the story development. I don't know what to think about the big story changes. I'll hold my judgement until I actually get around to playing the Remake. Based on what I've heard, I think I'd of rather Square have focused on fixing the weaknesses in the original story while building it out in other areas. I also wonder if the team hadn't focused so much on artificially padding the game that we could have actually gotten beyond Midgar and seen areas like Kalm, Chocobo Farm and the Mythril Mine.

For the FIghting Fantasy VII Remake, I was fairly impressed that there was no day 1 patch, that on my internet, would take a week to 10 days to download in order to make the game playable.  I got to install it and look at the opening cinematic and that was it, but it didnt require a patch....pretty impressive in this day and age.

Twich

5 hours ago, twich said:

For the FIghting Fantasy VII Remake, I was fairly impressed that there was no day 1 patch, that on my internet, would take a week to 10 days to download in order to make the game playable.  I got to install it and look at the opening cinematic and that was it, but it didnt require a patch....pretty impressive in this day and age.

Twich

Apparently there's a graphical bug, though. Or, well...

Anyway, outside of the first reactor mission, it seems that in outdoors areas the game has a habit of loading in low-res textures and skybox/matte paintings. This isn't an asset streaming/LOD issue, which does also exist. But the streaming issue is common to all UE4 games, and most modern games in general. Objects eventually resolve into higher-resolution textures if you stand by them for long enough. But low-res textures that stick around makes it seem like they're the actual default textures that SE went with. The flowers in Aerith's house are probably the most noticeably low quality. You'll get cinematic camera angles that really focus on them, and they're... they stand out.

It might be a graphical bug, which might be patched out eventually. Maybe just an LOD setting wasn't set right or something. For skyboxes... maybe the same thing?

It might also be evidence that the game was being worked on with PS5 in mind. The higher bandwidth RAM and SSD of the PS5 means higher-quality textures and backgrounds can be streamed in more quickly. In order for them to get the same game running on PS4, they would have to scale back heavily on the data streaming, meaning much lower-quality textures as the default. That's my theory, anyway. Maybe if they hadn't put so much effort into modeling every pore of the main character models...

Doom Eternal badly needs a patch. Finally beat the campaign and went to Mission Select to unlock things I missed. This game randomly crashes to my desktop. I made sure my drivers were up-to-date and even lowered my graphical setting but no changes. It got particularly bad on Exultia when I couldn't even get to the Slayer gate without the game crashing.

Finished FF7 Remake, pretty good, 8/10 for me, it's not perfect and it's no 10/10 but it was good and I felt it lived up to the hype and wait. I clocked in at 39 hours and change total for my first playthrough, super thorough and meticulous, did everything and collected everything. 

Combat is fun, story gets admittedly idiotic, this isn't a 1:1 remake, this is very liberal towards the end with the remake part, for better or worse, the future installments will be covering pretty much brand new territory. Game is mostly gorgeous but as mentioned above, there are some garbage, PS1 era textures throughout the game, really terrible stuff, NPCs look mostly terrible and lip sync and mouth movements look awful outside major cut scenes.

I'm baffled at people paying scalper prices online for physical copies, there will be more made, and there will obviously be a future collected edition when the other parts release. Overall I enjoyed my time, it was 90% faithful remake, 10% crazy new Nomura schlock. I'm interested in seeing how they handle the sequel seeing as how it should be heading to the open world area, I'm also wondering how progression will work and if/how we can keep items and progress from this game to the next, the level cap is 50 so we'll see how they handle that too.

Anyone else pick up Trials of Mana? Despite being a big fan of Secret of Mana back in the day I never played Trials, even after I picked up the Mana collection. 

No idea which combination of starting characters is actually effective, so I picked dude with a sword (Duran) as my main with the cute girl with no pants (Angela) and the other cute girl (Riesz).

So for anyone that was looking forward to Last of Us 2, beware, it seems most of the story has been leaked online as of this morning. Avoid any and all threads that you can about it, because massive, massive spoilers abound, the entire ending is circulating on various video sites and social media.

Apparently a disgruntled dev or tester leaked everything, pretty shitty thing to do, a lot of people were looking forward to this, the first was one of PlayStations best exclusives ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't bought Mortal Kombat 11.  I bought but didn't spend a lot of time with Mortal Kombat 10; while it's kind of cool that they're following a generational story since the MK9 reboot I just wasn't into all the new characters, and I don't really play online.  But RoboCop?  Yeah, I'll pick up MK11 when they release a Komplete Edition.

I've been sinking a ton of time into Streets of Rage 4, absolutely brilliant game. I played the original three way back in the day on my Sega, some prefer Double Dragon, but Streets of Rage has always been and will always be my go to for a proper beat'em up.

The soundtrack is fantastic, the title screen alone sets the mood, smooth 90s style electric jazz, it's incredible. I don't think the soundtrack is as strong as the first or second game, but it's better then the third and it still stands on its own just fine, lots of talented folks were involved, and you could tell they had a passion for the 90s throwback style music. Graphics are great as well, truly a modern take on a classic side scrolling beat'em up, character models and backgrounds look excellent. 

Highly recommended, it's on Gamepass too so if you have it there's no reason not to check it out, about 5GB, 2 player online coop, 4 player splitscreen couch coop, lots of replayability and retro characters to unlock from the previous games, I'd say it's well worth the $25 asking price. I've been doing arcade mode with randoms online and it's a lot of fun, mixed bag with randoms though, lots of button mashing, and I'm usually stuck finishing up the last leg and level boss myself. 

11 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I've been sinking a ton of time into Streets of Rage 4, absolutely brilliant game. I played the original three way back in the day on my Sega, some prefer Double Dragon, but Streets of Rage has always been and will always be my go to for a proper beat'em up.

It's a great beat 'em up, definitely a worthy successor to the name.  SoR2 Axel is a beast.

Rumor has it the Mass Effect trilogy will be getting a HD remaster.  I'd be down for it, but I can only wonder if EA would do more than just make it look shinier.

I finished my first A Link to the Past Randomizer seed yesterday.

Man that was fun. I clocked in at 3:17 which doesn’t seem to bad but it was a pretty linear experience.

Definitely doing another one since the RNG was pretty generous this time.

Also finished SoR4 with a buddy. It is so nice to have a coop game on the switch again. Especially when you can’t meet in person.