All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Viggen simulator? Where's my SR-71 intercept mission? (though, actually need JA-37 for that)

Same developers also working on a high fidelity F-14A and B. With the F-5E already available, I know folks in the community are gearing up for Tomcat vs. Mig-28 simulated fights. ;)

FYI Titanfall 2 is having a free trial weekend on all platforms starting today through Sunday night.

Best FPS I've played in years and I play them all. The mech on mech combat mode Last Titan Standing is top notch.

Edited by LOW_ALT

Finally! I can't remember the last time a good Ace Combat game came out. Maybe the PSP ones? 6 was pretty meh, and Assault Horizon was crap (although Assault Horizon Legacy on the 3DS is actually a remake of Ace Combat 2, so I guess that was the last good one).

While we're mentioning it, it's a bummer that all kinds of PS2 series got HD remasters for the PS3/PS4 but no one thought to put Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero into a collection.

I wasn't too excited for AC7 after the first trailer came out but after seeing the new trailer I'm hyped up and ready to go. I'm sure all that footage was taken on the PS4 Pro so it probably won't look that good when I get it on my regular ole PS4 but ehh graphics were never really that important to me anyways. Maybe when we get closer to AC7's release we will get the AC HD collection, one can only hope they are smart enough to do that.

I've long neglected FFIV and I've only just recently started playing it for the first time (the original SNES version).

That's the best one!

I highly recommend VI, I consider it the best and still play through it from time to time.

I'm also skeptical about XV, the later FF games (post-VII) took on what I feel is an unhealthy focus on distracting semi-optional side quests and raid missions that detract from having a solid core story. World about to end? Spend a week hunting rare critters for loot so you can farm chocobos in a theme park to get an upgraded doodad to use against the end boss because the equipment you run across in shops/dungeons isn't good enough. I might get it down the line if it gets reviewed favorably by players though.

Right now I have my gaming planned out as:

Last Guardian (starting TOMORROW!)

Horizon Zero Dawn (Feb)

Zelda BotW (June)

Misc short or handheld games in between - that Blaster Master remake looks neat, and I know my old high school buddy is going to be online with MvC Infinite waiting to challenge me.

Mass Effect Andromeda looks pretty good too, I may have to pick it up later.

I'm not surprised by some of the reviews on the Last Guardian. The game is gorgeous but suffers from dodgy mechanics and AI issues. Figured a game with this many development problems would have these. So mechanically, you have to look at as if it were released back in 2009/2010. Still fully intend to pick it up as I loved SoTC and Ico but I'm debating on waiting till it goes down alittle in price and picking up FFXV for the holiday season instead.

I highly recommend VI, I consider it the best and still play through it from time to time.

Played FFVI awhile ago (the FF Anthology version). Thinking about playing the GBA version of VI sometime in the near future. VI is still my favorite as far as story is concerned. I didn't feel the wheels on the Final Fantasy van start to come off until FFX. Maybe that's because Square redeemed themselves in my eyes alittle with IX after the disjointed story in VIII.

Edited by Shadow

Oh, Yakuza. If there's one series that defied all my expectations, this would be the one.

It's funny really, three years ago I woulda sworn we would never get Yakuza 5 localized and look at us now. I'm sure we will never get Ishin but at least we are getting the main line games and that's good enough for me. Here's hoping the Yakuza 2 remake is more than just rumors and we get that too!

I'm not surprised by some of the reviews on the Last Guardian. The game is gorgeous but suffers from dodgy mechanics and AI issues. Figured a game with this many development problems would have these. So mechanically, you have to look at as if it were released back in 2009/2010. Still fully intend to pick it up as I loved SoTC and Ico but I'm debating on waiting till it goes down alittle in price and picking up FFXV for the holiday season instead.

The camera is a little awkward to control from time to time, but I would say the controls feel like they were ripped right from SotC. It's especially noticeable when climbing on Trico. The puzzles are creative without being repetitive or overly difficult, and the action controls are pretty minimal with a nice touch of not letting you run right off cliffs.

Graphically the game is so gorgeous I have found myself just watching some still moments when Trico goes off to do something animalistic like roll around in a puddle or sniff around at things. After one particularly suspenseful puzzle he looked back and sat down, and I was happy to follow suit for a moment. I almost forgave him for (slight spoiler)

eating my character

earlier.

I'm just getting bits of the overall story from the environment right now, but these games have always tied it all up near the end. I won't fault anyone for waiting on a price drop, but it's definitely worth playing at some point.

Not sure if this has been posted. But the recent released original Nintendo Classi Mini - Family Computer is now available again at AmiAmi for Y6458. So for people who missed the west version released one, and to those who don't want to pay the ridiculous $250 aftermarket price, this is a great alternative. Just don't play Zelda and the rest of the RPG ones or ones that has stories since it will be in Nihonggo. ^_^

GAME_0017100.jpg

GAME_0017100_07.jpg

Pass. If all I cared about were the games I'd emulate them on one of the numerous devices I already have than can play NES ROMs. The NES Classic is all about hardware nostalgia, and a Famicom just isn't enough I grew up with.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a PC and happened to not have either Wolfenstein: The New Order or its sequel, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, DO NOT buy them. I just got around to downloading/playing them yesterday and today, and by god are they D-tier PC ports. They're so poorly optimized for PCs, and by all indications they were never patched to any significant degree. I've been trying all manner of tweaks and fixes and still can't get rid of the dips down into the ~30 FPS or the constant screen stutter (indicative of frame-time problems?), even when the game is at its lowest graphical preset.

When Dark Souls, infamous for its subpar PC port, can be more easily modded than you, you know you've fraked up somewhere in the optimization process.

7 hours ago, kajnrig said:

If you have a PC and happened to not have either Wolfenstein: The New Order or its sequel, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, DO NOT buy them. I just got around to downloading/playing them yesterday and today, and by god are they D-tier PC ports. They're so poorly optimized for PCs, and by all indications they were never patched to any significant degree. I've been trying all manner of tweaks and fixes and still can't get rid of the dips down into the ~30 FPS or the constant screen stutter (indicative of frame-time problems?), even when the game is at its lowest graphical preset.

When Dark Souls, infamous for its subpar PC port, can be more easily modded than you, you know you've fraked up somewhere in the optimization process.

Uh... I don't have The Old Blood, but that wasn't my experience with the New Order. Ran fine on my PC, and I'd handily recommend it as a good single player FPS that doesn't just let you decide how you want to play it but gives you three different skill trees for three different styles of play.

Keep in mind, many PC games, especially the FPSs are console ports. To pick on the favorite stereotype, CoD on PC in recent releases has been plagued with limited video options and some bad input issues (namely mouse input) which have had no signs of resolution. If you were turned off by Wolfenstein, might I suggest Doom.

asdf

On 1/12/2017 at 7:52 AM, mikeszekely said:

Uh... I don't have The Old Blood, but that wasn't my experience with the New Order. Ran fine on my PC, and I'd handily recommend it as a good single player FPS that doesn't just let you decide how you want to play it but gives you three different skill trees for three different styles of play.

Yeah, apparently both of these games just don't play well with AMD hardware. I just experienced framerate drops into the single digits even after optimization tweaks got it to go at 50-60 otherwise. Restarting took care of the issue, but only until next time...

It's not entirely the engine. RAGE and The Evil Within, both developed on the same Id Tech 5 engine, share texture pop-in issues with these two games (which is a problem on both AMD and Nvidia hardware), but they otherwise don't have a problem with either brand (or at least they have the same problems on both brands). It's only these two games that selectively target AMD cards. Whatever driver issues might have existed have been ironed out; it's the game's fault at this point.

On 1/12/2017 at 10:21 AM, azrael said:

Keep in mind, many PC games, especially the FPSs are console ports. To pick on the favorite stereotype, CoD on PC in recent releases has been plagued with limited video options and some bad input issues (namely mouse input) which have had no signs of resolution. If you were turned off by Wolfenstein, might I suggest Doom.

If I could trade these two for Doom, I would. As it is right now, I feel too slighted to give Id any more of my money. Give it a month or two, once the memory of these games is gone from my mind, I'll probably gladly shell out twenty bucks or so for it.

• 2 weeks later...