All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

assuming that you're new at installing patches and hooking the ps3 up online, i'm going to assume you may be hesitant to replace the hdd,

While this may be the case, I maintain that anyone who can operate a screwdriver is capable of replacing the hard drive in a PS3. And that's just to open the compartment. Actually removing and putting in a new hard drive is as easy as plugging a USB drive into a USB port.

The hard part is making and restoring a backup.

Guest davidwhangchoi

While this may be the case, I maintain that anyone who can operate a screwdriver is capable of replacing the hard drive in a PS3. And that's just to open the compartment. Actually removing and putting in a new hard drive is as easy as plugging a USB drive into a USB port.

you know whats funny? i had to go to lowes to get a small enough size right screw driver, bc i didn't have one around the house. i was lazy and almost stripped the thread of that blue screw using a larger head.(that happens often with many ps3 users, that screw is easily susceptible to stripping) so for two months i didn't bother... haha and just kept playing on even though i had a 500gb replacement ready.. anyways, i gave that piece of advice in case he might be too lazy or didn't have the tools and wanted to patch splintercell right away.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

So, I've started to play Assassin's Creed IV. As a fan of the series, but someone who was seriously disappointed with III, IV brings back all the fun that permeated the first two numbered games.

Edward is just such a likable protagonist (compared to Connor) and the setting really makes graphics and Edward's skills pop. There are cities for AC1/2 style free running, but the outside terrain really lends to AC3 style tree running. That, and ship exploration is SUPER fun as well, and really well fleshed out. Water has never looked this good....

I just finished AC4 with 94% completion. Stay away from the legendary ships until you're almost fully upgraded on your ship. Well, fight one once and see.

Buy the swords that cost $14,000 asap, it'll make life easier and money isn't really an issue.

Get the 5 Templar keys asap as well so you get good damage reduction armor though I love the Mayan armor best. It deflects bullets so you don't get shot.

Hope that makes your life easier.

assuming that you're new at installing patches and hooking the ps3 up online, i'm going to assume you may be hesitant to replace the hdd,

two solutions i suggest:

one, what mike suggested is the best thing you can do but you do need an external hdd source to back it up. i think since you have 40 gb i'm assuming you have no other media that needs to be backed up, if that's the case, just get a cheap usb stick and just back up yours saves on it bc it won't take much memory. just replace the hdd and redownload everything. since you have 40gb it'll prob take less time to do this than the back it up and transfer process.

two: is the lazy way, is to keep the 40 gb hdd, try installing the patch and see if it fits on the hdd. the ps3 will automatically tell you if your drive is too full before trying to download it so no worries. from there you can install the patch and not worry or if there is too much stuff delete a game install you currently not using and try again.

Many thanks for the walkthrough, David!

I'll have to go with option 2 for now, not so much out of laziness but the fact that I wouldn't know where to begin searching for an internal HDD--I can always buy one online, but it can be a hassle getting it replaced in case it's defective or incompatible. I have an old 250 GB one from a PC, but I think the ones PS3's use are the smaller ones you find in laptops.

That, and the fact that I've been spending a little too much money lately; first, on a new 1TB external HD and then a home theater system, not to mention HT Catwoman and Revoltech Raiden. Not sure I want to spend even more on an HDD if I can help it.

Edited by GU-11

And there in lies the reason I'm still making do with a 40GB HDD. On youtube, I saw tons of people getting frustrated and yelling while trying to get their newly installed HDD's to work.

you know whats funny? i had to go to lowes to get a small enough size right screw driver, bc i didn't have one around the house. i was lazy and almost stripped the thread of that blue screw using a larger head.(that happens often with many ps3 users, that screw is easily susceptible to stripping) so for two months i didn't bother... haha and just kept playing on even though i had a 500gb replacement ready.. anyways, i gave that piece of advice in case he might be too lazy or didn't have the tools and wanted to patch splintercell right away.

Fortunately for me, I've got a whole set of precision screwdrivers, so that's not going to be a problem. The biggest problem is getting an HDD.

Damn all this online patching BS. Why can't these effing games just work right out of the box like they used to?!

I remember a couple years ago on black Friday; some guy got stabbed shot in the parking lot of the Walmart nearest to my house over a PS3.

:mellow:

:edit:

I think it was this one:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shooting-outside-calif-walmart-1-wounded/

Edited by anime52k8

Guest davidwhangchoi

I remember a couple years ago on black Friday; some guy got stabbed shot in the parking lot of the Walmart nearest to my house over a PS3.

:mellow:

:edit:

I think it was this one:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shooting-outside-calif-walmart-1-wounded/

i just went to target after i posted cause it's next door, i needed some snacks... i asked to customer service if i can buy it now and price match over the weekend sale and she said target won't do that for black friday weekend deals from the 28th- the 2nd.

i don't want to risk my life over 70 dollars, i'm just staying in and going to stick to online shopping where i'm safe.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

And there in lies the reason I'm still making do with a 40GB HDD. On youtube, I saw tons of people getting frustrated and yelling while trying to get their newly installed HDD's to work.

Fortunately for me, I've got a whole set of precision screwdrivers, so that's not going to be a problem. The biggest problem is getting an HDD.

Damn all this online patching BS. Why can't these effing games just work right out of the box like they used to?!

It's really not that difficult. IIRC, you'll need an external hard drive or a really big flash drive, and I think it needs to be formatted as FAT 32. I can walk you through formatting, if you need help.

Once that's done the drive is connected to the PS3, there should be an option in the Settings section of the XMB for making a backup. It's been awhile, but it should be something like System Settings - Backup Utility. The backup may take awhile. Patches for you game data and PS3 games downloaded from the PSN should copy, as well as most of your save files. PSone and PS2 games and game saves won't be copied, though (but the games can be re-downloaded from your PSN account).

When the backup is done, on the left edge of the PS3 you'll find a rectangular panel. Pop it off reveal a single screw. Removing the screw will let you remove the drive cage. Again, IIRC, there's no other fasteners, and you can simply grasp the drive and pull it out. In fact, there should be a sort of wire handle for doing so. As you do so, note whether it's label-side up or down, take note of location and placement of the connectors, and note the orientation in the cage, to ensure that you line up the new drive correctly.

There will be a pair of screws on each side of the cage. Remove them to take the drive out of the cage, put the new drive in the cage, then screw it in. In theory, pretty much any 2.5" SATA drive should work. That's the size used in laptops. Of practical note is that the PS3 was designed to work with 5400rpm drives... that's actually good for you! 5400rpm drives are more common in that size; 7200rpm drives are considered high-performance, and will run you a premium anyway... just make sure not to buy anything slower than 5400. I usually buy Western Digital drives myself, but brand is really six of one and half a dozen of the other. I tend to buy computer parts at Newegg, but Amazon should have them too. Your local Best Buy should have them too, for that matter.

Once the drive is in the cage, it's just a matter of slotting it back in, putting the screw back, and closing the panel. Once you've done all that, hook the PS3 back up and turn it on. It'll ask you if you want to format the new drive (you do).

After the new drive is formatted, it's simply a matter of signing back into PSN and restoring your backup from the external drive. You can restore it from the same System Settings - Backup Utility in the Settings option on the XMB. It's honestly very easy.

PS3 SLIM EDIT: If you have a Slim (no idea if this applies to a Super Slim, though, as I've never had one), the process is almost exactly the same. The only difference is that the drive isn't located on the left side. Instead, on bottom of the PS3 you'll see a much smaller panel. Under it is a screw; remove it. Now, on the front of the console, under the Blu-ray drive, in a second panel. Slide it to the right to remove it to reveal the drive cage.

Edited by mikeszekely

It's really not that difficult. IIRC, you'll need an external hard drive or a really big flash drive, and I think it needs to be formatted as FAT 32. I can walk you through formatting, if you need help.

Once that's done the drive is connected to the PS3, there should be an option in the Settings section of the XMB for making a backup. It's been awhile, but it should be something like System Settings - Backup Utility. The backup may take awhile. Patches for you game data and PS3 games downloaded from the PSN should copy, as well as most of your save files. PSone and PS2 games and game saves won't be copied, though (but the games can be re-downloaded from your PSN account).

When the backup is done, on the left edge of the PS3 you'll find a rectangular panel. Pop it off reveal a single screw. Removing the screw will let you remove the drive cage. Again, IIRC, there's no other fasteners, and you can simply grasp the drive and pull it out. As you do so, note whether it's label-side up or down, take note of location and placement of the connectors, and note the orientation in the cage, to ensure that you line up the new drive correctly.

There will be a pair of screws on each side of the cage. Remove them to take the drive out of the cage, put the new drive in the cage, then screw it in. In theory, pretty much any 2.5" SATA drive should work. That's the size used in laptops. Of practical note is that the PS3 was designed to work with 5400rpm drives... that's actually good for you! 5400rpm drives are more common in that size; 7200rpm drives are considered high-performance, and will run you a premium anyway... just make sure not to buy anything slower than 5400. I usually buy Western Digital drives myself, but brand is really six of one and half a dozen of the other. I tend to buy computer parts at Newegg, but Amazon should have them too. Your local Best Buy should have them too, for that matter.

Once the drive is in the cage, it's just a matter of slotting it back in, putting the screw back, and closing the panel. Once you've done all that, hook the PS3 back up and turn it on. It'll ask you if you want to format the new drive (you do).

After the new drive is formatted, it's simply a matter of signing back into PSN and restoring your backup from the external drive. You can restore it from the same System Settings - Backup Utility in the Settings option on the XMB. It's honestly very easy.

I can't thank you enough for that detailed walkthrough, Mike! Copied and pasted to a doc file for later reference. Next step is to find an HDD.

Question: will a used HDD from an old laptop be useable?

BTW, I just went online for the first time using the PS3. Not nearly as harrowing as I imagined (yeah, yeah, I know; welcome to the 21st century :lol: ). Just plugged in the ethernet cable and the console told me there was an update available for Arkham Origins. I selected "yes", and it just downloaded. Pretty small file, thankfully--67 MB.

Will be trying that out for SC - Blacklist next. Hopefully the file will be as small as the patch for Arkham Origins.

Oh, and a couple of questions on PSN: Do I have to pay to register? What info will I have to provide. Not very comfortable with giving them my credit card number and actual address after that hacking incident a couple of years back.

i just went to target after i posted cause it's next door, i needed some snacks... i asked to customer service if i can buy it now and price match over the weekend sale and she said target won't do that for black friday weekend deals from the 28th- the 2nd.

i don't want to risk my life over 70 dollars, i'm just staying in and going to stick to online shopping where i'm safe.

Damn, what neighborhood is that, where you get mugged in broad daylight coming out of a hypermarket?

Guest davidwhangchoi

Damn, what neighborhood is that, where you get mugged in broad daylight coming out of a hypermarket?

Very safe area in NJ, lot of Koreans around but black friday some crazy's come out. i'm staying in...

I seriously need some help in Arkham Origins. In the Gotham Police Dept. mission, I can't get past the part where you have to walk a tight-wire over a large group of police and do a silent takedown on the cop at the vending machine. The problem here is that the so-called silent takedown isn't so silent. I always end up alerting the group of cops.

If I try to ignore the cop at the vending machine and just decrypt the lock on the door, the cops STILL get alerted when the door unlocks! F#&king hell!

The game is seriously trying my patience!

Is there any way at all to get past this?

Never mind. I just found out that in order to do a silent takedown, just press triangle and don't press square for "silent" smash when prompted.

Edited by GU-11

I can't thank you enough for that detailed walkthrough, Mike!

Not a problem.

Next step is to find an HDD.

Question: will a used HDD from an old laptop be useable?

Yes. But, and I say this as someone who used to work in the computer repair business, laptops tend to take a lot of abuse. The single most common reason people brought laptops to me, even more so than viruses, was hard drive failure. Complicating matters further, a bad hard drive might only show occasional signs of trouble, or fail a SMART test, but otherwise seem ok. For those reasons, I do recommend buying a new one. They're not even particularly expensive anymore. I found this WD 500GB on Amazon for a little over $50.

Oh, and a couple of questions on PSN: Do I have to pay to register?

No.

What info will I have to provide.

It's been several years since I made mine, but I'm pretty sure you can create a PSN ID with just your name, email, and the handle you want to use. I'm also pretty sure you can buy PSN cards and PS+ cards, so you don't have to have a credit card on file with them. I could be wrong, though.

Not very comfortable with giving them my credit card number and actual address after that hacking incident a couple of years back.

I suppose that's understandable. For what it's worth, though, I didn't experience any unusual activity on my PSN account, my credit card, or any other accounts. For me, it was a password change, a mild inconvenience, and some free games. Plus, while no system is foolproof, you have to figure that a debacle like that would have pressured them to beef up their security.

For the Sony guys, Between November 27th and December 18th of 2013, and then from January 8th through January 22nd of 2014, you can download two PS Mobile games to play on your PlayStation Certified smartphone, tablet, or PS Vita for free! Starting today, they will be giving away 10 free games (two each week for five weeks) to all PS Mobile gamers.

Anyone playing Disney Infinity? Leaning on the Wii U version though the PS3 version sales are making it a bit attractive. Mostly for my kids, though I imagine I'll be playing some.

Yes. But, and I say this as someone who used to work in the computer repair business, laptops tend to take a lot of abuse. The single most common reason people brought laptops to me, even more so than viruses, was hard drive failure. Complicating matters further, a bad hard drive might only show occasional signs of trouble, or fail a SMART test, but otherwise seem ok. For those reasons, I do recommend buying a new one. They're not even particularly expensive anymore. I found this WD 500GB on Amazon for a little over $50.

Sounds affordable enough. Hopefully I can find one that cheap at my local Amazon.

It's been several years since I made mine, but I'm pretty sure you can create a PSN ID with just your name, email, and the handle you want to use. I'm also pretty sure you can buy PSN cards and PS+ cards, so you don't have to have a credit card on file with them. I could be wrong, though.

That's good news. I did a little googling, and thankfully they do sell PSN cards at my nearest shopping mall.

I suppose that's understandable. For what it's worth, though, I didn't experience any unusual activity on my PSN account, my credit card, or any other accounts. For me, it was a password change, a mild inconvenience, and some free games. Plus, while no system is foolproof, you have to figure that a debacle like that would have pressured them to beef up their security.

I'm trying to stay away from giving out my personal info if possible. I once bought a game online from a local store, and after the shop shut down months later, my credit card informed me that someone else was trying to use it overseas!

That said, Sony should be at least a little safer than some random online store.

Yup looks like lost in nightmares, desperate escape and versus mode are still available. I recommend just getting Lost In Nightmares if you are an old RE fan, the other 2 addons were forgettable. https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/search/f=%5Eresident%2Bevil%2B5%7Cbucket~games?smcid=ps:shop-now:ps-psn:playstation-store

Edited by dizman

Guest davidwhangchoi

for some reason i can't get into acII, revelations, III.

i think the first game was the worst. i listened to a friend and and he told AC it was amazing. i brought it and felt the same as the opinions above.

i read all the reviews that ac ii, is much improved, i played about 4 hours of it and stopped, it was boring.

i have three now and played about 5 hours and fell asleep. i just use it for bench marking...

my problem is no matter how good i hear each sequel is,

i can't seem to get into the missions... still feels like the first game... i know i shouldn't judge a game till i finish it, but shouldn't the game at least initially draw me in?

i feel like i'm have to force feed myself to get into it and i just don't want to as i got such a backlog of titles plus all the new releases have my attention.

even though i said all this , stayed up all night for thanksgiving deals and impulse brought blackflag for 35 shipped. fool me once shame on you, fool me 4x.... i'm still falling for it

Guest davidwhangchoi

after i posted on the ps4 thread a couple of mins ago, i just decided to stop by my target in edgewater, nj an hour after it opened. no lines, i walked to the back and they had no zelda 3ds xl bundles out, i asked the guy and he said they're not around so i asked to check the back...

lo and behold: he comes out w/ about 18 of them so some guy picks up all of them and puts them in his cart, (i can't believe the target worker just let him) so i stopped him and said wait, let me grab mine since i asked for it, i pick up two and got them 150 ea. 304.83 total after tax and 5% using target card.

photo2_zps83102d5f.jpgphoto1_zps0c93bdf4.jpg

a very happy thanksgiving! now i got to return the one i got from walmart for 215.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Yup looks like lost in nightmares, desperate escape and versus mode are still available. I recommend just getting Lost In Nightmares if you are an old RE fan, the other 2 addons were forgettable. https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/search/f=%5Eresident%2Bevil%2B5%7Cbucket~games?smcid=ps:shop-now:ps-psn:playstation-store

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll be getting the Lst in Nightmares mission as well as the one with Jill in it, if for no other reason than the fact that I have the HT Jill Battle Suit Version fig. :D

after i posted on the ps4 thread a couple of mins ago, i just decided to stop by my target in edgewater, nj an hour after it opened. no lines, i walked to the back and they had no zelda 3ds xl bundles out, i asked the guy and he said they're not around so i asked to check the back...

lo and behold: he comes out w/ about 18 of them so some guy picks up all of them and puts them in his cart, (i can't believe the target worker just let him) so i stopped him and said wait, let me grab mine since i asked for it, i pick up two and got them 150 ea. 304.83 total after tax and 5% using target card.

a very happy thanksgiving! now i got to return the one i got from walmart for 215.

Glad you made it back alive, David! :p:D

Guest davidwhangchoi

Is a PS3 with 250gig HDD bundled with last of us and arkham city for $200 a good deal? I never owned a PS3

that's the BF bundle, it's a decent deal.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

haha thanks GU-11, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Live to eat turkey sandwiches another day! :lol:

Is a PS3 with 250gig HDD bundled with last of us and arkham city for $200 a good deal? I never owned a PS3

Given that the PS3 has at least another year's worth of support and new games not to mention a decent roster of older games, it's not a bad deal. IMO, go for it.

Anyone playing Disney Infinity? Leaning on the Wii U version though the PS3 version sales are making it a bit attractive. Mostly for my kids, though I imagine I'll be playing some.

Watch out for that game and any of the Skylanders as they are quite the money pit. Something I didn't like about the DI game was how you couldn't play a character outside of their respective story level. So you can't play as Aladdin in the Toy Story level. I believe you can create your own levels but I'm not aware of how child friendly the level creator is.

Skylanders will let you play any character anywhere but some areas are inaccessible unless you own a character with a certain trait.

I'd check out youtube and watch some videos to see what your kids will like better.

I think I did pretty well for black Friday. I spent a little under $200 and got

Assassin's Creed IV

Lego Marvel SuperHeros

Skyrim Legendary edition

Dishonored GOY edition

Bioshock Infinite

Resident Evil Racoon City

I Decided against the PS3 because I really didn't have the space for it, and I really had no interest in owning Arkham again. Money's also tight this year so that played a factor. I really envy a lot of you guys that can drop $400+ on a PS4 and scantilly clad anime figures or valks all at once. ;)

I did the best for Black Friday! I had a nice dinner with family, then I slept in until 9:00! Plus, if the Steam Autumn Sale is anything like the Summer Sale, I'll buy more games than I'll actually play for under $50. So far, though, I've spent $7 and got Evoland and Papers, Please.

What a douche! Scalper.

Guest davidwhangchoi

What a douche! Scalper.

it was the one day i was ashamed he's Korean :rolleyes: (i'm being racist against my own) the guy and his three friends took all the other 3ds xl colors... just wiped them all out. ridiculous, just ruins it for the other shoppers. i was lucky to ask the target worker when i did.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I think I did pretty well for black Friday. I spent a little under $200 and got

Assassin's Creed IV

Lego Marvel SuperHeros

Skyrim Legendary edition

Dishonored GOY edition

Bioshock Infinite

Resident Evil Racoon City

I Decided against the PS3 because I really didn't have the space for it, and I really had no interest in owning Arkham again. Money's also tight this year so that played a factor. I really envy a lot of you guys that can drop $400+ on a PS4 and scantilly clad anime figures or valks all at once. ;)

that's a good grab. i got a few of those games as well yesterday. nice!

Guest davidwhangchoi

Did anyone get beyond two souls? I tried to get in at walmart while returning my zelda bundle and it wasnt on sale for 25 anymore but full price. Bummer... They said bf prices ended 2 hours ago...